Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,335 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Philadelphia area and my husband has a job in the Navy Yard. We're looking for a quiet residential suburb with highly rated public schools and a short (less than 30 minutes) commute to the Navy Yard. It would be great if there were shops, restaurants, etc. in walking distance too. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 06:51 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Media has everything you're looking for. However, it will be more than a half hour commute, particularly from Media. Assuming you're looking solely on the PA side, the closest suburbs are to the west in Delaware County. Unfortunately, many of the inner ring 'burbs in Delco leave something to be desired, especially regarding school reputation.

It would be helpful also to know your budget range for a home.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:58 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
I'd look in New Jersey for communities close to the Walt Whitman bridge and take that to South Philly.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:59 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,623 times
What is your price range? I'd say Jersey would be best to get the 30 minute commute to the Naval Yard, you can try Haddonfield and Cherry Hill. In PA, Wallingord and Swarthmore would work as well.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Media has everything you're looking for. However, it will be more than a half hour commute, particularly from Media.
I don't agree with Tone here. You can regularly get from Media to the Navy Yard in 30 minutes or less.

Points of reference from my daily commute: From Media (exit 3 on 476) to the Walt Whitman bridge takes 20 minutes in off-peak times and 25 minutes during typical morning commute. (476 South of exit 3 and 95 North aren't bad at all.) It sometimes takes a bit longer during the evening commute because a lot of traffic stays on 95 South toward Delaware, causing congestion at the 476 split. You're probably look at 30 minutes, maybe 35 at worst on the way home.

Though to get to the Navy Yard from Media you'd probably take the Platt Bridge, making the trip even shorter. Platt gets a bit more backed up in the mornings than the Girard Point Bridge but it's not going to be a big deal.

I'd definitely encourage you to consider the Media-RoseTree & Wallingford-Swarthmore school districts.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:35 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post

Points of reference from my daily commute: From Media (exit 3 on 476) to the Walt Whitman bridge takes 20 minutes in off-peak times and 25 minutes during typical morning commute. (476 South of exit 3 and 95 North aren't bad at all.) It sometimes takes a bit longer during the evening commute because a lot of traffic stays on 95 South toward Delaware, causing congestion at the 476 split. You're probably look at 30 minutes, maybe 35 at worst on the way home.
This was always my experience...that coming home took a bit longer than going in. I-95 North is usually a breeze in the AM (at least the section you're husband would have to travel). I-95 South as, Philly v Boston, points out does back up and can crawl a bit leading up to 476.

That said, Media is a wonderful neighborhood. If I had kids, I'd move here. Wallingford/Swarthmore is beautiful too and schools are a touch better- but the property taxes are higher (NJ high).

Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
I don't agree with Tone here. You can regularly get from Media to the Navy Yard in 30 minutes or less.

Though to get to the Navy Yard from Media you'd probably take the Platt Bridge, making the trip even shorter. Platt gets a bit more backed up in the mornings than the Girard Point Bridge but it's not going to be a big deal.

I'd definitely encourage you to consider the Media-RoseTree & Wallingford-Swarthmore school districts.
I stand corrected. I admit to making a "guesstimate". I just did a map search which backs up your prediction, primarily using I-95. So that is good news for the OP!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:14 AM

316 posts, read 1,015,623 times
I just remembered that someone had asked about the Navy Yard before and it ended up he was talking about the location in Northeast Philly. All of the suggestions above are assuming you are going to the main Naval Yard that is off of 95 near South Philly and Center City. If you are looking for the one in NE Philly, I believe its official name includes Naval Support, then you can look in the Abington, Lower Moreland, Upper Dublin, Jenkintown, Cheltenham, and Hatboro-Horsham school districts to get your 30 minute commute.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:23 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
New Jersey would also work for the northeast location using the Tacony Palmyra or Betsy Ross bridge.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Research Rose Tree-Media School district and Wallingford-Swarthmore school district. Those are your 2 best options imo.

Rose Tree-Media includes the towns of Media,Upper Providence,Middletown Township,

Wallingford-Swarthmore includes Swarthmore,Wallingford,Nether Providence,Rose Valley.

Theres not a bad town in the bunch

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia