Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:38 PM

35 posts, read 190,416 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am considering on relocating to Philadelphia, PA and I would like to receive your advice regarding the:

Transit system - am I able to live in the city without a car?

Schools - How are the schools in the city? How do they rank from all other states?

Income Tax - What is the % for income tax?

Tax Incentives - Does the city offer tax incentives if you purchase a historical home and/or update it with eco friendly technologies?

Rental Cost - Cost to rent a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment, condo/loft, home?

Areas to Live in the city - easy walking commute to and from, stores, restaurants, affordable housing, etc..

I hope some one out there who is already living in the city is able to help me with these important questions.

In advance, thank you and I appreciate all of your help, assistance, and your informative knowledge!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
I can answer at least some of your questions, I think.

The closer to downtown you live, the less you will need a car. You will have your longest ride from neighborhoods in the Northeast section of town.

Philly schools are improving slowly but surely. The two best elementary schools are arguably Greenfield in Center City and Penn Alexander in University City. If you live in either of these neighborhoods, your kids are pretty much guaranteed to get in. If not, you'll need to be very well-connected. For high school, many of the magnet schools are good as well as Masterman for gifted students and the "crown jewel" Central High. If your family doesn't fit into any of these situations, other options include public charter schools, private/parochial schools or the suburban lifestyle.

PA has a flat 2.8% state income tax.

To the contrary of your good idea, if you purchase certain new or already rehabbed housing stock, you won't have to pay property taxes for ten years.

I'm a little out of the loop on rental rates but I would guesstimate $800-$1400 depending on how fashionable the neighborhood is.

Center City is the most walkable section of town. Of course, it's also the most expensive. Across the Schuykill (SCHOOL-kill) River, University City is a somewhat more affordable alternative although you are more likely to rent out a section of a home than an apartment building... unless you want to compete with the wealthier Penn students who populate some of the newest complexes. If you value diversity, check out West Mt. Airy towards the NW part of the city. These are my favorite neighborhoods. Others' mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA777 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am considering on relocating to Philadelphia, PA and I would like to receive your advice regarding the:

Schools - How are the schools in the city? How do they rank from all other states?

Tax Incentives - Does the city offer tax incentives if you purchase a historical home and/or update it with eco friendly technologies?

Areas to Live in the city - easy walking commute to and from, stores, restaurants, affordable housing, etc..

I hope some one out there who is already living in the city is able to help me with these important questions.

In advance, thank you and I appreciate all of your help, assistance, and your informative knowledge!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:15 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,149 times
As an addition to Tone's post, I would like to add the McCall (in Society Hill) and Meredith in (Queen Village) are also excellent public schools. In addition both Henry and Houston in West Mt. Airy are as well.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 PM

35 posts, read 190,416 times
Thank you - I appreaciate your detailed recommendations!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:47 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA777 View Post
Hi Everyone,

A. Transit System- yes, you can live in Philly without a car. Depending on where you live/are going to is whether or not you should do it at NIGHT is one thing...but yes, the transportation system can get you all over

B. Schools- um.......most of them are not good. When I lived in Philly I put my children in private school. I taught in the public school system. All you have to do is go onto the Philadelphia School District website, click on an individual school from where you want to look at to live...and then click on any academic links it might provided-example: grade 3 test scores. You will see exactly how many children are below level. In many of the schools-there are hardly any children above level...and in some schools, there's more children below level even than on level!

C. Areas to live: well, if you want walking...downtown somewhere would be good. But you said affordable........what is your price range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia