Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:30 AM

43 posts, read 138,356 times

Advertisements

I have posted here before and always really appreciate the responses!!! Thank you all in advance for that. It seems like moving is going to really be happening sooner then later!! I am getting nervous! We have chosen Doylestown, pretty exclusively. We really like it there. We looked around a little but that is where we think we want to be. SAFETY is so important to me. We are looking outside the boro and in Plumstead for more land. Please tell me about this area! I have young kids and I need to know they will be safe. crime happens everywhere, even where I am from, just not very often! Schools are so important, but I also want to make sure that the kids aren't exclusive or cut throat. Are there places for little girls to take dance? Or kids to do gymnastics??
How about really good pediatricians??
What is thought about people who live in Plumstead township as opposed to doylestown??
We are coming from an area that is off the charts expensive so the area that is good to buy a house in is the whole area, because you can't be picky.
Please tell me the negatives and positives to were we will choose a house, and any info about living there that you think would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 PM

188 posts, read 416,235 times
My wife and I have been looking to move our family to the Doylestown area myself, specifically Plumstead Twp and it really is a beautiful place.

I perceive the area to be very safe. The schools are reported to be top notch throughout the Central Bucks School District.

There are plenty of homes in the area regardless of your price level. There is a lot of inventory and it is not moving so you should be able to find something you like at the price you want to pay.

Best of luck, keep us posted. One day, I'd like to join you as a Plumstead resident.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM

692 posts, read 2,350,664 times
Plumstead is a great choice.. Another great area is Buckingham Twp - both are right outside of Doylestown, both tend to lend to lots of land if you choose, and both are VERY safe. Also great schools. You really can't go wrong with either. My clients who purchase in that area tend to stay put for a long time and become loyal to Doylestown.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:25 AM

40 posts, read 123,721 times
I'm in the same boat, though we have only one very little one so far. And we are pretty exclusively looking at Doylestown/Buckingham but haven't ruled out New Hope/Solebury if the right home comes along. We have been around the area I think 5 times now and see no reason to think the area isn't very safe. The school rankings and reputations speak for themselves, but I'd suggest taking it one step further. My wife, who is a PSU grad in elementary education, and I visited one of the elementary schools for areas we are seriously considering during the school day. We went to Cold Spring Elementary and were very impressed with the principal, the school facilities, the curriculum and the teachers that we spoke to.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 11,998 times
We are in the same boat too - at the moment thinking Doylestown, Buckingham or Newtown. We spent just this past Saturday in Doylestown (eating and shopping). Absolutely love it! The only drawback I see is it's a little further out from 95 (versus Newtown). Or maybe that's a good thing. We're still debating. I am curious to see what other responses you get on this board. Thanks for posting...

Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 AM

5 posts, read 23,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktljjt View Post
I have posted here before and always really appreciate the responses!!! Thank you all in advance for that. It seems like moving is going to really be happening sooner then later!! I am getting nervous! We have chosen Doylestown, pretty exclusively. We really like it there. We looked around a little but that is where we think we want to be. SAFETY is so important to me. We are looking outside the boro and in Plumstead for more land. Please tell me about this area! I have young kids and I need to know they will be safe. crime happens everywhere, even where I am from, just not very often! Schools are so important, but I also want to make sure that the kids aren't exclusive or cut throat. Are there places for little girls to take dance? Or kids to do gymnastics??
How about really good pediatricians??
What is thought about people who live in Plumstead township as opposed to doylestown??
We are coming from an area that is off the charts expensive so the area that is good to buy a house in is the whole area, because you can't be picky.
Please tell me the negatives and positives to were we will choose a house, and any info about living there that you think would be helpful!
The area overall is very safe, particularly in the developments. Occasional petty theft as in any middle class/upper middle class area. The flip side, is that the more spread-out developments can be very quiet at times. You might want to be near enough town to come in easily. Regardless of location, the more competitively ranked the school, the greater the parental pressure to maintain that ranking, but it's not like you might see in NYC 'burbs where it can be over the top. As the town has grown, some of the developments are becoming more established...kids aging up. Might want to find a neighborhood where there is an obvious gathering place like a playground. Recommend asking school about the school bus stop near the house. How many kids show up/how old. I'd also scope out current and planned highway access (be sure to check out the Rt. 202 bypass sitn).

Old 11-04-2010, 05:24 PM

43 posts, read 138,356 times
Thank you for all the great info!! My husband and I are going to Doylestown on Saturday and Sunday to look around again. we want to drive from some favorite houses to town, and to the park etc. I want to check out really specific area's to see where I might want to be. We are close to actually doing this and it is getting very very exciting and SCARY!! We are having our second showing on our house in 3 days, and it is all getting very real.
We love love love the Doylestown area. Part of me however wants to check out Milford or Lewisburg and see if we can keep the price down a little more. We can afford Doylestown comfortably but if we find somewhere even cheaper, I don't have to work so hard!!
i have a feeling though we will be in Doylestown pretty soon!
Thanks for the great info on Plumstead. I have to go check out the area a little more.
Keep the info coming!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:01 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
we moved to Doylestown 3 years ago, specifically Buckingham, and love it. There are great deals on houses now all around the area. We chose our house because it was walking distance to one of the elementary schools[Cold Spring, which someone mentioned] We do love the principal and all teachers we have had[ we had 3 kids there] Oldest is now in middle school, bus stop right in front of our house.
To answer your questions, yes, we feel very safe.
I think all the townships around here are just like living "in" Doylestown.
Lots of little girls here in dance and gymnastics. My daughter is in soccer and swim.
Found a great pediatrician through people in my neighborhood. All neighbors very friendly and helpful when we moved in.
Doylestown is a great place for adults, and has lots of family activities as well in the area. We love it here. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 9,867 times
All of the posts have been helpful to me too! We are thinking about relocating to PA, my husband has lots of family there, but I am overwhelmed with all of the potential cities to live in. We were looking into Gilbertsville. We want a nice house with about an acre or so, hoping to be in a community so our 2 kids(6 &3) have other children to play with. We would love to feel like we are in the country with conveniences like shopping and restaurants not too far away. I will be looking into some of the cities you all suggested! Thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I used to live in Newtown and miss it so much! I loved the area. We lived in Newtown Grant and it was a nice community. The downtown is so cute and walkable. The Brick Hotel was a place we went to often. Duck Sauce was a nice place to eat, Mom's Pizza was good, the salon there (can't remember the name now) is good. I liked being close to New Hope and Peddlers Village. I also liked being close to Trenton NJ so we could grab a train and be in NYC in about an hour or so. It's a great choice!
Friends of ours live in Fountainville near Doylestown and they love it there as well.

Good luck to you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetomeetyou View Post
We are in the same boat too - at the moment thinking Doylestown, Buckingham or Newtown. We spent just this past Saturday in Doylestown (eating and shopping). Absolutely love it! The only drawback I see is it's a little further out from 95 (versus Newtown). Or maybe that's a good thing. We're still debating. I am curious to see what other responses you get on this board. Thanks for posting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia