Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 54,968 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Philly suburbs from Columbus, OH this summer. We think we'll be living somewhere on the Main Line either in Lower Merion, Radnor or T/E school districts. My daughter has 1 year left of preschool. She is turning 5 in October so I am looking for a Pre-K. What are the names of some good preschools in the area?

I know it is a broad area, but I can narrow down the type of preschool I am looking for. I am not looking at Montessori schools just because she has been in a more traditional play-based preschool setting and I don't want to switch her to Montessori in her last year. We would consider a preschool in a Reform Jewish temple or a JCC, but probably not a preschool in a church or at least one that is heavily Christian. We are planning to do public schools so probably not a prep school where most of the kids end up going to private Kindergarten.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,988 times
Here's a list of some popular nursery schools in the Wallingford-Swarthmore school district. I recognize this isn't where you're looking but perhaps you will find it useful for comparisons as you do your research:

Swarthmore Presbyterian Nursery Day School (NAEYC accredited, happens to be in a church but has no religious curriculum)
Swarthmore Presbyterian Nursery Day School (http://swarthmorepres.org/spnds.aspx - broken link)

Wallingford Co-Operative Nursery School (in a church/no religious curriculum)
Wallingford Co-Op Nursery School

Old Union Nursery School (in a church/no religious curriculum)
Old Union Nursery School, Rose Valley, PA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Kehillah Early Learning Center Federation (in a synagogue/no religious curriculum)
Federation Early Learning Services :: Kehillah Early Learning Center

The School in Rose Valley (private preK-8 school, also has an awesome summer camp)
the School In Rose Valley offers a strikingly different model of how young children should be educated : School In Rose Valley

One other thing you may want to consider: Many public kindergartens (particularly in the better school districts) are half-day. As such, many nursery schools offer "kindergarten complement" (or similarly named) programs so that your kindergartner has something to do the other half of the school day. With your daughter so close to kindergarten you might want to consider a nursery school that includes such an option.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM

Thank you! My husband thinks we should investigate this area more so we'll probably look around here when it comes time to house hunt. We drove through Swarthmore, very pretty there, and some of Media (I guess that is actually the Rose-Tree Media district). My concern is that is might actually be too rural/small town for us but maybe I didn't see the more developed areas.

We have half day kindergarten here in Ohio too. My son attends it now and I can attest it is a short day! That's a good idea about looking into after school programs. She might be ready for that by then, especially when her brother is in school all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
Here's a list of some popular nursery schools in the Wallingford-Swarthmore school district. I recognize this isn't where you're looking but perhaps you will find it useful for comparisons as you do your research:

Swarthmore Presbyterian Nursery Day School (NAEYC accredited, happens to be in a church but has no religious curriculum)
Swarthmore Presbyterian Nursery Day School (http://swarthmorepres.org/spnds.aspx - broken link)

Wallingford Co-Operative Nursery School (in a church/no religious curriculum)
Wallingford Co-Op Nursery School

Old Union Nursery School (in a church/no religious curriculum)
Old Union Nursery School, Rose Valley, PA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Kehillah Early Learning Center Federation (in a synagogue/no religious curriculum)
Federation Early Learning Services :: Kehillah Early Learning Center

The School in Rose Valley (private preK-8 school, also has an awesome summer camp)
the School In Rose Valley offers a strikingly different model of how young children should be educated : School In Rose Valley

One other thing you may want to consider: Many public kindergartens (particularly in the better school districts) are half-day. As such, many nursery schools offer "kindergarten complement" (or similarly named) programs so that your kindergartner has something to do the other half of the school day. With your daughter so close to kindergarten you might want to consider a nursery school that includes such an option.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 12,718 times
Default Main Line Preschools

I've compiled a list, thought not exhaustive, to help get you going in the right direction. Goto Main Line Realty Rag
I'm not a parent, so I don't have any experience with these schools, other than listening to friends and clients talk about them. Best of luck.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebalasvegas2 View Post
I've compiled a list, thought not exhaustive, to help get you going in the right direction. Goto Main Line Realty Rag
I'm not a parent, so I don't have any experience with these schools, other than listening to friends and clients talk about them. Best of luck.
wow. thank you! I have already looked into the Main Line Reform Temple in Wynnewood. that's a definite possibility if we end up in that area. Thanks for the other names too.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM
JEO

21 posts, read 64,735 times
Hi there! There are a ton of good options for preschools on the Main Line. My children attend public school in Radnor, so we were looked at schools that were not heavily "pre-private school" oriented. St. David's Episcopal Church as a wonderful school - It is on the premises of the church in Wayne, but not affiliated with it. With that said, there is no religious influence - actually it is mixed with Christian and Jewish families. Central Nursery School (campus in Villanova and Wayne) is also good and has no religious affiliation - also I have heard most students go on to public elementary schools. My children attended Wayne Presbyterian Nursery School and we were very happy with it. Most students go on to Radnor or T/E schools. There is some religion incorporated in the curriculum but it's clearly not a focus. On a side note, we have been delighted with Radnor public schools! Good luck!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEO View Post
Hi there! There are a ton of good options for preschools on the Main Line. My children attend public school in Radnor, so we were looked at schools that were not heavily "pre-private school" oriented. St. David's Episcopal Church as a wonderful school - It is on the premises of the church in Wayne, but not affiliated with it. With that said, there is no religious influence - actually it is mixed with Christian and Jewish families. Central Nursery School (campus in Villanova and Wayne) is also good and has no religious affiliation - also I have heard most students go on to public elementary schools. My children attended Wayne Presbyterian Nursery School and we were very happy with it. Most students go on to Radnor or T/E schools. There is some religion incorporated in the curriculum but it's clearly not a focus. On a side note, we have been delighted with Radnor public schools! Good luck!
Thank you!! I have been wanting to hear more about the Radnor area. I have actually heard of St. David's from a friend in Devon whose daughter attends. It is definitely on my short list. I am so torn between these areas (Radnor, T/E and LM). I have heard so many good things about them all. I guess it will come down to where we find a house we love.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 AM
JEO

21 posts, read 64,735 times
You can't go wrong with living in any of these school districts. Radnor is a smaller school district then T/E and Lower Merion, which is the main reason we chose it. Generally, there are about 300 students in a class at Radnor High School vs. about 500 students in a class at Conestoga (T/E). I'm not sure about Lower Merion - they have two high schools. While these municipalities have similar demographics, the feel is definitely different. Lower Merion is very close to Philadelphia and has many different housing options from large parcels (Gladwyne area) to dense residential to twins/row homes. On the other end, T/E is predominantly larger lots with newer homes (for the area - lots of 70s/80s construction). Radnor is definitely a mix of both - downtown Wayne/St. Davids area has older homes, with the newer (70s/80s construction) in the south portion (Bryn Mawr area). Radnor has a very new middle school (past 5 years or so) in downtown Wayne. Wayne is one of the most vibrant towns along the Main Line and has several restaurants and nice independent retail. It's very walkable and the middle school being smack in the middle of town lends itself well to being part of the community. Additionally, Radnor Elementary is 10 years old and a state of the art facility. The Radnor community is wonderful - in addition to the schools, the township Parks & Recreation department if fabulous for families with young children. Radnor Day Camp is very reasonably priced and is a great summer camp for toddlers/elementary age kids - it incorporates swimming lessons at the high school, outdoor sports, theater, etc. It is extremely well run. We also love the diversity at Radnor - there is such a nice balance of students from different ethnicities and economic backgrounds. I can't say enough good things...

Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 10,912 times
We live in Narberth and our daughter goes to Penn Wynne Presbyterian Church Nursery School. I can't say enough good things about the program. It's a great mix of academics and socialization and it does not have any religious aspect to it at all. I also know lots of people who have their kids in the nursery school at Ardmore Presbyterian. The preschool at Overbrook is supposed to be great, too, as is the program at Wayne Presbyterian Church. I hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia