Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,617,656 times

Advertisements

I am actually looking at possibly heading back, so add me and my wife as well. Just recently moved to the declining city of Cincinnati, and things might work out better for me back home in Philly.

Glad to see the city finally growing as it never has in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM

854 posts, read 1,236,770 times
They just released the figures for Arizona.

The 2010 population of Phoenix is 1,445,632
The 2010 population of Philadelphia is 1,526,006

So Philadelphia remains the fifth-largest city in the United States, despite what the misleading intercensal estimates were saying.

Go Philly!

Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,561,049 times
Alright!

We're number 5!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM

725 posts, read 1,207,394 times
YAY, We claimed our spot back. Now we have to take down Houston.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,791,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post

Not going to happen, Houston will continue to grow and has so much more land

Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,649,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not going to happen, Houston will continue to grow and has so much more land
Yeah, we will never retake Houston because of their insane amount of square mileage of the city limits... Almost 600 sq miles

Philly only has 132 sq miles

Old 09-10-2012, 02:16 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Woohoo! Go Philly! Now I need a soft pretzel to celebrate.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,893,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Actually, I don't think Philly ever lost the 5th spot; the estimates were just wrong.

We remain one of only two cities to be top 5 most populous throughout the history of The United States.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,890,283 times
Well, reaching the 2,000,000 mark is not impossible if the city continues to reinvent, refurbish, & rebuild itself.
Schools and jobs, and of course a lower crime rate will surely play major roles in retaining families as well as newcomers within its borders.

Philly can add another 1,000 000 residents in the city, developers would have to continue to build up in some areas ( condos, apartments) and 3 story homes in others. Also there are plenty of three story homes and 4 & 5 Victorian style home/apartment conversions in the city now. Some have been converted for modern day living and there are plenty more that can be transformed..
Does anyone remember the " Franklyn Town & Brewery Town" sections of North Philly back in the early 80's to mid 90's??
Remember the cop shootings over there and the blatant open air drug markets around the 18th & Wallace area?

Today it's a much different place as well as the 40th street area from
Market to Baltimore and west to 50th and many blocks inbetween.. I went to high school over there and knew lots of people, trust me it's changed.... A lot.
I firmly believe that most of the city can change like this especially near the universities. I believe that La Salle should follow suit as did Drexel and Temple who've followed the likes of Penn, which has long been a major player in the redevelopment of its surrounding area. Also St. Joes should look into making its surrounding area just a bit more commercially appealing to dine, shop, or be entertained by use of a movie theater and a few theaters and art galleries.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 AM

283 posts, read 606,036 times
I 100% agree that the progress around university areas especially has been drastic (in a good way) so far.

Gentrification comes with jobs. Philadelphia needs more professional jobs. People my age (29) want to live and work in the city, but the opportunities can be very limited. Of my city friends, one works in West Chester, one in Jenkintown, one in Abington, one in Valley Forge, one in Norristown, one in Voorhees (NJ) - only two in Philadelphia. That's 25% in my sample of 8, and I think it's fairly representative if you were to extrapolate it to a statistically valid sample size. In the city core, you have Comcast, a few insurance companies, health care companies, law firms, and government jobs. Just do a job search to see how few opportunities really exist within city limits.

The city has long had a bizarre attitude towards business (the wage tax goes back to the 30's?). The wage tax reductions, business tax reform, etc. are steps in the right direction, but meanwhile, a lot of statistic growth is coming from affluent residents (many of them retirees) moving into Center City and population growth in immigrant populations in areas like the lower Northeast. The latter population is chasing service sector jobs. The former is there for the hospitals and the city life. Regardless of the growth on paper, the number one focus needs to be jobs, jobs, jobs. Bring good jobs and good people, a good tax base, and good schools will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia