Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombolax View Post
How much do you think China spends per year on education compared to Philly?

China spends about 2k per student. Philly spends 21k and DC spends 30k.

Do you have any idea how much money $2000 is in China? It seems like you don't. $5500 a year (~35,000RMB) is a solid middle class salary in China that affords one a modern lifestyle in a major city like Beijing. The Chinese Yuan is devalued vs the dollar, which is the main contributing factor in the advantage China has in international trade vs most of the world, and their domestic economy is very different from ours.
Comparing straight dollar amounts spent by China in China vs amounts spent by the US in the US is a misleading practice at best.

In any case, as I said before, what the US needs to do is rebuild our middle class and the infrastructure and industries that create and support it.
China knows this, and has in the past few decades elevated many tens of millions of its citizens out of chronic poverty and into the middle class by investing in: infrastructure, manufacturing, and education (sound familiar?). And China is booming as a result. If that happens in the US (not holding my breath!), problems with our schools and many other things will be much easier to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:31 AM

64 posts, read 206,548 times
Quote:
The people in N. Philly would destroy any improvements. We have already spent BILLIONs on N. Philly.

Philly spends:

-$700 million each year on DHS.
-$300 million a year on PHA
-$250 million a year on jails
-$65 million a year for school cops

Let's put it in perspective. Philly could build 150 new Comcast buildings over the next 50 years with what we spend on DHS, PHA, jails and school cops.

Why don't the people in N. Philly stop destroying the schools, pick up their trash, stop committing crimes and destroying their own neighborhoods?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This section of North Philly didn't seem to bad, where I would go to do workshops once a week

"20th and Berks
20th and Berks area is a dump. But I'm happy you haven't had to experience being a victim of some crime while traveling through there.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Being born in walking distance of Episcopal Hospital and growing up in North Philly I am amazed at how much it has improved. While areas like Olney and Crescentville seem to have run down some overall the core of the city is much better than it was. Certainly the Broad and Ontario area is better.
Been a while since you've been here? Part of Temple Univ is at Broad and Ontario, i.e, Temple hospital, school of dentistry, etc. Take a walk east or west of Broad st a few blocks and you'll see how much better it is...

Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboy9088 View Post
20th and Berks area is a dump. But I'm happy you haven't had to experience being a victim of some crime while traveling through there.
Really? Everytime I went to that area it was nice and quiet and I never saw a lot of undesirables LOL

I was in the area around 9am and 12pm and would always say...."This area of North Philly is pretty quiet and cool

Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,818 times
Quote:
Was North Philly a great neighborhood before the war?

The real problem with N. Philly is the people in N. Philly.

YOu can't redistribute brains and work ethic. No amount of money will cure the people in N. Philly.
What makes the people of North Philly so much worse then everyone else?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
What makes the people of North Philly so much worse then everyone else?
I would like to know too because it's ghetto people in West philly, south philly, northeast philly, southwest philly, and frankford.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 PM

469 posts, read 924,812 times
I work in the heart of the so called badlands,going on 20yrs now.It`s pretty bad ,but there are good people there trying to make it better. As for the people on here that are having fun trashing North Philly.Most of the drugs being bought in North Philly are from people from the suburbs and other parts of the city. You would be shocked at how many so called nice kids and adults from the suburbs that are sneaking down to the Badlands to get high.Oh,I almost forgot about,how many all American dads with NJ tags ,that drive down to pick up prostitutes.LOL,I bet a few people on here or maybe a family member, has been in North Philly up to no good.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
I work in the heart of the so called badlands,going on 20yrs now.It`s pretty bad ,but there are good people there trying to make it better. As for the people on here that are having fun trashing North Philly.Most of the drugs being bought in North Philly are from people from the suburbs and other parts of the city. You would be shocked at how many so called nice kids and adults from the suburbs that are sneaking down to the Badlands to get high.Oh,I almost forgot about,how many all American dads with NJ tags ,that drive down to pick up prostitutes.LOL,I bet a few people on here or maybe a family member, has been in North Philly up to no good.
That's the thing that most people don't want to seem to admit. It's not just in North Philly either. Kids and "adults" from nicer areas go to less-nice areas and use those areas for their own vices.

That's not okay. If you want to get a hooker, you should do it in your own neighborhood.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboy9088 View Post
Been a while since you've been here? Part of Temple Univ is at Broad and Ontario, i.e, Temple hospital, school of dentistry, etc. Take a walk east or west of Broad st a few blocks and you'll see how much better it is...
30 Years ago the Nursing Home at the corner of Broad and Ontario had its Guard Dogs stolen. It was a lot worse then than now. 22nd and 23rd Districts were by far the worst assignments a Police Officer could get. I'm not saying there aren't bad neighborhoods, I'm saying there were worse ones in that area then. Areas that have been knocked down and cleared then redeveloped. North Philly and Philadelphia in general are better than they were. The city seems to have turned the corner and is headed
back to the 2.3 million population it had when I was young
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia