U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM

10,016 posts, read 14,411,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
I saw on the news that the big reservoir out there, I think Lake Mead, has gotten so low they had to drill a new water intake because the old one threatened to become exposed. I heard they encourage new development to not have lawns and instead use regionally appropriate landscaping (rocks and sand) but it still doesn't help that they have all those damned golf courses. I mean, I think Phoenix may have the most golf courses per capita of any major US city... which goes a long way to describing Phoenix's "urban fabric"...
having a lawn in the desert is irresponsible use of water. actually, when I was there, I rarely saw any. you may be thinking of vegas which is drilling a new intake because the level of the colorado has dropped. they have a water agreement that sets quotas for the river based on higher water levels. at some point it mat come to people's water vs growing lettuce and strawberries in ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,269,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
having a lawn in the desert is irresponsible use of water. actually, when I was there, I rarely saw any. you may be thinking of vegas which is drilling a new intake because the level of the colorado has dropped. they have a water agreement that sets quotas for the river based on higher water levels. at some point it mat come to people's water vs growing lettuce and strawberries in ca
Ah, it must have been Vegas then.

Still, putting 1.5 million people in a ecologically sensitive area like a desert is still irresponsible in its own way.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM

511 posts, read 892,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Ah, it must have been Vegas then.

Still, putting 1.5 million people in a ecologically sensitive area like a desert is still irresponsible in its own way.
Not to mention the Hoover dam (lake havasu) is quickly dropping water level and if not replenished, Vegas might run out of electricity in 15 yrs, unless they build an alternative.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 11,571 times
Ive lived in both cities and honestly phoenix is just way too dry, to the point i wish it would rain. And i do think phx tried to do too much.Everything is glamorized out here , but there is nohing to glamorize.Philly is a city Phx is an overgrown urban sprawl of suburbs with no skyline. Not to mention PHX has 3rd most forclosures,but the citys are so differnet.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:33 PM

6,108 posts, read 5,493,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That would be great if Philly could annex more land again. It could easily surpass Houston in population with just Delaware county alone.

I dont think that will happen. When you think about it though, the population density is so much greater in philly, and its metro. the philly metro covers a much smaller area than the Houston area and has about 2 million more people than the Houston metro. I think the philly metro is around number 4, if Lancaster county were added, which is a possiblity, than it would move up to number 3 only behind new york and LA.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM

22,375 posts, read 33,021,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I dont think that will happen. When you think about it though, the population density is so much greater in philly, and its metro. the philly metro covers a much smaller area than the Houston area and has about 2 million more people than the Houston metro. I think the philly metro is around number 4, if Lancaster county were added, which is a possiblity, than it would move up to number 3 only behind new york and LA.

Chicago is much larger and more developed close to the core than is Philly

Lancaster is a real strech IMHO to consider intergrated with Philly

Areas like Trento, or Hammonton NJ in Atlantic county are much more affiliated with Philly; or even Reading part of the CSA but not MSA

Houston does get to 5 million people in a relatively small footprint but then there is not much beyond for quite a distance. There are many more people closer to Philly than Housotn but the metros on size are pretty close; if you think of an expnaded metro than I wuld agree that Philly is far larger

Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM

469 posts, read 796,984 times
LOL,how could this be? If you listen to some of the people on here,Philly is going to hell in a hand bag Seriously, GO PHILLY!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:09 AM

16,220 posts, read 21,290,517 times
I grew up in a Philly that dropped below LA for 3rd. Good Show Philly, Urban Redevelopment

Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,345,249 times
Eventually, Phoenix will overtake Philadelphia again, simply because it is 520 sq mi (vs Philly's 135). If it doesn't, that will just be an embarrassment for them. On the other hand, Philly will always be much more of a city than Phoenix.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,716,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
With Philadelphia showing a population of 1,526,006 and Phoenix, AZ showing a population of 1,445,632, Philly has regained its place as the 5th largest city in the Country.
That information, together with a token, will get you a ride on the subway. Well maybe not in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or