U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,146,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I've seen too many elderly people who live in areas where you need a car to go anywhere. When they reach the point where they can't drive anymore, they have to depend on taxis, friends or relatives to get anywhere. We're trying to avoid that happening in the distant future.
The opposit happened to me. I reached the point where I can't walk anymore so I depend on a car and I know others in this boat. If that happened to you then maybe a car in the future would be the answer. if you purchase a long term residence make sure there is provision for parking however.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 AM

8,378 posts, read 19,429,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Not necessarily true. I live in center city and King of Prussia is my mall of choice easily reachable from center city via the 124 or 125 bus. It starts at 13th and Market with various stops going to the Expressway at 30th Street.
Oh yeah, I'm aware of the 124/125 buses; I've taken them a time or ten myself. I'm just thinking for a "Baby Boomer" couple who might want to do some "serious" shopping, those buses may not accommodate their needs.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 AM

2,237 posts, read 7,128,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Oh yeah, I'm aware of the 124/125 buses; I've taken them a time or ten myself. I'm just thinking for a "Baby Boomer" couple who might want to do some "serious" shopping, those buses may not accommodate their needs.
Well, that's where www.carshare.com, or Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar comes in handy.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM

8,378 posts, read 19,429,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Absolutely! I think car sharing services were mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm definitely in the camp that believes owning a car in Center City and in much of the Philly metro is not necessary, especially for and couples. Of course, others' mileage may vary (no pun intended).

Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 AM

8,520 posts, read 15,120,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post
Most of the House Hunter episodes in Philadelphia that I have seen are actually in the suburbs. A car is really unnecessary, evena burden, in Center City and the adjacent neighborhoods. I highly recommend Center City for retirement. I walk everywhere or take public transportation which is free if you're 65.
I keep hearing people mention Center City.........how big is it?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,858,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I keep hearing people mention Center City.........how big is it?
People will call anything from Spring Garden to Girard the northern boundary of CC, and anything from South to Washington the southern boundary. The two rivers would serve as east-west boundaries, though some would consider the closer parts west of the Schuylkill to be CC as well. Check it on a map. There's not a hard and fast rule about the boundaries, and there are multiple neighborhoods located within Center City.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM

2,237 posts, read 7,128,506 times
This is pretty accurate and gives the various neighborhoods.

Center City, Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,863,422 times
Lived here car-free for twenty years. Mostly Center City and South Philly. It was fine. Bought a car reluctantly a month ago. Love it. It's liberating.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 3,397,611 times
I sold my car 11 years ago. I've been in South Philly for all of it. I have young kids now but I also have quite a few car sharing options within two blocks of my house. My only real complaint is having to mess with the carseats . . . but that'll be over in a few years.

With every passing year it only gets more convenient to live here sans car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Check it on a map. There's not a hard and fast rule about the boundaries, and there are multiple neighborhoods located within Center City.
Pretty much. While the purists will say "it's Vine to South St., the original boundaries of the city" most people also put the Parkway and Museums in Center City which takes that boundary up to Spring Garden St. It makes sense to me as South St. is 6 blocks south of Market and Spring Garden is 6 blocks north.

Over the last 10 years the demographics of Center City have spilled out into surrounding neighborhoods so, demographically speaking, Center City more accurately stretches from Washington up to Girard Ave.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 PM

203 posts, read 348,210 times
PhillyCarShare is excellent. They have numerous locations throughout the more densely populated areas of Philly.

Car sharing would make it possible to have a car for just a couple hours for grocery shopping or other errands.

The nice thing about Philly is that public transit and driving are both good options in most cases. A car isn't usually necessary, but it can make life more convenient.

Regarding living in NYC, it's only convenient to get to Philly by Amtrak, which is a minimum of $100 for one round trip. Taking NJ Transit to SEPTA is time-consuming and costs almost $50 for one round trip. Megabus is much cheaper, but they tend to be late and to get stuck in traffic.

I've lived in NYC and frequently visited Philly; there's not much you can get in NYC that you can't get in Philly. And NYC is far more expensive. Nor is it actually that easy to get around NYC without a car unless you live in Manhattan, or possibly areas close to the subway and close to Manhattan. I lived in Brooklyn, close to the second J/M train stop from Manhattan. It was surprisingly time-consuming to get to most of Manhattan, or even to most of Brooklyn for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia