Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,539 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks to Tone509 and solibs for posing some good starter Q’s to help me frame my relocation situation:

I’m a single, mid-30’s male and I’m planning to move from the South to the Philly area some between April/May. I’m pursuing a job in education located on the Main Line, but I don’t think I can afford to live in that immediate vicinity.

I will have a stable but modest wage, and my target rent is $900-1,200/mo., and I’m looking for suggestions on places to rent an apartment, townhouse, or loft with the following criteria in mind:

I have no kids or pets, but would like to rent a place with room for overnight friends/family, so a 2 BR (or decent size studio) is ideal, but not mandatory. I’ve been a bit of a pack rat, so a garage or decent storage space would be ideal, too. I don’t need a yard, just room for outdoor grilling. I also prefer low-hassle parking, and a place where it’s easy to get a bicycle in and out.

As for the neighborhood location and quality of life: I prefer to live in a calm, quiet suburban neighborhood outside the city. I don’t want to be surrounded by incessant loud partying or other drama. I value friendly, respectful neighbors who care about their neighborhood, and I appreciate a community that is diverse in terms of age, race, religion and sexual preference. It doesn’t have to be notably cool, hip or “bustling,” but I value a nice coffee shop, and access to a park and decent trail to run/bike (especially walking distance from where I live).

In terms of driving distance, I want to live close to basic services (supermarket, drugstore, dry cleaner, etc.). I’d also like to be in proximity (a short drive) to social/cultural cultural scenes where I can connect with other single professionals. I'm straight so of course it would be nice to meet some single women, in particular.

While I’ll have a car, I’d value the opportunity to use public transit for my work commute to a college/university on the Main Line in 50 min. or less (if possible), and living within walking distance to a train stop would be a awesome, or at least having free/easy parking when I take the train.

Thanks for your suggestions regarding neighborhoods and rental options which might be compatible with my needs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,186,288 times
Welcome.

A couple good tools to use are the Google map feature. Go to Google.com and keep clicking until you get to the western suburbs of Philadelphia. Eventually it will show you the terrain and take you down to street level. Its an awesome tool for people on the move, not so awesome for privacy and those wary of big brother.Scary stuff I can see into my living room from that feature.

Another tool is the apt search on Craigslist.

Put in your max rent and nearby towns and you will have a couple hundred options to look at.

I'll suggest looking in:

West Chester/Goshen(lots of nice apt communities).
King of Prussia
Chesterbrook
Valley Forge
Wayne
Malvern
Ardmore
Bryn Mawr
Haverford

Here are a couple of nearby outdoor recreational areas with biking hiking trails.

Valley Forge National Park

http://www.nps.gov/vafo/index.htm

Ridley Creek State Park

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...dleycreek.aspx

Good luck. Hope that helps a bit.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,539 times
Thanks for your suggestions, rainrock!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:45 PM

52 posts, read 127,794 times
I would recommend some places in addition to what the poster above recommended-- like you, I live a similar life and prefer similar things.

Conshohocken is great. Not terribly close to the Main Line (still close) but, it's country enough but there are a lot of single people who live there... awesome place, lots of available rentals in that price range.

Craigslist is definitely your best bet.

Depending on where exactly you'll be, on the Main Line... I also recommend Devon.

Where exactly are you working on the Main Line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia