Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycphillygirl View Post
Keep in mind that Septa (the local transit system) is expensive. I'm not sure about a monthly pass, but I recently took the train from Center City, Philly to Rosemont (stop next to Villanova) and it was $6!!! I couldn't believe how much the fares increased since I've moved away from the area! The Eastern Main Line is absolutely gorgeous, though. Enjoy!
If you had bought a weekly or monthly pass, your cost would have been only $42 and $155, respectively. So there is definitely an incentive to buy a pass.

SEPTA | Trailpass

In the meantime, commuting from the suburbs - or maintaining a car downtown for a reverse commute - would be more than $6 per day due to limited and expensive parking options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,154 times
hmm didn't hear back from DenTex...may be she passed on 'Nova and moving to Philly area?

I moved to Center City from Dallas in June and am loving it so far and feel like I made the right choice. It is certainly a compromise in terms of higher costs and a different choice in housing. If you're used to all the new housing that is cheap, surely Philly area may disappoint at first. But at least in Center City, the bargain is that it's walkable so you won't spend any money on cars. Well, at least it works for me since my job is in Center City so I simply walk to it or take the subway or bus.

Most Center City employers subsidize SEPTA fares for their employees; at least mine does, so I don't pay anything out of pocket for my train/bus/subway/trolley rides.

It is of course colder here in winter, but the summer I thought was less oppressive than in Dallas, and I spent 7 years in Dallas area so I should know. Plus, Fall is an actual season here that lasts for at least a month or more and you get the beautiful colors and feel the change in seasons, which feels pretty foreign for someone from Texas.

And even in housing, as someone posted above, there are some far-out suburbs of Philly that have new construction and a construction pattern that is very sun-belt city like, so even someone from Denton may find something of their choice there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia