Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
haha that's what i said.

i mean i understand the guy is trying to help. and listing schools that offer it is a great help.

but to pass off water polo as popular in this area is just flat out misleading.

to say that water polo is as popular as curling in Philadelphia is to discount the popularity of curling... which basically doesn't exist.

again, lived in philly for almost 30 years. never once have i heard any mention of water polo ever. never seen a score in the paper, never saw any adverts for it, def never knew anyone who played.

so again i think your best bet would be to find a good swimming program that you and your kids like. the best you'll probably do is intramural water polo at a local Y or pool.

if it is that important to you though and you have an extra 30 grand then by all means check out the schools cpomp posted.
OMG people i never said it was a popular sport, i said there are schools that offer water polo. Swimming is obviously a very popular sport, and is much more popular than water polo. Im saying that there are schools that offer water polo out there, and more than you think, and yes water polo is mentioned in the philadelphia inquirrer from time to time in the high school winter sports section. I swam against many different private schools and have visited many different private schools, and there are participants in water polo. Obviously you cant go to any high school in the area and talk about, but in montgomery county, it is a known sport. Just because you 2 have never heard of it doesnt mean it doesnt get played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
OMG people i never said it was a popular sport
Quote:
Swimming and water polo are very popular sports in the southeastern section of PA, I dont know how you didnt know that.
just saying, ya did

Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
if your kid(s) are very into water polo and you're looking for a public school, North Penn is about as good as you can get. they won the state championship at least 3 times in the last decade. their swimming program is also one of the best in the state (if not the best) and has won numerous state championships as well. there are at least a few other public schools with water polo - i believe wissahickon and upper merion are two of them, but they are in montgomery county. not sure about Delco.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
if your kid(s) are very into water polo and you're looking for a public school, North Penn is about as good as you can get. they won the state championship at least 3 times in the last decade. their swimming program is also one of the best in the state (if not the best) and has won numerous state championships as well. there are at least a few other public schools with water polo - i believe wissahickon and upper merion are two of them, but they are in montgomery county. not sure about Delco.

Thankyou there is someone who finally backed me up. everyone else thought i was making things up. The only school in Delco with water polo i think is episcopal Academy.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Thankyou there is someone who finally backed me up. everyone else thought i was making things up. The only school in Delco with water polo i think is episcopal Academy.
no one denied there were people playing water polo around philly. There are over 5 million people in area probably just about every sport in the world today is played by at least a few people in the area. But you were acting like water polo was popular and it's not. I know some people from drexel who play crickett doesn't mean it's popular.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,060 times
also check out the greater Philadelphia water polo club for the off season!!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
no one denied there were people playing water polo around philly. There are over 5 million people in area probably just about every sport in the world today is played by at least a few people in the area. But you were acting like water polo was popular and it's not. I know some people from drexel who play crickett doesn't mean it's popular.

Ok i guess i said it wrong, swimming is very popular around here, water polo isnt but it is well known from the people ive talked too, and many people on the mainline who go to prep schools. So i guess to a small group of people its popular and well known, but not like other sports.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 800 times
Never could all these posts be so wrong. Malvern Prep, The Haverford School, Episcopal Academy, Germantown Academy, Penn Charter Academy, Upper Merion, Plymouth Whitemarsh HS, North Penn, and Friends Central Academy all have developed water polo teams. It is always in the newspaper. Water Polo is continually gaining ground in the Main Line for both private and public schools. 30 years in the Philadelphia area and you have never heard of a water polo program? Where do you live? Doylestown? Obviously you do not live with in the Philly area at all or are sheltered. I am sure you have already found your answer for water polo programs, but for future notice, yes Philly does have water polo, and yes, it is easy to find.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,920 times
I've lived closer to Philly than most who live in the MainLine and Montco and Bucks for my whole life so far and I've never heard of water polo in this area. I always figured the ritzy areas had the sport though.

Still, with the amount of athletes competing in "unlikely" sports in these current Olympics, you would think that people would realize that you can pretty much participate in any sport these days, regardless of where you come from. Especially a sport like water polo. The only obstacle to this would be that so many community pools in and around the city have closed down in the past 20 years.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
I think the OP just wanted to know what schools have water polo, not if it was popular or not. What may be popular with your demographic may not be popular in someone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia