Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM

50 posts, read 143,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the badlands is around 5th and indiana, I believe. there are many bad parts of north philly but there are some decent areas even now...and I do think some parts of north philly are getting better, same goes for kensington.
yea dats badlands its bout 0.290 square miles,some parts worse than others 3rd and indiana pretty big drug block..reese pretty crazy and in between alleghany and lehigh avenues suppose to be the thick of it,but I say the actual streets of lehigh and alleghany arent dat bad.lil dirty yes,crime wise bad not too bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
wow, talk about skewed priorities.. There are no a$$holes in North Philly?
im juss sayin center city they act like they're better than everyone else..not sayin there aint none in north philly but the puerto ricans in north treat you like fam an very friendly and they take pride in their community

Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Why have you stopped using capitalization and punctuation? cause you liv in da hooh

Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
The Badlands is a pretty nebulous designation, traditionally centered on the neighborhood around 5th and Indiana, although it was sometimes used to designate the whole of blighted North Philadelphia. Basically everything north of Spring Garden was once considered "The Badlands" by some. North Philadelphia is a very diverse area that hides a lot more varied households than some people might at first realize. There are some blocks in the worst parts of North Philly where you'll find all the houses occupied, the streets clean, and even flowers out in front of houses. There are tight-knit blocks like this in a variety of different ethnic neighborhoods throughout North Philadelphia. I've met some incredible people who were born, raised, and still live in North Philadelphia. It's certainly not a place to write off. Indeed, I think the neglect is heartbreaking. I won't get into why the area of the city declined, that's been pretty well documented and discussed to death already. However, like I said not to write that area off, a lot of these neighborhoods have turned around. People seem to forget that Fairmount, Spring Garden, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, and Port Richmond are all technically part of North Philadelphia in that they lie north of Center City. Basically, when a neighborhood gentrifies it suddenly becomes a separate entity, and North Philadelphia remains what blighted hoods are left. Kensington, for the bad rap it gets, has been changing as well. Francisville has seen lots of investment as well. When I first moved here I only knew that area as just more blighted space between Fairmount and Girard. Now people are actually talking about Francisville as a relevant place again. I think that says a lot. The big black mark on these areas are just the crime which is a product of an American society that I feel has gotten less knowledgeable, more insular, and of course our dramatic loss of opportunity, especially in the cities. There used to be huge powerhouses of employment in North Philadelphia, they were called factories and you didn't need college degrees to work at them. Those are gone now.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Why have you stopped using capitalization and punctuation? cause you liv in da hooh
When I type on the net I do not think its necessary to use caps and/or punctuation,but I will if it makes you happy

Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVRH7d_yXxs

NORTH PHILLY puerto rico 2010 parade who party betta dan us???? the hood can throw the best parties

Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooo_philly View Post
as im sayin we are improving and Id rather live there than in suburbs where Ive met complete assssholes there as people
Me too, I was born in Episcopal Hospital and lived on Cambria Street until I moved up with the rich folks in Olney. I didn't even know I was poor until
I went in the Army. I never did fit into suburbia

Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
The Badlands is a pretty nebulous designation, traditionally centered on the neighborhood around 5th and Indiana, although it was sometimes used to designate the whole of blighted North Philadelphia. Basically everything north of Spring Garden was once considered "The Badlands" by some. North Philadelphia is a very diverse area that hides a lot more varied households than some people might at first realize. There are some blocks in the worst parts of North Philly where you'll find all the houses occupied, the streets clean, and even flowers out in front of houses. There are tight-knit blocks like this in a variety of different ethnic neighborhoods throughout North Philadelphia. I've met some incredible people who were born, raised, and still live in North Philadelphia. It's certainly not a place to write off. Indeed, I think the neglect is heartbreaking. I won't get into why the area of the city declined, that's been pretty well documented and discussed to death already. However, like I said not to write that area off, a lot of these neighborhoods have turned around. People seem to forget that Fairmount, Spring Garden, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, and Port Richmond are all technically part of North Philadelphia in that they lie north of Center City. Basically, when a neighborhood gentrifies it suddenly becomes a separate entity, and North Philadelphia remains what blighted hoods are left. Kensington, for the bad rap it gets, has been changing as well. Francisville has seen lots of investment as well. When I first moved here I only knew that area as just more blighted space between Fairmount and Girard. Now people are actually talking about Francisville as a relevant place again. I think that says a lot. The big black mark on these areas are just the crime which is a product of an American society that I feel has gotten less knowledgeable, more insular, and of course our dramatic loss of opportunity, especially in the cities. There used to be huge powerhouses of employment in North Philadelphia, they were called factories and you didn't need college degrees to work at them. Those are gone now.
Besides the neighorhoods bordering Center City, there are other relatively decent, even desirable sections such as the Oak Lanes (East and West), Fern Rock. Yorktown and (to a degree) Germantown. Would the "typical" suburban/small town household want to move to any of these neighborhoods? Perhaps not in many cases but perhaps so in some.

There's no denying that North Philly as a whole has issues. Perhaps the OP has an eye on what is happening in their particular area and can see improvements that most of us don't.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 PM

16 posts, read 31,730 times
I know the op in person,hes not denying there isnt problems in his neighborhood and they are still far away from seeing a drastic improvement,just saying its getting better and would like to see a more positive vibe from others

Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
I think the OP is trying to convey the fact that he/she doesn't think North Philly is as bad as the media implies. That's good to know, as no one wants to see an entire area of the city go down the drain. That said, the crime stats speak for themselves. I know personally, I would not want to veer off the main drags in that area.

As far as capitalization and punctuation go -- I would prefer that people use them. It is very difficult to read and interpret a post without punctuation, and the lack of capitalization doesn't help and just seems lazy. I tend to gloss over posts without them....too much work to try to figure them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia