Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Your inability to grasp the situation of a lot of people in North Philadelphia is just stunning.

They could move. But don,t misunderstand me im very happy that there are people who think N.Philly is nice. Also your idea of grasping the situation sounds more like ur grasping for straws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
They could move. But don,t misunderstand me im very happy that there are people who think N.Philly is nice. Also your idea of grasping the situation sounds more like ur grasping for straws.
Simply put, if you're making barely enough (or less) to get by, you won't be able to save up enough funds to move anywhere else. You may not necessarily be able to rely on other family members who could be in the same financial position. And the institutions most likely to invest in your future will either garnish your meager wages or "borrow" your car title (assuming one has a car).

I would guess that anyone who has the ability to move out of North Philly's most challenged neighborhoods has already done so...save those who are choosing to stick around to initiate positive inspiration and change.

How "nice" North Philly is would be in the eye of the beholder. I'm guessing that my opinion would be somewhere between yours and that of the OP.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Simply put, if you're making barely enough (or less) to get by, you won't be able to save up enough funds to move anywhere else. You may not necessarily be able to rely on other family members who could be in the same financial position. And the institutions most likely to invest in your future will either garnish your meager wages or "borrow" your car title (assuming one has a car).

I would guess that anyone who has the ability to move out of North Philly's most challenged neighborhoods has already done so...save those who are choosing to stick around to initiate positive inspiration and change.

How "nice" North Philly is would be in the eye of the beholder. I'm guessing that my opinion would be somewhere between yours and that of the OP.
I agree. We know quite a few families who live there and some have moved to a nicer location.. some have managed to move to a nicer locations, some have not.. Believe me, no one wants to live in a bad area.. Its not easy sometimes to move away.. Some people have circumstances that don't allow a move too.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Cost of moving: First month's rent, last month's rent, security deposit. Rent a truck to move your stuff. That is if you can find a place to move to that you can afford.

I cannot believe how many people respond to a statement of dissatisfaction with, "If you don't like it why don't you move?" Aside from grinding, relentless poverty, there are other factors to consider. An aging parent who must be cared for, or an illness, or an inability to find a landlord who will rent to someone looking to get out of the projects.

Not everyone has the physical, financial or mental wherewithal to figure out how to escape. That may be the reason that poverty is a generational thing. And the despair often renders the sufferer paralyzed and unable to figure out why they are trapped in their situation.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM

15 posts, read 16,329 times
Quote:

I do not agree with this at all! Okay so during the year they are maybe scraping by, but u will never be able to tell their poverty level because they are dressed in the finest name-brand clothing their money "can" buy. I believe they can move if they choose to, but why would they? They are content and happy with their surroundings. Yes shame on them as parents, to care more about material than a better education for their kids. Oh and these same low income familes are even larger "ballers" during tax season. At the end of the year, they receive returns well over $5 grand (I know someone who got close to $8 grand). With money to burn, guess what they get... Yup! Bigger TVs, fancier computers, more clothes, Moderator Cut, and etc.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-26-2011 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Let's not bring illegal activity into the conversation.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:16 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnyh23 View Post
I do not agree with this at all! Okay so during the year they are maybe scraping by, but u will never be able to tell their poverty level because they are dressed in the finest name-brand clothing their money "can" buy. I believe they can move if they choose to, but why would they? They are content and happy with their surroundings. Yes shame on them as parents, to care more about material than a better education for their kids. Oh and these same low income familes are even larger "ballers" during tax season. At the end of the year, they receive returns well over $5 grand (I know someone who got close to $8 grand). With money to burn, guess what they get... Yup! Bigger TVs, fancier computers, more clothes, Moderator Cut, and etc.
First, this image you bring up is not limited to Philadelphia. In the future, you may want to consider the Great Debates forum here for more generalized discussion.

That said: while I don't doubt that the scenario that you present indeed exists in North Philadelphia, I believe it is the exception rather than the rule. I stand by the opinion that I stated earlier in this thread.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 PM

240 posts, read 557,941 times
Quote:

Just was looking things up about north philly and came across this post. This is true. Anyone who thinks it is easy to move out of a poor area anywhere is ignorant. Even in small towns, there are poor areas that people can't get out of.

But as to the original question of why people think N. Philly is bad, I drove through north philly about two weeks ago. I've read so many posts on here and other places saying philly is dirty and full of trash and i've always brushed those comments off. But being in N. Philly, I can see where a person is coming from. North of the university and east of there all the way along front street to the river is literally exploding with trash and grime. It made me sad to see. I love this city and so far I've proved the stereotypes about west and south philly to be wrong in my own experience, but n. philly is dirty. I'm sure there are good people there, but the area needs help.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
North Philly has pockets of nice neighborhoods. For the most part though it's a drug and crime infested ghetto.

I grew up a few blocks from Front and Dauphin. Most of the homes were occupied back then. Now, however, it's like someone dropped a bomb. Mostly vacant lots and houses that are falling apart and of course drugs. It's considered part of the Badlands now.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM

16 posts, read 25,188 times
Kensington, At least south of Lehigh, East of Front St, is fairly nice. My neighbors and myself try to clean the empty lots of trash, are friendly to each other, and just try to keep the place nice and friendly.
Not everyone does, but I think that more people try to help it, than try to damage it.
It's not a good neighbor hood yet, but it's getting there. Groups like New Kensington Community Development Corporation, Greensgrow farm and the Philadelphia Brewing Company are making it better.

I remember 10 years ago, you didn't want to be anywhere near Northern Liberties, and now that's where everyone goes. Neighborhoods evolve and change over time.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcap77 View Post
I remember 10 years ago, you didn't want to be anywhere near Northern Liberties, and now that's where everyone goes. Neighborhoods evolve and change over time.
10 years ago? In 2002?? Nah. More like 25 years ago it was bad.
But even in the 80's, following the mid 80's real estate boom, there were speculators and buzz about that area being "the next big thing". Around then is when you first really started hearing the term "Northern Liberties" (in modern times) being thrown around commonly.

But you're certainly right that neighborhoods evolve and change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia