Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,664 times

Advertisements

5 acres will be a stretch but if they are okay with 2 or 3 I think they'll have a good amount of things to choose from. Some may be a little dated, but it'll be mostly wallpaper/carpeting, nothing major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 05:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I know, I saw the listings....actually, most of the listings had far fewer than five acres....but pictures do not always tell the true story, as you know....one of the listings started off with something like, "The home has been staged so it shows MUCH better now!"...not a great sign....I have bought and sold quite a few homes so I can read between the lines in listings...I still do not think they will find what they're looking for at that price, unless they are far outside the city.
Chester County Horse Farms for Sale | PA Horse Farms for Sale

167 listings for farms in Chester County under $750K.

Post crash. Things have changed.

Houses on the main Line worth $2M 3 years ago are now going for under $1 M.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM

35 posts, read 106,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Be careful what you wish for concerning 4 seasons, we just got a foot of snow yesterday, last year we had nearly 7 feet. Mother nature has been hitting us pretty good the last few years.
I agree...Have you guys taken a trip in the winter? Even though it is cold and wet today in our area...It definitely is nothing compared to the weather of the East. This is a nice spring day for Philly. The winters are getting pretty harsh. It's something that my husband and I think about when we talk about moving back. I am from there and my hubby is from England, so we always think back to what it was like...I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer...
Make sure you take some trips in the winter and summer months so you know for sure. We moved to Buffalo without visiting and only stayed for 9 months because of the weather. Philly snow has NOTHING on Buffalo. I just got back from the East Coast - Philly - and it was cold, but just how I remembered it. Also, another thing to consider is the sun never gets as bright in Philly as it is in SoCal...the winter months are long, dark and grey compared to here. even on the sunny days. I am mentally preparing myself for this one. And maybe you guys are like us...and the weather is becoming less important than the real things in life.
but with all that said...You guys seem to know that you want to be in a place where people are more real and you can't get much realer than the East Coast. People will tell you straight up so there is no passive aggressiveness like in SoCal.

as for the livestock...I definitely think about getting an alpaca!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
OK, I'll admit those listings in Chester Springs and Glenmoore for under $750K do look promising...the houses are fairly new and mostly updated...they have 4 or 5 acres....and those areas are not exactly Outer Mongolia....I would definitely want to check those out if I were the OP.

As for the weather, yes, it will be a shock...but I'm sure the OP is aware he's moving to a different climate. Winters aren't usually too bad here in Philly, but last year was horrendous and this year's not starting off too promising. However, if the OP's priorities are less traffic and "realer" people, he should be very happy here.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired_of_OC View Post
Hi Folks,

My wife and I have the bug again to make the move and get out of California once and for all. The politics are crazy, the traffic is out of control, and the population is polarized with either the types you see on "Real Housewives" or uneducated indigent types, neither of whom we really want to be around any more. We are currently living a lifestyle most who fantasize about California life would dream of - $1M+ house in a gated community, kids in private school, successful business, luxury cars, etc. We have more property than most (1/2 acre) but long for more space! Life is great in our own little microcosm within our sterile environment, but stray beyond the gates and it's a whole other world that seems to be on a continually downward spiral. It sucks to be on the freeway at any time of day, you don't know your neighbors, and you fear for the safety of your kids if you have to go shopping at Wal-Mart, given the low-life scum that crawls the aisles...

Enough of the negativity. I'm tired of it all diving me nuts and want a different lifestyle for my family! We took a family trip to Pennsylvania a couple of years ago and loved it. We spent time in Philadelphia and found the history just overwhelmingly awesome, had a blast a Hershey Park (better than Disneyland for us!), went to Gettysburg, stayed on a farm in Lancaster County - it was just a really great trip. We've been to lots of places all over the country, but Pennsylvania just struck us as a place that might have a future for us. The countryside was beautiful and the people seemed really nice and genuine. Seasons? We always wished that we had more than one.

We are looking for a lifestyle somewhere in between suburban and rural. We would like a house on 5+ acres, newer or older doesn't matter, somewhere in or near the countryside but near modern shopping and dining conveniences. We don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere! Price, up to $750k. Within an hour or so of Philadelphia would be great. Good schools are a must, and we want ample opportunities for the kids for their academics and extra cirricular involvement, and not be isolated from social activities. And let's not forget that small town family atmosphere - something we've never had here in Southern California. We want to know our neighbors and feel safe. It may sound funny, but I want a property where I can have a tractor, a workshop, livestock, a truck, farm pumpkins and grow my own Christmas trees. A "simpler" life might sum it up. We will be keeping our business in CA and I will work from home part time, flying back maybe once every other month for a week.

So does anyone have any suggestions for us? Chester County? Bucks? Berks? Below is the cut-and-pasted form the sticky with more info. Thanks!

When are you moving? Within 2 years
Where are you coming from? Southern CA, Orange County
Why are you moving? Tired of CA and all the crap that comes along with living here
Where will you be working? From home, travelling periodically
Have you been here yet? Yes, a 2 week trip to areas between Philadelphia and Harrisburg

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House with acreage, up to $750k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 2 boys 10 and 12
Do you prefer public or private schools? Now in private (a must in S. CA) but would go public if in a good district
Do you have pets? Dog, cat, want livestock
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, we want acreage
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? A reasonable combination of both

What do you want to be closest to?
Work #5
Shopping #2
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) #1
Nightlife #3
Train or subway stations #4

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Similar

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? What sport do they play?
lol, read my rant...

Old 12-30-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
OK, I'll admit those listings in Chester Springs and Glenmoore for under $750K do look promising...the houses are fairly new and mostly updated...they have 4 or 5 acres....and those areas are not exactly Outer Mongolia....I would definitely want to check those out if I were the OP.

As for the weather, yes, it will be a shock...but I'm sure the OP is aware he's moving to a different climate. Winters aren't usually too bad here in Philly, but last year was horrendous and this year's not starting off too promising. However, if the OP's priorities are less traffic and "realer" people, he should be very happy here.
Those $750k farms in Chester Springs were $1..5 M 3 or 4 years ago. For what OP is asking for this area is a gold mine of oppurtunities.

I try and tell people that all the time. If you drive 45 minutes W of NYC you are in the madness of Jersey City and N Jersey. Drive 45 minutes west of Center City Philly and you are in sprawling green valleys like
Valley Forge,Yellow Springs, Pickering Valley.

Weather? Personally I think its a benefit for non-elderly people to live in a true 4 season climate. It kind of toughens you up and the change of seasons prevents against apathy. The Spring is like a religious experience its a sense of renewal, something to look forward to for sure. Then you have the 3-4 months of summer, beautiful fall, and then you have to serve winters atonement.

As far as being overcrowded and deluged by uneducated low-lifes as some of the Cali posters refer to? Suburban Philadlephia should be nirvana for them. The benefitis of being a large landlocked region is that there is ample oppurtunity for new growth. The new growth that is happening 30-1 hr from the city is all being done on the upscale mode. Not saying thats correct or to be applauded but thats just the way the regions growth is happening. You wont find too many lowlifes wandering around Chester Springs, Exton, Doylestown or Chadds Ford.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
it always amazes me to hear that there are people that want to relocate across the country to pennsylvania. i would kill to get out of PA! so what if philly has history? you want to live here because of that? i personally find this area to be extremely bland and typical (not philly proper, the city is badass, im talking about the burbs and rural outskirts). im sure there are better parts of cali to live in the OC. have you checked out other CA counties?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
it always amazes me to hear that there are people that want to relocate across the country to pennsylvania. i would kill to get out of PA! so what if philly has history? you want to live here because of that? i personally find this area to be extremely bland and typical (not philly proper, the city is badass, im talking about the burbs and rural outskirts). im sure there are better parts of cali to live in the OC. have you checked out other CA counties?
JustLion Did you overlook the OP's gripe about affordability?

Cali state income taxes are 10%. In Pa its 3%.

Combine that fact with the scarcity of livable land in Cali which leads to overpopulation and insane real estate costs. I can understand why someone would want to relocate from California to Pennsylvania.

Here is a photo of Bucks County Pa.(near Quakertown) looking at Blue Mt. A similar location in California would be 4x as more expensive to live.

If you make $100k a year $10,000 would go to Sacramento whereas on $3,00 of your earnings goes to Harrisburg.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired_of_OC View Post
Hi Folks,

My wife and I have the bug again to make the move and get out of California once and for all. The politics are crazy, the traffic is out of control, and the population is polarized with either the types you see on "Real Housewives" or uneducated indigent types, neither of whom we really want to be around any more. We are currently living a lifestyle most who fantasize about California life would dream of - $1M+ house in a gated community, kids in private school, successful business, luxury cars, etc. We have more property than most (1/2 acre) but long for more space! Life is great in our own little microcosm within our sterile environment, but stray beyond the gates and it's a whole other world that seems to be on a continually downward spiral. It sucks to be on the freeway at any time of day, you don't know your neighbors, and you fear for the safety of your kids if you have to go shopping at Wal-Mart, given the low-life scum that crawls the aisles...

Enough of the negativity. I'm tired of it all diving me nuts and want a different lifestyle for my family! We took a family trip to Pennsylvania a couple of years ago and loved it. We spent time in Philadelphia and found the history just overwhelmingly awesome, had a blast a Hershey Park (better than Disneyland for us!), went to Gettysburg, stayed on a farm in Lancaster County - it was just a really great trip. We've been to lots of places all over the country, but Pennsylvania just struck us as a place that might have a future for us. The countryside was beautiful and the people seemed really nice and genuine. Seasons? We always wished that we had more than one.

We are looking for a lifestyle somewhere in between suburban and rural. We would like a house on 5+ acres, newer or older doesn't matter, somewhere in or near the countryside but near modern shopping and dining conveniences. We don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere! Price, up to $750k. Within an hour or so of Philadelphia would be great. Good schools are a must, and we want ample opportunities for the kids for their academics and extra cirricular involvement, and not be isolated from social activities. And let's not forget that small town family atmosphere - something we've never had here in Southern California. We want to know our neighbors and feel safe. It may sound funny, but I want a property where I can have a tractor, a workshop, livestock, a truck, farm pumpkins and grow my own Christmas trees. A "simpler" life might sum it up. We will be keeping our business in CA and I will work from home part time, flying back maybe once every other month for a week.

So does anyone have any suggestions for us? Chester County? Bucks? Berks? Below is the cut-and-pasted form the sticky with more info. Thanks!

When are you moving? Within 2 years
Where are you coming from? Southern CA, Orange County
Why are you moving? Tired of CA and all the crap that comes along with living here
Where will you be working? From home, travelling periodically
Have you been here yet? Yes, a 2 week trip to areas between Philadelphia and Harrisburg

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House with acreage, up to $750k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 2 boys 10 and 12
Do you prefer public or private schools? Now in private (a must in S. CA) but would go public if in a good district
Do you have pets? Dog, cat, want livestock
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, we want acreage
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? A reasonable combination of both

What do you want to be closest to?
Work #5
Shopping #2
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) #1
Nightlife #3
Train or subway stations #4

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Similar

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? What sport do they play?

I agree that Bucks would be a good place to move. The schools are outstanding, the homes are lovely, lots to do all year long and very "livestock" friendly but even in the more upscale locatations, horses are everywhere and generally speaking, Bucks County is a very poplular place to live.
Good luck with the move!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Here is a photo of Bucks County Pa.
what is the point of you posting this photo? the 2 states and areas are nothing alike as far as scenery... if someone wants to trade in the nice weather and lifestyle of SoCal for the extreme seasonal weather and backwards lifestyle of PA than good luck to them. not my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia