Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:11 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,944 times

Advertisements

KidPhilly, you can have only 12 very tall towers and some midrises with a bunch of parking surface and have a population of 45,000. I don't consider it fully developed.

Fully Developed and packed Downtowns:

1. SF
2. NY
3. Boston
4. Portland
5. Washington DC
6. Seattle
7. Boulder
8. Pittsburgh
9. Chicago
10.San Jose

Work in Progress Downtowns(emerging)

1. Denver
2. San Diego
3. Minneapolis
4. Philadelphia
5. Baltimore
6. Cleveland
7. Miami
8. Austin
9. Los Angeles
10.San Antonio

Dead and Lost Cause Downtowns

1. Phoenix
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Jacksonville
5. Cincinnati
6. Houston
7. Detroit
8. Sacramento
9. St Louis
10.Birmingham

Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
this is getting silly.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
this is getting silly.
getting? hard to believe anyone takes this dolt seriously enough it's still going on. yeah, pittsburgh and san jose have a better downtown? he's probably never even been to philly, or not in 20 years. cc is easily number 3 or 4 on the fully developed at worst on his stupid little list.
as if any downtown isn't still developing. a good downtown is always changing

Last edited by pman; 04-09-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
getting? hard to believe anyone takes this dolt seriously enough it's still going on. yeah, pittsburgh and san jose have a better downtown? he's probably never even been to philly, or not in 20 years. cc is easily number 3 or 4 on the3 fully developed at worst on his stupid little list.
I like the part about knocking Philly's downtown because you see homeless people there...but then going on to rank SF as #1, when (although of course it's a great city) SF is called the homelessness capital of the USA. .
Nice troll, durf.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I like the part about knocking Philly's downtown because you see homeless people there...but then going on to rank SF as #1, when (although of course it's a great city) SF is called the homelessness capital of the USA. .
Nice troll, durf.
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his info from forbes lists. I don't hate pittsburgh's downtown but it's clearly a work in progress. I think it's a testament to center city that despite being "developing" it's still a top downtown. of course, chicago's downtown and seattle are clearly also developing. I'd also point out that chicago has fewer people living downtown than philly. of course, he's got boulder on there above chicago which should be a clue. boulder belongs on a list with state college NOT philly and chicago

Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Pman, I was in Center City last month. I went to Philly on a business trip. I had over an hour to walk the downtown area around noon. I also was there last summer. I ripped Philly because I was disappointed with its downtown with surface lots and vacant lots in the middle of downtown. I also didn't like crappy area by E. Market St. Galleria and seeing a struggling smaller Galleria shops by Liberty towers. I saw some abandoned buildings, too. I couldn't find a decent movie theater, other than small arts film, and its Borders is closing. What kind of downtown is that? For all my urban pleasure, I'm forced to go to the waterfront, South St. and or S. Philly. The Rittenhouse Sq. is just too small area of a decent urban center for me. It's too hit and miss. It's sad because I like the city of Philadelphia and was a fan of Rocky movie. I like the Museum of Arts, where I can walk upstairs and feel good. The old city is a work in progress.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
durf, You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't get why you would come onto this forum and basically tell everyone why their city is not to your liking and then act surprised that they don't agree with your opinion. Perhaps one of our posters should have taken you on a tour so you would have been better educated.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-09-2011 at 06:11 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Pman, I was in Center City last month. I went to Philly on a business trip. I had over an hour to walk the downtown area around noon. I also was there last summer. I ripped Philly because I was disappointed with its downtown with surface lots and vacant lots in the middle of downtown. I also didn't like crappy area by E. Market St. Galleria and seeing a struggling smaller Galleria shops by Liberty towers. I saw some abandoned buildings, too. I couldn't find a decent movie theater, other than small arts film, and its Borders is closing. What kind of downtown is that? For all my urban pleasure, I'm forced to go to the waterfront, South St. and or S. Philly. The Rittenhouse Sq. is just too small area of a decent urban center for me. It's too hit and miss. It's sad because I like the city of Philadelphia and was a fan of Rocky movie. I like the Museum of Arts, where I can walk upstairs and feel good. The old city is a work in progress.
since when does in bankruptcy borders not being able to afford real estate in center city mean its downtown is struggling? you are very confused. you had an hour? certainly makes you an expert. all good cities are a work in progress and despite surface lots and a few buildings with vacant upstairs (and really those exist in most of the towns are your lists). the fact is you don't know what your talking about. no one with a proper love of real downtowns is going to put boulder on the list with those other places, including philly. sure, market east could be better but rittenhouse, washington sq, and logan sq are all fine areas. center city is certainly more full than most other downtowns not in san fran or ny. I'm also not sure that the absence of a first run movie theater means much. movie theaters don't make money .

Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 PM

25 posts, read 151,459 times
Center City Philly...constituting the "neck" of phila., compact area...proximity to university city [drexel, u. penn], in west philly, and bordering north philly and south philly, the schuylkill and delaware rivers...right, used to have the movie theatres on 19th and chestnut St., 15th st., and walnut st...the Roxy I think was that movie theatre..

Old 04-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Pman, please visit Boulder before mention anything about this city. This city's downtown really destroys an awful lot of big cities downtowns and much more lively than those, including your Philly's downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia