Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 PM

342 posts, read 912,305 times

Advertisements

Moving to philly for grad, school and some other things going on!!! I grew up in baltimore city so i'm not trying to live in the burbs at all, i love the city!!!

I just need some advice on where to go in philly exactly, ive been about 5 times so far scouting out areas, i love broad street, rittenhouse square, and society hill (ungodly expensive)

i like 777 south broad but the studios were a mortgage!!

I'm looking for a studio or 1 bedroom ranging from 800-1200 a month!! I'm actually going to be in philadelphia next week visiting a few buildings so far i'm really liking

sterling apartments on kennedy boulevard

do you know anything about this building?? Is it pretty nice??
I want honest opinions because the leasing agent will make it sound like heaven!!!

My reqs are:
Good parking
on site gym
in unit laundry
dishwasher
and a doorman would be nice!!!
(not required just seems nice to always have someone from the staff around)

let me know!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Moving to philly for grad, school and some other things going on!!! I grew up in baltimore city so i'm not trying to live in the burbs at all, i love the city!!!

I just need some advice on where to go in philly exactly, ive been about 5 times so far scouting out areas, i love broad street, rittenhouse square, and society hill (ungodly expensive)

i like 777 south broad but the studios were a mortgage!!

I'm looking for a studio or 1 bedroom ranging from 800-1200 a month!! I'm actually going to be in philadelphia next week visiting a few buildings so far i'm really liking

sterling apartments on kennedy boulevard

do you know anything about this building?? Is it pretty nice??
I want honest opinions because the leasing agent will make it sound like heaven!!!

My reqs are:
Good parking
on site gym
in unit laundry
dishwasher
and a doorman would be nice!!!
(not required just seems nice to always have someone from the staff around)

let me know!!!
I lived in a studio at the Sterling about 15 years ago and I loved it. The building was built in the early '60's to lure suburbanites downtown and it was built to a lavish standard with extra wide hallways, extra large rooms and extra deep closets. The windows are wall to wall so all apartments are filled with light. The bathrooms were vintage '60's (mine was coral pink) but they were also large and comfortable. Since I moved out to buy my own place they have installed new kitchens, new windows and installed a new lobby and the impression is that of a luxury building. There was a reception desk which is like a doorman and the location is fantasticly convenient. Also the apartments are well insulated and quiet and the roof top swimming pool is super. There was an issue with the central air because it has to be turned on in the spring by the building and turned off in the fall so there are early spring days when it gets hot and there is no a/c available yet. It is actually a unit that has a fan blowing air over pipes filled with chilled water so it only lowers the tempature maybe 10 or 15 degrees. On the other hand it is free so in the summer time you just leave it on 24/7 and it is adequate most of the time. The studio is at the top of your budget and probably won't have a washer/dryer or dishwasher, mine didn't but there is a great laundry room on the 5th floor. Also the garage may give you sticker shock, parking everywhere in Center city is expensive so maybe you can leave the car at home. WWW.apartmentratings.com seem to have a lot of complaints about the current staff in this building but then you find that alot in philadelphia. Customer service in any catagory in this town leaves a lot to be desired. Ask several people the same questions and don't take anything for granted. Don't trust anyone. That's just Philly.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
i lived in a studio at the sterling about 15 years ago and i loved it. The building was built in the early '60's to lure suburbanites downtown and it was built to a lavish standard with extra wide hallways, extra large rooms and extra deep closets. The windows are wall to wall so all apartments are filled with light. The bathrooms were vintage '60's (mine was coral pink) but they were also large and comfortable. Since i moved out to buy my own place they have installed new kitchens, new windows and installed a new lobby and the impression is that of a luxury building. There was a reception desk which is like a doorman and the location is fantasticly convenient. Also the apartments are well insulated and quiet and the roof top swimming pool is super. There was an issue with the central air because it has to be turned on in the spring by the building and turned off in the fall so there are early spring days when it gets hot and there is no a/c available yet. It is actually a unit that has a fan blowing air over pipes filled with chilled water so it only lowers the tempature maybe 10 or 15 degrees. On the other hand it is free so in the summer time you just leave it on 24/7 and it is adequate most of the time. The studio is at the top of your budget and probably won't have a washer/dryer or dishwasher, mine didn't but there is a great laundry room on the 5th floor. Also the garage may give you sticker shock, parking everywhere in center city is expensive so maybe you can leave the car at home. www.apartmentratings.com seem to have a lot of complaints about the current staff in this building but then you find that alot in philadelphia. Customer service in any catagory in this town leaves a lot to be desired. Ask several people the same questions and don't take anything for granted. Don't trust anyone. That's just philly.
i check apartment ratings but i just wanted a response on this forum, it seems pretty nice, thanks for the good response!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,511 times
Are you set on an apartment building downtown?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Check out the Chocolate works in Old City - that may fit most of your criteria - cant think of many others in that price range, maybe the packard building at about Broad and Vine

If you are willing to do street parking your options may be better for the neighborhoods, like the Sprucemont on 16th and spruce in that range, but a very small gym

Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Not really!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius pontmercy View Post
are you set on an apartment building downtown?
no not necessarily any other suggestions??

Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
check out the chocolate works in old city - that may fit most of your criteria - cant think of many others in that price range, maybe the packard building at about broad and vine

if you are willing to do street parking your options may be better for the neighborhoods, like the sprucemont on 16th and spruce in that range, but a very small gym
will do!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 14,905 times
I don't know of any specific buildings, but when I was last looking (maybe a month ago) there were a few places in Chinatown that had what you're looking for, and for reasonable prices. I'd suggest taking a look in that area.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
no not necessarily any other suggestions??
Go for a rowhouse or an apartment in one. These are generally cheaper than new construction. Just look around those neighborhoods you were interested in before for other apartments.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Anybody know anything about korman chalets
and penn wynn house

are they nice??? They look outdated on the outside with new interiors!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia