Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 PM

13 posts, read 50,054 times

Advertisements

Hey all! We may be moving for hubby to take a job near Villanova...
are there areas where one could find a house with 4br, nice yard, non-falling-apart house for at/under $200K??? I know its a stretch.. Ive seen some historic homes (which I LOVE!) that need some improvements for around $150-$160 in the Lansdowne/Chester Co areas... is this a good place to live or are we looking on the "wrong side of the tracks" for people with a young family??
Thanks!
Just Me- Chrissy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 06:22 PM

158 posts, read 811,844 times
Hi Chrissy,

Unfortunately, Villanova is a wealthy area. In fact, that entire area close to the Delaware County/Montgomery County line is flat out wealthy.

Lansdowne has some really nice houses. It is also within a few miles of one of the nastiest neighborhoods in all of Philadelphia. I'd recommend searching in the southern/southwestern areas of Delaware County. You'll find the type of home you're looking for in the under-200k range in a decent neighborhood. Crack out a map and check out areas like Ridley Park, Prospect Park, Norwood, and others in that general area. It's only about a 15 minute ride to Villanova.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:23 PM

What about Pottstown in Montgomery County? I like the historic houses there - - but is it a good area?
Thanks!
Chrissy

Old 07-24-2006, 09:21 AM

Pottstown is pretty far (~45 min-1 hour) from 'Nova and it's not the best area...

Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 AM

4,407 posts, read 9,091,044 times
Pottstown is a dump! I would stick with Ridley Park and places like that.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM

Ok... well, Ridley Park looks to be out of our price comfort zone...
what about Linwood, Yeadon, Lansdowne or Parkside??
Thanks for all the help so far! You guys are really narrowing it down for me!!
I wish we had a helicopter... the houses in Lancaster are great!!

Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmechrissy
Ok... well, Ridley Park looks to be out of our price comfort zone...
what about Linwood, Yeadon, Lansdowne or Parkside??
Thanks for all the help so far! You guys are really narrowing it down for me!!
I wish we had a helicopter... the houses in Lancaster are great!!
Well, Ridley Park is one of the more affordable places out here.

Linwood - Sort of a low-income, industrial area right near Marcus Hook. Not my cup of tea...not very residential at all. I think they are in the Sun Valley SD, a middle-of-the-road district.

Yeadon - Well, it borders West Philadelphia, one of the highest crime rate areas in the city. It is a minority neighborhood (over 80% African American). There are some nice houses in Yeadon. My only problem with it would be the fact that the school system is terrible and that it does border West Philly.

Parkside - Can be ok, but it depends on where you are. It borders Chester, a very low income, minority neighborhood with a VERY high crime rate.

Lansdowne is next to Yeadon. It is the "nicest" of the towns you listed. Again, it depends on where in Lansdowne you are situated...there are some gorgeous houses there!

Old 07-24-2006, 09:47 PM

179 posts, read 1,063,987 times
yeah nova is smack dab in the heart of money country. you might find a twin in havertown around 200. they do have great schools there also. There are some nice areas in upper darby that would work. Taxes in Yeadon are high compared to prices, also selling a home there is a pain, borough requires all sorts of inspections. Lansdowne is a big tease there are some beautiful and large homes at some interesting prices but you have watch that neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William shivers
yeah nova is smack dab in the heart of money country. you might find a twin in havertown around 200. they do have great schools there also. There are some nice areas in upper darby that would work. Taxes in Yeadon are high compared to prices, also selling a home there is a pain, borough requires all sorts of inspections. Lansdowne is a big tease there are some beautiful and large homes at some interesting prices but you have watch that neighborhood.
I'll second the Havertown suggestion. It's a nice area.

Upper Darby is sort of the same deal as Lansdowne. It all depends on where you buy your home. It also borders West Philly. Some areas are nice, while others are not. Upper Darby High School (coincidentally where I took my SATs) has an "OK" reputation.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:34 AM

You guys are being SO incredibly helpful - thank you all so much!!
I have another question...
is there a site to do like a driving time radius out from the area so I can see what townships to search? I like the idea of looking in Chester co or Montgomery CO... but dont know what cities/townships to search in so that hubby wont have to drive an hour each way to work. Are there nicer-rural areas about 40 minutes away to the west that anyone can suggest??
Thanks again...
I found some nice looking places earlier today in the Wallingford (sp?) school district and also in Ridley which I think you both said were good schools.

I think we are going to try stay farther west from Philly than Villanova is...
so nothing between nova and philly... I think its just easier on my brain that way!!
Thanks again!!
Chrissy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia