Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 AM

134 posts, read 475,181 times

Advertisements

I've heard rumors that within the next 5-10 years there will be a high speed rail line build between New York and Philadelphia. Does anyone know if these rumors are true? and if so I wonder how cost effective it will be for those who want to commute between New York and Philadelphia for work.

I also heard on NPR the other day that another six miles of waterfront development was approved by the city council. Does anyone know more about this? I feel like this could be a boon for the communities that will be within a stone's throw of a developed waterfront (depending on what direction they go Fishtown, Northern Liberties, maybe even Port Richmond? or Bridesburg?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
This was in the news today - timing says 2040

Jonathan A. Schein: High-Speed Rail on Slow Track

Also, am very curious on the waterfront, i do know PATCO has plans for the a light rail line along Delaware Ave linking South Philly, No Libs/Fishtown and Center city

Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Changing Skyline: Master plan for riverfront nearly ready | Philadelphia Inquirer | 10/20/2010

Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
I put all the Septa and Patco plans in here , keep in mind this is Septa and it takes them 2x longer to build things then say NJT.

SE PA 2040 Rail / Inner Urban Transit Plan - Google Maps

Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Philadelphia Selects Waterfront Transit Alignment « The Transport Politic

Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM

134 posts, read 475,181 times
It's true that the project won't be finished until 2040 then thats an absolute sin. With the way that urban renewal has been progressing on the eastern seaboard, and the rate at which nations such as China and the entire continent of Europe is progressing in public transportation we should have more modern public transportation if we consider ourselves at the forefront of the modern world.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 AM

40 posts, read 134,056 times
My two cents.
I've been around Europe a bit and I lived in Asia for about 2 years. I love the high speed rail systems over there. They are really nice. It's great to be able to travel the length of Japan in a matter of hours without having to go through airport security or plan much ahead. You just show up and get a ticket and you're off to Fukuoka or Osaka or wherever, but I really only used it a half dozen times in two years. Same with most residents of Japan. Infact I think I used it more because I was more prone to being a tourist on weekends and holidays. Now I'm not saying that the Shinkansens are sitting empty all day, but what everyone used everyday was the local subway and JR Lines (kind of like regional rail).
While long distance high speed rail would be nice, I'd much prefer another subway line in Philadelphia or a light rail line along the water front. It's not as glamorous as taking off via mag-lve to Pittsburgh but it would actually be used. Local trains would actually cut down on how much people drive. It would benefit cities and make sense for the way people live in the real world.
My other smaller dream is to integrate regional rail into the regular Septa city grid. What I mean is, make it so a regular subway and bus rider thinks of regional rail as one of their options when they want to go to Manayunk or the Northeast. Make it as easy as riding the subway. Maybe it costs a little more but make it a simple swipe at the same style gate one uses to board the EL. Watch ridership take off. Right now Regional Rail feels very removed from the rest of Septa. Smartcards will be necessary but when they do roll out they need to work with busses, trolleys, subwasy and Regional Rails.

Also, yeah America's infrastructure is embarassing. We look like a poor country to most visitors. I met an Australian who compared America to parts of Russia and Eastern Europe.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 PM

78 posts, read 163,915 times
The solid thing is that 95 construction and the clearing of the Conrail areas near the waterfront have already begun in the Port Richmond section. According to plans, there will be a walking path, sound barriers on 95, and some horrible eyesores have got to go (some abandoned buildings must be demolished for the highway). The road will be repaved, the trolley returned, and they see the street revitalized. We'll see.
Right now, living in Port Richmond, I can tell you that a few people have been opening small things along Richmond Street in anticipation - a small candy shop, a flower store and even a funky art gallery...it could be nothing, or maybe the start of something pretty good. Just my opinion...but anything is better than what it was!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Actually, the Federal government did give funds to Amtrak for a project to upgrade the top speed along the NE corridor between Philadelphia and New York from 135mph to 160mph, so the Acela will reach top speed between the two now. That to me is a big step in and of itself, and I'm pretty sure that project is going forward, since it only requires upgrades to the NE Corridor, not a whole new alignment.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 AM

958 posts, read 1,198,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmapty View Post
My two cents.
I've been around Europe a bit and I lived in Asia for about 2 years. I love the high speed rail systems over there. They are really nice. It's great to be able to travel the length of Japan in a matter of hours without having to go through airport security or plan much ahead. You just show up and get a ticket and you're off to Fukuoka or Osaka or wherever, but I really only used it a half dozen times in two years. Same with most residents of Japan. Infact I think I used it more because I was more prone to being a tourist on weekends and holidays. Now I'm not saying that the Shinkansens are sitting empty all day, but what everyone used everyday was the local subway and JR Lines (kind of like regional rail).
While long distance high speed rail would be nice, I'd much prefer another subway line in Philadelphia or a light rail line along the water front. It's not as glamorous as taking off via mag-lve to Pittsburgh but it would actually be used. Local trains would actually cut down on how much people drive. It would benefit cities and make sense for the way people live in the real world.
My other smaller dream is to integrate regional rail into the regular Septa city grid. What I mean is, make it so a regular subway and bus rider thinks of regional rail as one of their options when they want to go to Manayunk or the Northeast. Make it as easy as riding the subway. Maybe it costs a little more but make it a simple swipe at the same style gate one uses to board the EL. Watch ridership take off. Right now Regional Rail feels very removed from the rest of Septa. Smartcards will be necessary but when they do roll out they need to work with busses, trolleys, subwasy and Regional Rails.

Also, yeah America's infrastructure is embarassing. We look like a poor country to most visitors. I met an Australian who compared America to parts of Russia and Eastern Europe.
That's exactly how I feel about it too. If you grew up here then you think of it as one big transit system but if you are just visiting or even new to the area then chances are you probably see it as separate parts that really shouldn't be so damn separate.

And I'm definitely with you on the need for more subways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Actually, the Federal government did give funds to Amtrak for a project to upgrade the top speed along the NE corridor between Philadelphia and New York from 135mph to 160mph, so the Acela will reach top speed between the two now. That to me is a big step in and of itself, and I'm pretty sure that project is going forward, since it only requires upgrades to the NE Corridor, not a whole new alignment.
Was this recent? I know the Republicans really screwed mass transit funding in 2010 I believe? Also, the whole thing with Chris Christie stopping the construction of some things that would definitely help improve service and alleviate some of the crowdedness of the Philadelphia to New York lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia