U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM

8,511 posts, read 10,775,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But Philly's boundaries have been unchanged since before the Civil War. Phoenix expanded it's boundaries 30x, from 17 square miles to 519 square miles just since 1950. We are allowed to be huffy.

I say we expand the borders of Philly to 519 square miles, then we can be a city of 5-6 million, and be #2!
That would be great if Philly could annex more land again. It could easily surpass Houston in population with just Delaware county alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,851,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That would be great if Philly could annex more land again. It could easily surpass Houston in population with just Delaware county alone.
Oh, don't even get me started on Houston, with its 600+ square miles...

Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 AM

9,061 posts, read 16,805,739 times
and what would you have these cities do ..... create 50 sub cities to keep sizes consistent?

with relatively new cities that developed after the mass adoption of the automobile, highway system, etc it makes sense that the cities are going to be larger

there are still cities around the metro that at one point in time were a days travel by stagecoach ..... now people commute between them ..... they've all kind of grown together though

there was also a lot of growth in the suburbs as well .... phoenix added around 125,000 ..... the west valley cities added 300,000 ... the east valley 230,000 .... maricopa county on the whole added 745,000 .... by comparison the state of PA added fewer than 500,000 people

I've lived in both and enjoy both ..... they are completely different places though

If philly wants to puff out their chests it should be on the number of top tier universities, variety of employment options including major operations for large corporations and urban environment more than faults in population forecast models that were tied to faulty home building data

Old 03-11-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
and what would you have these cities do ..... create 50 sub cities to keep sizes consistent?

with relatively new cities that developed after the mass adoption of the automobile, highway system, etc it makes sense that the cities are going to be larger

there are still cities around the metro that at one point in time were a days travel by stagecoach ..... now people commute between them ..... they've all kind of grown together though

there was also a lot of growth in the suburbs as well .... phoenix added around 125,000 ..... the west valley cities added 300,000 ... the east valley 230,000 .... maricopa county on the whole added 745,000 .... by comparison the state of PA added fewer than 500,000 people

I've lived in both and enjoy both ..... they are completely different places though

If philly wants to puff out their chests it should be on the number of top tier universities, variety of employment options including major operations for large corporations and urban environment more than faults in population forecast models that were tied to faulty home building data
Well... this thread has now officially gotten FAR too serious! But this thread is about "largest cities", as commonly measured by the municipality population. I guess there is just something about size that is intriguing to people? It's a list that people are generally interested in knowing, at least. And Philly had for a long time been 4th on that list, after only NYC, LA, and Chicago. That's how the city thought of itself. So it definitely was a double-blow to the city's ego to recently get surpassed not once but TWICE on that list in just over a decade by a couple of new sprawling sun-belt cities out of the blue, who seemed to be "changing the rules". It was insult to injury, as the city was experiencing some decline and hard times. And so, accordingly, it's nice to find out now that Philly actually hasn't fallen as far down that list as everyone had thought, and that it looks to be actually growing again.

Population measurements of municipalities certainly may be somewhat arbitrary, especially since cities are so different from each other, but they are what they are. As far as "fairly" measuring sizes, I personally think the best comparisons are MSA populations, since they're about as accurate a measure of size and 'gravity' as you can get, and are somewhat less arbitrary than city municipality boundaries, although even they leave a lot of room for interpretation. And trying to rank esoteric categories and intangibles is IMO purely the domain of researchers and/or magazines like Forbes who are looking to stir the pot and stir up sales.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,842,632 times
Yea Philly!!! Been all over and still the best area to live in..

Old 03-11-2011, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 8,683 times
Phoenix has most sports teams (even hockey), light rail, university campuses downtown yet Phoenix will never recognized as a "real" city. Appearance wise Phoenix looks like a good place to live, right? WRONG. Horrible, Horrible education (due to uneducated Mexicans requiring extensive English Learning programs), it Never rains, Hot, no sense of community and no diversity (hispanics dominate the population hardly diverse), lack of decent paying jobs, and more Wal-Marts per capita than any city could possible need. Phoenix use to attract people from all over the nation for its climate and low taxes now the city accomodates poor imigrant families, hardly a economically viable city. Hospitality, tourism and construction (low wage industries) cannot sustain the city as proven by taxes on high sales taxes. Philly is better but that's not saying much as most cities are.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM

And I think at some point, Phoenix is going to run into a buzzsaw of rising oil prices and water shortages. There's plenty of sun for hypothetical solar energy uses, but sustaining and growing a very large city in an extreme desert environment seems like a difficult long term proposal.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 PM

3,079 posts, read 2,849,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But Philly's boundaries have been unchanged since before the Civil War. Phoenix expanded it's boundaries 30x, from 17 square miles to 519 square miles just since 1950. We are allowed to be huffy.

I say we expand the borders of Philly to 519 square miles, then we can be a city of 5-6 million, and be #2!

Best idea I've heard in a long time!! That would put out of work all those useless bureaucrats in a zillion townships and boroughs in the suburbs who do nothing but collect a high salary and benefit package thanks to the outrageously high property taxes they steal every year from the hard working homeowners. It would also outrage those fools who paid ridiculous prices for a humble abode for the privilege of saying they live in a fancy suburb. Yo folks, you now live in Philly!! I could see their faces now. How would they ever explain this to guests at their next garden party?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 AM

10,011 posts, read 14,388,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Best idea I've heard in a long time!! That would put out of work all those useless bureaucrats in a zillion townships and boroughs in the suburbs who do nothing but collect a high salary and benefit package thanks to the outrageously high property taxes they steal every year from the hard working homeowners. It would also outrage those fools who paid ridiculous prices for a humble abode for the privilege of saying they live in a fancy suburb. Yo folks, you now live in Philly!! I could see their faces now. How would they ever explain this to guests at their next garden party?
it'll never happen nor is it a good idea. people pay plenty of money to live in philly. theres plenty of room for growth in the city and phills has something phoenix doesnt...water

Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,266,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
phills has something phoenix doesnt...water
I saw on the news that the big reservoir out there, I think Lake Mead, has gotten so low they had to drill a new water intake because the old one threatened to become exposed. I heard they encourage new development to not have lawns and instead use regionally appropriate landscaping (rocks and sand) but it still doesn't help that they have all those damned golf courses. I mean, I think Phoenix may have the most golf courses per capita of any major US city... which goes a long way to describing Phoenix's "urban fabric"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or