Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,072 times

Advertisements

Again, I'd recommend contacting your dpt chair or someone in your program to see if you can get into contact with other incoming or current graduate students. Other areas you might consider (within Phila boundaries) are Mount Airy, East Falls, or Manayunk. You could also look at Conshohocken (which is out of the Phila border).

Will you be working in Phila? I'm not familiar with all of the rules of the wage tax, but if you're on a tight budget the wage tax is definitely something you should familiarize yourself with. Basically in Philly, there is a tax on your wages. If you work in Philly and live outside of Philly you pay one rate (3.5% of your wages, I think), but if you live in Philly you have 3.9% of your wages taxed regardless of where you work. So, if you intend to work outside of the Philly border and your budget is tight, you might think about living just outside of Philly to avoid the tax. If you're working in Philly - then it won't matter, you're paying the tax anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM

29 posts, read 46,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Again, I'd recommend contacting your dpt chair or someone in your program to see if you can get into contact with other incoming or current graduate students. Other areas you might consider (within Phila boundaries) are Mount Airy, East Falls, or Manayunk. You could also look at Conshohocken (which is out of the Phila border).

Will you be working in Phila? I'm not familiar with all of the rules of the wage tax, but if you're on a tight budget the wage tax is definitely something you should familiarize yourself with. Basically in Philly, there is a tax on your wages. If you work in Philly and live outside of Philly you pay one rate (3.5% of your wages, I think), but if you live in Philly you have 3.9% of your wages taxed regardless of where you work. So, if you intend to work outside of the Philly border and your budget is tight, you might think about living just outside of Philly to avoid the tax. If you're working in Philly - then it won't matter, you're paying the tax anyway.

I am working in philadelphia, and I will definitely contact the chair in my dept. And I saw a mount airy apts weren't sure if that was in the good zone or not but I'm making a trip in march to look around. Everyone say its to early to look but I don't wanna be looking like boo boo the fool when that time comes.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWay4me View Post
I am working in philadelphia, and I will definitely contact the chair in my dept. And I saw a mount airy apts weren't sure if that was in the good zone or not but I'm making a trip in march to look around. Everyone say its to early to look but I don't wanna be looking like boo boo the fool when that time comes.
the train runs much more infrequently than the subway offpeak. I'd stick with the subway if possible.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the train runs much more infrequently than the subway offpeak. I'd stick with the subway if possible.
Are you talking about in the Mount Airy area?? I think Ill be living in that area.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWay4me View Post
Are you talking about in the Mount Airy area?? I think Ill be living in that area.
The subway doesn't service the Mount Airy neighborhood. You'd have to take the train in that case. If you can synchronize your schedule to the train schedule then you can definitely do it. Other's of us are just lazier and like to be able to take the subway at any random time. Although, it is much more convenient. You would have to stick close to a rapid transit line though.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
The subway doesn't service the Mount Airy neighborhood. You'd have to take the train in that case. If you can synchronize your schedule to the train schedule then you can definitely do it. Other's of us are just lazier and like to be able to take the subway at any random time. Although, it is much more convenient. You would have to stick close to a rapid transit line though.

So what other neighborhoods are close to the subway?? I think I still want the convience (sp) of getting somewhere fast and other amenities, shopping etc.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 AM

So what Good Apts are close to the subway and yet still safe enough for me to cruise down the street.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times
Graduate Hospital, Bella Vista, maybe East Passyunk. Northern Liberties/Fishtown is close to the El.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
There are many bus routes in Mt. Airy that go the Olney station of the Broad Street subway in about 20 minutes.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:07 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,181 times
With your budget and no roomates, I suggest you look in the Whitman and South Central Philly sections of S Philly. You'll be close to Passyunk Square, which has a cool artistic vibe that you'll probably really like. You'll have easy access to all public transportation options and you'll be close to the city proper unlike then if you lived in say Mt Airy or Roxborough (both cool areas, but further out of town). You should be able to find a one bedroom apt or small trinity row home in your budget.

Another option is N. of Girard - Kensington or Fishtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia