Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 AM

7 posts, read 16,744 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a safe neighborhood in Philadelphia for a couple of months. I've read all these threads:
Help finding a nice place to live near SEPTA
I Need Help Finding A Nice Spot To Live In Philadelphia!!!
place to live, Philadelphia Forum
Need help finding a place to live
Looking for a new place to live

I’m living in an area where kids and grown-up adults hit Asians for fun or for money. I myself got punched in the face by 12-to-15-yo kids. Last year, a dozen of kids threw things that hit my head, they were having fun! I’m a 44-yo 5’7 Asian male, non-violent…

These are my questions:
1- Has anyone heard of “Punch Asians For Fun” game or trend in Philadelphia? I experienced it twice so there’s a pattern out there.
2- Is this a reliable source to find safe places in Philadelphia.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Thanks for any input

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2011 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,198 times
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences.

Are you limiting your search only to Philadelphia?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Philw I sent you a private message.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
there are definitely some issues in philly between blacks and asians...specifically american blacks

Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Thanks templeu, bryson662001 and pman for your inputs, it helps to get some understanding from people who know about these things.

templeu asked “I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. Are you limiting your search only to Philadelphia?”
No, I’ve been considering NYC or Washington D.C or South New Jersey like Cherry Hill, Morristown… Buy job is a big issue in this economy even though unemployment rate is down to 8.8% I cannot afford 100% safety. Thanks for asking.

bryson662001
Thanks for your messages.

J..
Thanks for your messsage. I’ll reply after this.

pman
Yes, unfortunately, it’s so ironic, I’m a huge fan of Billy Holliday (Strange Fruits, Yesterday...), John Coltrane, Eddy Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg… If these kids knew whom they punched in the face, they’d be so sorry!
I do not know what Asians did to AAs in Philadelphia, I’m a lawful newcomer on America’s Soil, still trying to understand how things work, but nothing good will come out of this ethnic clash. I won’t do anything to make things worse, we’ve got to find a common ground to calm down both communities.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philw View Post

I’ve been considering NYC or Washington D.C or South New Jersey like Cherry Hill, Morristown… Buy job is a big issue in this economy even though unemployment rate is down to 8.8% I cannot afford 100% safety. Thanks for asking.
Yes, I was thinking perhaps the suburbs of Phila might be a good option to look at; and S. New Jersey (e.g., Collingswood or Cherry Hill) in particular given the commute into Philly (if that's where you work) wouldn't be bad.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Yes, I was thinking perhaps the suburbs of Phila might be a good option to look at; and S. New Jersey (e.g., Collingswood or Cherry Hill) in particular given the commute into Philly (if that's where you work) wouldn't be bad.
Yes, i work in Philly. Yep, Collingswood, Cherry Hill.
Thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
i dont think its everywhere...certain parts of the city seem to have problems with it. its not dangerous to be asian in most neighborhoods ive been in. are you in south philly west of broad?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
i dont think its everywhere...certain parts of the city seem to have problems with it. its not dangerous to be asian in most neighborhoods ive been in. are you in south philly west of broad?
No, i'm in North Philly. It's not safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
High crime =/= Rampant crime.

Look at this map from 2007 and you'll see how there's a CLEAR difference in violence from neighborhood to neighborhood. To give the most drastic example of this crime disparity, the violent crime rate in Center City is 3/10,000 residents (on par with many suburbs), whereas one neighborhood in North Philadelphia is as high as 25/10,000 residents. "Rampant" implies that it's randomly distributed throughout the city, when that's factually not the case:

Violent-Crime Rates in 2007 | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/01/2008

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philw View Post
No, i'm in North Philly. It's not safe.
LOL....it's not safe for us either! Get out of there! I told you where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia