Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I actually don't think it was off track. I was just trying to respond to the comment about Chicago being a nice benefit to being in Ann Arbor. I didn't want the OP to get the wrong impression.

Speaking as someone who knows, I thought it important to just point out that Chicago isn't as convenient to Ann Arbor as one might think, especially the way it was mentioned.
Yes, I was actually agreeing with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinemichael View Post
Don't listen to all the Philly hate. For a young professional, it's an amazing city. I had a great apartment in center city ( by great I mean bedroom, living room, bathroom, kitchen, and windows) for $800 a month, which in a lot of other cities will get a closet sized studio on the corner of Sketchville and Crime Streets.

I walked to work every morning down beautiful, tree lined streets, ate in great resturaunts, went to great bars, hung out in beautiful parks, and basically loved my life.

Not saying the city doesn't have it's problems because every city does, but saying you can't walk alone in Center City after dark is ridiculous. Of course you can. Crime is primarily concentrated in specific areas, and Center city at night is usually full of people.

Moving to Philly, even from it's close suburbs, can cause culture shock. The city definitely has an attitude unique to Philadelphians. I wouldnt say people are unfriendly, but theyre definitely not outgoing. Yes, some people are rude, but there are rude people everywhere. I think the attitude you find in Philly is just that- an attitude.

I had six wonderful years there, and recommend without reservation.
Wow! This is SO great to hear. Thanks a million. This post has been so helpful to me, I am seriously, seriously considering Philly....In fact, I'll be visiting again in a couple of weeks

Old 09-30-2010, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 12,054 times
Yes, I am definitely still here and appreciating every comment

Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,340 times
I agree, don't focus on all the negative opinions of Philadelphia. If you were to project the negative opinions you read on here onto the entire city and region, you'd be lead to believe the situation is dire and desperate. Maybe for a select few (and it seems they post on here) it is, but clearly not the case for the majority of residents of the city and region.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlGirl514 View Post
Wow! This is SO great to hear. Thanks a million. This post has been so helpful to me, I am seriously, seriously considering Philly....In fact, I'll be visiting again in a couple of weeks

Philadelphia, especially the greater center city area is one of the best offerings of urban city living in America, now while this does not come without some negatives I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. But like anyplace it is not right for everyone. So visit and decide.

To me if you like semi affordable, vibrant, interesting, and urban without being huge Philly is an awesome choice. Having lived in Philly, DC, NYC, and SF and spending a lot of time in Boston and Chicago I am proud to call to Philly home, not that all those are not great places too, or Montreal for that matter.

But if you expect Montreal, Philly is not - Philly is maybe a little bit NYC, a little more Toronto (than Montreal) and some Baltimore and Cleveland thrown in - though it is distinct and large enough to beso, yet small enough to feel like home, much of why i enjoy it.

If you do decide to move to Philly Welcome and I hope you enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia