Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM

96 posts, read 360,616 times

Advertisements

Given the OP's budget and job at Penn, I agree to look around Clark Park or in the 52nd Street area. A quick bus ride would be a time and cost savings vs. living north and east, which could require a few changes or a more expensive trip via regional rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,463 times
Many, many, thanks again to all of you for taking time to help out. I'm heading out tomorrow to do some neighborhood research. May have a couple of follow up questions when I return. Your input has been invaluable.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltimes View Post
Given the OP's budget and job at Penn, I agree to look around Clark Park or in the 52nd Street area. A quick bus ride would be a time and cost savings vs. living north and east, which could require a few changes or a more expensive trip via regional rail.
I just wanted to mention that 52nd Street is going to be more feasible than very close to Clark Park. I have a friend that lives below 50th near Baltimore and there's a place on her block that needs all kinds of work and its going for about $150k and it doesn't sit inside of the Penn Alexander catchment (and I mean it needs work - like $100k+). I think $60k finds below 50th might be very hard to find, and below 47th near Clark Park and in the catchment impossible. The good news is, that area is constantly changing, and every year, one or two blocks further west look better and better. If you don't find anything off of Baltimore, Cedar, or Osage, make sure you try looking up Springfield to about 50th/51st as well to see if there are options it that direction. But in general, when staying below 52nd street near Baltimore, those below $100k finds aren't really there that much anymore from what I've seen. You'll do better with those type of finds in Germantown IMO.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 PM

25 posts, read 74,648 times
The second housing bubble is underway. Houses will be cheaper. They keep lowering their prices. Look at foreclosures and bank owned homes and try to buy one cheap.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,062 times
What do you guys have to say about West Powelton? Could i buy a property there for $80k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia