U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 03:52 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,463,962 times

Advertisements

1: Are most Philly rowhouses private homes or 2 (or 3) seperate apartments? Does it depend on the neighborhood? Do they have basements? Which do you think are better made, the old school traditional rowhouses, or the new prefabricated construction rowhouses popping up (Not the single family ranch style crap you find on NBroad/WGirard, the ones that blend in)? Not style but it terms of structural integrity.

2: How much does the train fare cost these days? How good is the coverage (what parts of the city are walking distance to stations)? I've only been a visitor to Philly, never lived there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 03:31 AM

136 posts, read 659,225 times
for #2 SEPTA - all the train info

can't help with question 1 too much.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the SEPTA site.

I think I answered some of the first question. Looking at diagrams for the homes, it seems when you rent you get the whole rowhouse. At least when it comes to the 2 story.

Still open questions:

-Do most have basements?
-Which do you think are better made, the old school traditional rowhouses, or the new prefabricated construction rowhouses popping up (Not the single family ranch style crap you find on NBroad/WGirard, the ones that blend in)? Not style but it terms of structural integrity.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-15-2007 at 06:59 PM..

Old 07-15-2007, 07:36 PM

42 posts, read 322,646 times
most do have basements.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 AM

136 posts, read 659,225 times
I would say just about everything in philly and the area will have a basement 90% of the time. and you probably could get a whole townhouse if you are looking on living on broad or girard is a dicey spot. hell if you are gonna rent you could probably just buy the darn thing.

if I had to choose I would take an old place if it was well maintained or my own, but new is new so the fixtures and floor etc will be in better shape most of the time...

Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 PM

468 posts, read 2,251,443 times
Rowhouses were originally built as single-family homes, where you own the entire structure from the ground to the roof, and share party walls on both sides with your neighbors.

If you're looking at rentals however, a lot of rowhouses have been cut up into smaller apartments. So basically just look into it and visit the place to see what the situation is.

Most of the old housing stock in Philly is very solid and will last a long time. The problem is the "systems:" the wiring, plumbing, heating, etc. Older homes tend to have problems with these. The typical family in 2007 has a lot more electrical needs than people did in 1937, for instance. Old wiring can be unreliable.

When yuppies invade an old neighborhood they gut the inside of the houses, replace those old systems, and basically build a new interior with modern amenities. The houses are structurally-sound; it's the interior, creature comforts that some people will have a problem with.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I'm going to have to rent now but eventually I would like to own a home. Looks like a gut renovation is the way to go unless you live in new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: