Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:02 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,584,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehua View Post
Any safety tips??????

Just use common sense, such as don't walk down dark alleys. Things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,641 times
Default I am a native Philadelphian

I am so glad that you had the where-with-all to ask for advice from someone who actually lives in the City you are considering a move to. I find that a lot responses to City questions here are posted by folks who live in the Philly burbs, and frankly most of them don't know much about the "City", and how could they, they don't live there.

I was born in Philadelphia. I grew up in North Philly (which is one of the toughest neighborhoods in the inner City). I still live in the City, but in a "different" neigborhood. One that is safer, better schools, diversity, etc.

If you are still considering a move to the Center City/Graduate area, then you have picked a great area. Over the past 10 years on so Center City (is what people in the area call our downtown) has been going through an extensive reinvention. Old abandon and boarded up homes have been transformed into new townhomes, condo, apartment units. A higher police presence keeps the streets safer for visitor and natives alike. There is an organized effect to keep the streets cleaned, and to build the city up as a cultural and art center. By living in this area you will be close to public transport, historical sites, museums, and the theater district; many within walking distance depending on where you live. Oh, I should mention amazing restaurants, clubs, and a social network of singles if you are still looking.

What disappoints me about the city (you knew it all couldn't be good), is that there is very little or no effect by City governement to clean up the areas where there are falling down homes, high crime, and a hopelessness in peoples' attitudes about life. We have a number of areas such as this (North Philly, Southwest Philly, Kensington). These are the areas that you hear about when the media is talking about murder number 50, these are the areas where the public school system stinks, these are the areas that have the highest crime rates and the least amount of police presence. Center City is where for the most part the upper crest live and work. Keep in mind however, no matter where you live you must always be alert and use common sense when out and about.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:37 AM

7 posts, read 25,347 times
Default grad student apartments

Try the Penn off-campus housing site : Office of Off-Campus Living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia