Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
west chester, Phoenixville, wayne are pretty far from broad and Chestnut(as a starting point) and I would not call them suburbs of Philly. Phoenixville is 31 miles and West chester is 36 miles. Wayne is 20 miles.. If you want to include those you may as well include medford lakes and as far as Hammonton Nj!
wayne is most certainly a suburb of philadelphia...it's also 20 mi by, not 20 miles by train...maybe 13 mi. certainly not very far. 30-35 min ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,495,621 times
Quote:
west chester, Phoenixville, wayne are pretty far from broad and Chestnut(as a starting point) and I would not call them suburbs of Philly. Phoenixville is 31 miles and West chester is 36 miles. Wayne is 20 miles.. If you want to include those you may as well include medford lakes and as far as Hammonton Nj!
West Chester, Phoenixville and Wayne are most definitely suburbs (especially Wayne, since it's right on the Paoli/Thorndale commuter rail line). Phoenixville and West Chester may be a little farther out, but they're absolutely within the Philly urban area and therefore within reasonable commuting distance to the city.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,554,403 times
I've never had a problem in my neighborhood. In fact I find the people here to be some of the nicest I've ever met.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM

59 posts, read 168,714 times
My husband and I recently moved to Main Line from central Massachusetts (50 miles west of Boston and 25 miles north of Worcester). I went to college and grad school in Boston, so I'm used to horrible and aggressive drivers while navigating complicated streetscapes. HOWEVER, I've found the drivers here, both in the city, and the suburbs (I drive about 70 miles per day through Monto, delco, and chester co) are SO RUDE and OBNOXIOUS and AGGRESSIVE. They will literally run you off the road. If you have your blinker on to move over and you have some space to change lanes, they will speed up to prevent you from changing lanes. I blaim this dangerous driving on the poor transportation infrastructure which leads to horrible traffic. People will take their and your lives in their hands if it means they will cut 2 minutes off their commute. And I don't drive slow. I always drive over the posted speed limit (which I always find to be much higher than it should be).

Needless to say, that is the only thing I find negative about the people of Philly and the burbs. Once you actually have face-to-face contact, there is not much snobbery (I also lived in Upper East Side of Manhattan for part of college). You may want to consider the suburbs with access to a SEPTA regional rail if you plan on going into the city often. It's relatively "cheap" for a commuter rail system. You will find beautiful farm land in many suburbs pretty close to the city with access to good shopping, schools, and health care.

Have you considered Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte? Definitely not the same as any of the cities you listed, but super nice people and very little traffic. Might be worth a shot.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
charlotte isnt a city its a large town...not that theres anything wrong with that.
aggressive driving definitely has to do with traffic.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 PM

518 posts, read 1,048,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivjo View Post

Have you considered Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte? Definitely not the same as any of the cities you listed, but super nice people and very little traffic. Might be worth a shot.
I used to ***** about the traffic in Raleigh/Durham, but its nothing like here. The roads are better and FREE. The drivers are awful though. Never see so many accidents like you do there. I think Charlotte has more bottlenecks, but feels more like a big city than RDU.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
West Chester, Phoenixville and Wayne are most definitely suburbs (especially Wayne, since it's right on the Paoli/Thorndale commuter rail line). Phoenixville and West Chester may be a little farther out, but they're absolutely within the Philly urban area and therefore within reasonable commuting distance to the city.
if you think a 72 mile round trip during rush hour commute is a close commute God bless you.. West chester to CC is indeed that amount

Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 AM

8,975 posts, read 21,061,280 times
Quote:
Although anecdotally speaking, some people in Chester County (e.g. West Chester) may consider themselves removed from the city, all of the PA cities you mentioned are indeed Philly suburbs from which more than a few people are willing to commute. The difference on the other side of the river may include less frequent train service.

To the OP, I always say here that Philly and New York share a similar "attytood" although Philly's is less intense. I also agree that outside the city, said "attytood" is largely non-existent.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Although anecdotally speaking, some people in Chester County (e.g. West Chester) may consider themselves removed from the city, all of the PA cities you mentioned are indeed Philly suburbs from which more than a few people are willing to commute. The difference on the other side of the river may include less frequent train service.

To the OP, I always say here that Philly and New York share a similar "attytood" although Philly's is less intense. I also agree that outside the city, said "attytood" is largely non-existent.

yea maybe tone but I was thinking of commuting by car...

Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times
It's pretty hard to argue that any town on the Main Line (eg: Wayne) isn't a Philly suburb, since that's precisely what the Main Line was built as - suburban retreats for wealthy Philadelphia families in the 19th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia