Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,969 times

Advertisements

Hi 3littlerascals !

Mom with four and we're looking for any and all resourses. Please help! We have school age kids and Oxford is a completely new area for my family.

Good crabs in Oxford: $55 a dz.
Farmer's Market with fresh fruit, vegetables and really good bbq pork sandwichs: $20-25 a visit
Another mom who knows all about the area: PRICELESS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:27 AM

460 posts, read 2,416,903 times
For those who are moving houses in my area are selling rather quick. They are not building a lot here. Sewer permits on hold. If you want Southern Chester County now is a good time to come out and look. My house is also up for sale and if you want to see the listing please IM. My husband and I are relo out of state.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:06 AM

70 posts, read 232,836 times
I'm in delaware county, taxes are ok depending which town you are in, looks like so. chester co is higher. Just want more space between neighbors, friendlier neighbors but not in the middle of nowhere.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,936 times
I just moved to west Grove and love it........you can hear a pin drop after 7:30 pm ANY night. A pub or something close by would be nice and you DO get used to the smell. The majority of the smell is coming from a fertilizer plant that supposedly is shutting down and a new park is in the works. Learning Spanish would probably be a plus too.....Im working on it

Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaWHERE View Post
I just moved to west Grove and love it........you can hear a pin drop after 7:30 pm ANY night. A pub or something close by would be nice and you DO get used to the smell. The majority of the smell is coming from a fertilizer plant that supposedly is shutting down and a new park is in the works. Learning Spanish would probably be a plus too.....Im working on it
Well I speak English, so that just helped make that decision.....

Old 06-27-2007, 05:07 PM

460 posts, read 2,416,903 times
I do not live in West Grove but close by it(7 miles). We do not need spanish here. The taxes here were much lower than when I lived in Springfield Delaware County. We moved here because we got MORE land and MORE house for the money. I live in a small town which has a lot of nice homes and not much else. Again you don't know till you come out and look. Might not be for you and it just might.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:28 PM

thanks again all...penciltuky, what town are you in out there? I know their taxes are more than here in delco. It still amazes me that people want to move here, guess growing up here I know what it used to be like

Old 07-03-2007, 02:34 PM

104 posts, read 309,474 times
If you can find an affordable house in Chadds Ford, it is an unbelievable school district. Rated # 1 in PA for three years. Go to GreatSchools.net and you can find everything about particular schools as well as districts. You can pull up test scores, ethnicity, teacher/student ratio etc.. We have moved a lot due to my husband's job and that website is my savior. We moved here a couple of years ago and my kids (elementary age) made friends so fast. There are also some great youth athletic clubs in WC, So Chester and Garnet Valley which helps in the "friend making area", if your kids are into athletics. Taxes aren't bad and you would definitely get land. Toll Brothers are building new homes near Pocopson Middle School that start in the high $400's, I've heard. (low for TB, so you may want to research that)
You will get more house for your money in Kennett but I wouldn't suggest the schools. Don't know much about the other areas, my husband commutes to Philli and Chadds Ford is a short distance to 95 and the airport.
Garnet Valley is another good school district but the taxes are really high and you won't get the land.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:12 PM

17 posts, read 64,123 times
Kennett Square, lived on the grounds of Longwood Gardens for four years - loved it, sorry I left. Good restaurants, close to the city but not in contact with it. Southern
Chester County has got to be one of the gardens pots of this earth.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,695 times
We (family of 5) moved to Southern Chester County from Delaware County. My profession is nursing and I discovered that there is a major decrease in salary the further you move away from Philadelphia. I tried to commute to my old job in Philly for the first year, but three hours drving a day was getting to me, so I quit and got a job at a local hospital. I worked with some very odd people, the hospital had a weird vibe to it, AND my wages were cut in half. Although people did come out and visit us occasionally, it was too far of a drive for most to come frequently. Oh, and there was no regional phone calling plan, so that my phone calls to family, friends, and doctors in Delaware County were costing lots of $$$. My older 2 children went to Avon Grove High School, which I thought was mediocre at best, but at least it was better than the Oxford School District! Good things about S. Chester Co: really nice new homes for much less than comparable new homes in Delaware County, more free land, horses/horse back rding lessons, proximity to Chesapeake Bay area (about 1/2 hour). We moved back to Delaware County after 5 years and I am so happy to be back here! Perhaps my experience living in S. Chester County would have been more of a success had I been better at adapting and was able to forget my old friends/the job I loved/family, etc. I discovered that being close to the things that mean something to me is way more important than a pretty new house!

Last edited by francescafree; 01-28-2008 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia