Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 PM

60 posts, read 100,175 times

Advertisements

I was originally from Lancaster area. It is the start of the cultural transition/decline from the Northeast. In Philadelphia, people don't gossip about their neighbors nearly as much because they are busy with a faster pace of life. I notice a higher concern with productivity and less nepotism. It is a blue collar town and people are earth-bound. The cost of living is under control compared to New York, and there are legit rural areas in the metro.

I know political debates should be avoided, but I detect a greater degree of skepticism towards the entire political process here. Which is good. Sheep are bad. I am strongly committed to my current job, but if it should be taken away, the area is much better for finding another one.

The traffic and mass transit system is the only problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times
Compared to most US cities Philadelphia's mass transit system is actually quite good... in the sense that we actually have one.

As per your original description of the city. Philadelphia certainly has a unique character, but it shares some characteristics with all major cities. Namely: a diverse community both ethnically, politically, and intellectually. You'll find some very backwards, close minded, bigoted people in Philly. You'll also find "sheep", gossipers, and your general good-for-nothings. However, being a large city means you won't have to interact with them if you choose not to, and you can generally stay in your own comfort zone. That's the great thing about a city like Philadelphia, its diverse enough that almost anyone can find their comfort zone here.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM

148 posts, read 411,781 times
I've lived in Philly since August 2010. I moved from the West Coast for grad school in Philadelphia. I rely on SEPTA because I have no car. I think that overall, the mass transit is quite good in Philly. The subway and the El are great. They are on time, air conditioned or heated depending on the weather, and fast. My issue with the subway and the El are the stations. Some of them are pretty gross. The trolleys are great. They are smooth, quite, and reliable. Occasionally, there is an obstruction, but this is pretty rare. The Regional Rail is great, but it's expensive.

The most unreliable part of SEPTA are the buses. Some of this has to do with traffic (e.g. the 65 on City Avenue), but buses also break down or are off-schedule far more often than the trolleys. I think that SEPTA really needs to work on improving bus reliability and timeliness. Otherwise, SEPTA is a great system.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
I'd be interested to hear about these mythical major US cities where people DON'T complain about traffic and their mass transit system. They do in pretty much every one I've ever been to.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin2359 View Post
I was originally from Lancaster area. It is the start of the cultural transition/decline from the Northeast. In Philadelphia, people don't gossip about their neighbors nearly as much because they are busy with a faster pace of life. I notice a higher concern with productivity and less nepotism. It is a blue collar town and people are earth-bound. The cost of living is under control compared to New York, and there are legit rural areas in the metro.

I know political debates should be avoided, but I detect a greater degree of skepticism towards the entire political process here. Which is good. Sheep are bad. I am strongly committed to my current job, but if it should be taken away, the area is much better for finding another one.

The traffic and mass transit system is the only problem.
I'm originally from Philly and moved to Lancaster County eight years ago and I couldn't agree with you more. It is very frustrating living here.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I'm originally from Philly and moved to Lancaster County eight years ago and I couldn't agree with you more. It is very frustrating living here.
Come on, Lititz is a great town. It's the kind of place that everyone on here says they want to live in, except places like that don't really exist in the philadelphia metro and if they do they cost a lot more.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Come on, Lititz is a great town. It's the kind of place that everyone on here says they want to live in, except places like that don't really exist in the philadelphia metro and if they do they cost a lot more.
Nice place to visit but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia