Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:38 AM

117 posts, read 588,976 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure that means that you won't be charged if you use their network of ATM's. For instance, Trumark has a whole network of other credit unions that you can go to and not be charged a fee on either end. I'm pretty sure the list is on their website. You will be charged by the other bank if it's out of network though. I know for sure when I go to the Philadelphia Federal Credit Union, because it's close to my parents' house, I always get hit up for 50 cents. I guess they aren't in Trumark's network. Or, just go to Wawa, and it's never a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 05:44 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousepad View Post
Looking for a free checking and honest banking practice bank anywhere within 10 miles of 18966 Richboro.

Going to Newtown, Warminster, Feasterville, Bryn Athyn, Hatboro, is fine for the benefit of having a good bank.

I am at Citizens Bank now, though a notice informed that they will put a $4.95 charge per month on the free checking accounts, unless you have $1500 balance, or make 5 payments from your account per month.

So far, I've found PNC has free checking, and TD Bank also. Both include a free Check Card, and free online banking. TD's only requirement is $100 balance after the first 12 months.
However, there are the usual complaints posted about both of these... the usual events.. unfair charges, unsatisfying and unkind communication and handling of problems or concerns.

I've found that every bank seems fine, or okay, but when there is a problem or glitch, then you notice that many of them leave you unsatisfied or feeling taken advantage of. ..But I have heard about good ones out there... real old fashioned hospitality and personal attention.

Does anyone have any good experience with any one.. even credit unions or smaller banks (as long as they have free checking, check cards, and online banking)?

I used to be with Citizens, hated them. I have been banking with PNC about three years now, love them. I've never been charged for anything AND in fact, I accidentally overdrew my acct once and they didn't charge me (you are allowed a one time freebie). My b/f banks with TD Bank and has not had any issues with them either and as far as I know, they also offer free checking with NO fees for anything and no min balance.

I'll only ever bank with PNC though unless I leave the state. I've been very happy PLUS they started doing this thing you can sign up for like a points reward system for every time you use your debit card. I already racked up enough points to pick a $25 gift card to a place of my choice (I chose Bed Bath and Beyond).

Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 20,971 times
Here is what just happened with Citizens:

note- the problem is present with any bank that uses predatory overdraft practices.

So it means to first avoid overdrafts (and know what the rules and fees are).

Also, some banks are different (TruMark credit union has a $5 overdraft fee, Citizens fee is $27. Some charge additional fees if an account is overdrawn for x number of days. Citizens will add a $6.99 fee each day, after the overdraft is 4 days old.

Knowing what can happen is helpful, because the system is set up purposefully to confuse and not display the charges until the overdraft fees start accumulating.

Here's what happened....

-I opened an account with Freedom credit union, and specifying to transfer over my Citizens funds.

-for some mistake, Freedom transferred the funds twice ($85 x2).... which resulted in a minus balance in my Citizens.. and overdraft fees. It also caused 2 in-process transfers to be overdrawn ($8.xx and $1.xx).

-I Spoke with Citizens customer support. Calm and helpful and pleasant Calvin helped me, and waived the initial overdraft fee.
He informed me that the daily sustained overdraft fee of $6.99 would start on Monday if the balance was still negative by Sunday night.

-On 11-27 I deposited funds at a Citizens counter to cover the overdraft. The receipt for the transaction shows that my account has a balance of $21, and an available balance of $7.
I assume these numbers are accurate. The 'available balance' number already corrects for any funds that are unsettled.

-On 11-30, I login to see a $74 overdraft fee, and a $6.99 sustained overdraft fee.

-Speaking with an also calm and pleasant and helpful, rep, I learn that the $74 fee is from the 2 transfers from 11-24.
(Note that these fees were not displayed online until 11-30. They were not displayed for 5 days... only displayed after it triggered a sustained overdraft fee).

A few other notes - about common overdraft predatory practices (which Citizens was guilty of also--

-The $74 fee was charged on my 2 in-process transfers ($8.xx and $1.xx). So they loaned me $10 for 6 days... and charged me 700% in fees)... as well as starting to add sustained overdraft fees.
An overdraft loan at a reasonable rate is one different than a predatory rate. This is a bank... they easily have the ability to apply a percentage fee on overdrafts, rather than applying a set dollar fee.

-Also, Citizens (and other predatory banks) will make no effort to let you know that your account is overdrawn. They will stay quiet while your account accumulates sustained overdraft fees. Citizens even helped this happen by not displaying the overdraft fees for 5 days... waiting until a sustained fee was already triggered.

-When you are charged $83 in fees for overdrawing your account by $10... and when the bank shows that your account is positive after a deposit.. even though it really isn't. They are taking advantage of you.. by design.

Do be informed on what the new overdraft laws cover - I believe they only cover ATM/debit card transactions. A bank cannot loan you money or apply overdraft fees, on a debit card or ATM card transaction... Unless you have specifically given them permission.
However, funds transfer, check, and other transactions that overdraw.. Can be charged fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia