Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm visiting family around Lancaster around the 22nd/23rd and I'm trying to solidify my travel plans.

Plan A: take the Amtrak from Chicago to Lancaster.

I like this plan since I've never taken the train for such a long trip (plus, I can bring more bags!), but not only does it go through Pittsburgh, but I would even really have time to hang out there (gets into Pittsburgh around 5am and leaves around 7am). I'll likely only do this if I don't have enough time to do some solid sightseeing in Philly w/ Plan B

Plan B: fly into Philly and then take the train over to Lancaster.

I'm leaning more towards Plan B, even if it means checking bags, since it gives me more options to hang out in Philly. If I go w/ B, I can't at the Lancaster stop before 2pm (no one to pick me up otherwise!). My plan was to arrive around 10-11am, look around, then take the Amtrak around 2pm (plans are more flexible on that end since it looks like those trains run hourly). I'll also have at least 3 bags so I'll be a bit burdened

would it be possible to do something interesting/fun in this short amount of time? I don't even know how far away the airport is from the train station. I wouldn't mind having lunch somewhere or even just window shopping somewhere "unique" (i.e., no boring chain stores or eateries I could easily visit in Chicago). any ideas much appreciated before I buy these tickets. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Well you can take the SEPTA train to Market East (12th and Market) and check out the Reading Treminal Market - basically a block away for some great local cuisine. Then maybe meander back toward 30th street station (30th and Market) to catch you Amtrak train.

Along the way i migh suggest the old Wannamakers Store (Grand old Dept Store all done up for Christmas) then work your way down Walnut to take in some city sites toward the station.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,780,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well you can take the SEPTA train to Market East (12th and Market) and check out the Reading Treminal Market - basically a block away for some great local cuisine. Then maybe meander back toward 30th street station (30th and Market) to catch you Amtrak train.

Along the way i migh suggest the old Wannamakers Store (Grand old Dept Store all done up for Christmas) then work your way down Walnut to take in some city sites toward the station.

I was gonna recommend the Reading Terminal market too.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,864,768 times
The train between Philadelphia and Lancaster is very convenient (I used to ride everyday). It's before the holiday so it may get packed.

When you get to Philly International, you have 2 choices.

1. Take the Septa air port rail into 30th street station (I believe it's $8.75)
2. Take a taxi into the city ($28.50)

For the 2 hours you are in the city. Why not head down to Independence Mall (liberty bell), Consitution Center, Visitor Center.

When you are ready to head to Lancaster, you can take the regional rail at MarketEast station to 30th street train station. If you had purchased an Amtrak ticket in advance, the ride is free.

If you are interested in the Reading Terminal, that's right in the vicinity.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:15 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,723,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Hey all,
Plan A: take the Amtrak from Chicago to Lancaster.
I like this plan since I've never taken the train for such a long trip (plus, I can bring more bags!), but not only does it go through Pittsburgh, but I would even really have time to hang out there (gets into Pittsburgh around 5am and leaves around 7am). I'll likely only do this if I don't have enough time to do some solid sightseeing in Philly w/ Plan B

Plan B: fly into Philly and then take the train over to Lancaster.
I'm leaning more towards Plan B, even if it means checking bags, since it gives me more options to hang out in Philly. If I go w/ B, I can't at the Lancaster stop before 2pm (no one to pick me up otherwise!). My plan was to arrive around 10-11am, look around, then take the Amtrak around 2pm (plans are more flexible on that end since it looks like those trains run hourly). I'll also have at least 3 bags so I'll be a bit burdened
Plan B: you can leave your bags at 30th st with baggage I believe (not sure if you have to use red cap service to take advantage of this). there is no checked baggage service on the Keystone though. (red caps help you to your train).
why not a plan C? the best way to travel by train between Philly and Chicago is WB. the train to Pittsburgh arrives at 8 (sometimes earlier) and the outboung arrives at 11:30 giving you time to explore pittsburgh when things are actually open. so you'd fly into philly and take the train back
plan D: train to pittsburgh, catch megabus to harrisburg at 11 am giving you 5 hours there, train into philly on the way back.
Reading Terminal is a good lunch suggestion as is some place around rittenhouse sq which is a short walk from the station

Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 PM

51 posts, read 133,277 times
-visit the liberty bell/independence hall
-go to the zoo with roy halladay
-hear people say water funny
-witness an open air drug deal
-buy an "eagles are playing like ****" shirt from the guy at 16th & Chestnut

Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
thanks for the ideas. Reading Terminal sounds like what I'm looking for so I'll check that out along w/ maybe the Liberty Bell, time permitting. will have to do some research on the public transportation options and map out a route before I head out

Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
thanks for the ideas. Reading Terminal sounds like what I'm looking for so I'll check that out along w/ maybe the Liberty Bell, time permitting. will have to do some research on the public transportation options and map out a route before I head out

Also consider the Rittenhouse area, on the way back for Amtrak an more of an area that is Philly and not as much touristy

Hope you enjoy and safe travels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia