U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM

25 posts, read 118,815 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Philadelphia area. Many people have recommended Chester County. My husband will try to get a transfer to the Veterns Admin. Hospital in Philadelphia (he is a Registered Nurse - Intensive Care). In reading the message boards it appears that there are also several nice areas besides Chester County that are in commuting distance from the VA Hospital and the city of Philadelphia. So far Chester County is our first choice. We are looking for a newer home ranging from $325,000 to $425,00. Any other areas we should consider besides Chester County? We also would like a good school system for our 15 and 16 year old kids, to be close to shopping malls and restaurants and able to commute to NYC in less than 31/2 hours. We have rental properties in Queens NYC and have to make a trip there at least twice a month.

Appreciate any feedback.

Linda

Old 08-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 6 days ago)

31,054 posts, read 68,875,531 times
Bucks County, to the northeast of Philadelphia and across the Delaware River from Trenton, NJ, would probably shave nearly an hour off of your Philly-NYC commute. The county, just like the rest of the Philly 'burbs, has a very "drab" feel to it, with a lot of safe yet eerily-familiar cookie-cutter housing developments with cul-de-sacs that all bleed onto narrow country roads that were never intended to handle the amount of traffic they now do.

Towns such as Doylestown, Newtown, and Ambler often come up as being "ideal" places to live for one reason or another. I know that Bucks County tends to be a bit "steeper" than Chester County as far as real estate is concerned, but it may still be a viable contender. You may be interested in locating in a town in Bucks County that is serviced by SEPTA, as traffic in and out of Philly can be absolutely horrendous at times! I only visit the Philly area a few times each year, so perhaps others can enlighten you more on Bucks County as an option? ;o)

Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 6 days ago)

31,054 posts, read 68,875,531 times
Actually, Ambler is in Montgomery County. Sorry about the error!

Old 08-15-2006, 06:41 PM

179 posts, read 991,992 times
well chester county probably gives you the furthest communte to philly and NY. Versus Delaware county, havertown, marple, broomall all great areas and good schools. Montgomery county, blue bell, merion, also good areas and good schools, bucks has some great areas also as mentioned above. All have public trans to philly, trains. For chester county i would look at chadds ford, paoli, devon areas though they are a bit pricer but nice.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 28,279 times
Philly has some of the best, suburbs in the country ( with the exception of areas like chester,camden,etc). I'm pretty sure youll find something you like.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:28 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Bucks County, to the northeast of Philadelphia and across the Delaware River from Trenton, NJ, would probably shave nearly an hour off of your Philly-NYC commute. The county, just like the rest of the Philly 'burbs, has a very "drab" feel to it, with a lot of safe yet eerily-familiar cookie-cutter housing developments with cul-de-sacs that all bleed onto narrow country roads that were never intended to handle the amount of traffic they now do.
While I agree with the traffic statement, I don't think our Philly burbs are drab at all. Many have a culture rich in history and artistic aspirations, and there are some of the most gorgeous buildings and architecture around in the Tri-county area (Bucks, Chester and Delaware counties). I can speak mostly for my county (Delaware County) whereby Media, Wallingford/Swarthmore, Broomall and Radnor provide EXCELLENT school districts and shoulc be able to meet your price range (if you don't want a huge home). Sure, we have our cookie-cutter developments, particularly since this last 5-year spurt in home building, but we also have some of the most beautiful stone and masonary constructrions to be found. Take the time to drive through the college town of Swarthmore, and see what I mean.

Last edited by Yac; 08-31-2006 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-31-2006, 05:50 AM

Check this web address out! You could probably pick this beauty up for 355-360. Beautiful construction on a lovely HALF ACRE, within a mile or two of one of the oldest working farms in PA: Linvilla Orchards: come for their Fall events and browse around for a bit. It's a great place.

(broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 08-31-2006 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: link removed (realtor/mls)

Old 09-01-2006, 04:25 AM

(broken link)[/quote]

Just for the record, Yac, I'm NOT a realtor but was sharing a specific example of what the original poster could envision in a particular suburb. I would think that examples would be most helpful.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Yac

6,017 posts, read 6,734,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Quote:
(broken link)
Just for the record, Yac, I'm NOT a realtor but was sharing a specific example of what the original poster could envision in a particular suburb. I would think that examples would be most helpful.

Trust me, it's not that easy to check almost 500 posts daily, not to mention checking every link and wondering if you are realtor or not. That's why I remove all links to realtor or mls websites .

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2006 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,709 times
I agree that Chester Co. is beautiful but it is not a convenient commute to the VA hospital. I have worked nearby at Drexel Univeristy for several years and the traffic in this area is horrific. If a nurse is not working normal "bankers hours" then the commuter trains are not convenient either. A nice mix of the country life of Chester County and convenient to the city is NJ. Cherry Hill has great schools and many of my co-workers lived in NJ. The cost of living is high. It is 20 minutes (with no traffic) to the hospital. I commute from the northeast philadelphia each day and live within a few blocks of montgomery county (Meadowbrook, PA). It's a great neighborhood (Pine Valley and/or Foxchase). Don't be afraid to look within the City too... Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or