Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 PM

19 posts, read 53,198 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are moving to the Philly area in a month or two from Austin Tx. I have previously lived in Bucks county but only for about a year.We are both originally from New England. I am pretty familiar with the northern suburbs but havent been west or south much at all.

We are hoping to find a house to rent on water. We would prefer a lake but a river would be ok too. We need to be within an hour of Philly and Poconos is a little too far.

What would be a good area to look in? Our budget is about $1500 monthly maximum.

We want a very safe area and would prefer to be somewhat secluded yet still near a decent grocery store and not too far out in the woods.

Is collegeville nice? I have found a house for rent there that looks good in pictures but I dont know anything about the area.

Any suggestions or help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 02:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Collegeville is a nice area though has become much more developed recently. A little further is Green Lane with the lake furthur up in Montgomery County. Also Lake Galena in Chalfont in Bucks county may also have some things. the difficulty will be finding a rental on or close to the lakes.

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-18-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 PM

183 posts, read 631,961 times
Check out Yardley. You should be able to score something in your price range close to river, canal, and lakes. Lots of water around here. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM

I used to live in Yardley and havent been able to find anything around there.

The only water I knew of in the area was the canal and I'm looking for something a little more recreational.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Medford Lakes in New Jersey has waterfront houses on lakes, many of them quite modest, with great swimming and boating. Don't know how rentals work since it is a summer resort. The zip (for www.realtor.com ) is 08055. The community has an American indian theme and many of the houses are actually log houses. Actual lake front is going to be expensive. Here is a listing for sale.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5_M54434-32254

I don't know of any other community like this anywhere in the metro although there is plenty of riverfront up and down the delaware on both sides.

Last edited by bryson662001; 04-19-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Medford looks awfully nice. Havent been able to find anything that fits our needs over there yet though. We are feeling pretty good about Collegeville at this point too.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotawudder View Post
Medford looks awfully nice. Havent been able to find anything that fits our needs over there yet though. We are feeling pretty good about Collegeville at this point too.
You know Medford lakes is a seperate little community from Medford, which is a newer developed upscale area, lots of McMansions but no lakes. Medford Lakes was once a summer resort that is very old and was eventually swallowed up by suburbia.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotawudder View Post
Hi,

We want a very safe area and would prefer to be somewhat secluded yet still near a decent grocery store and not too far out in the woods.
Guess what? Another million people look for the same thing, and suddenly, if everyone did that and moved to such a "secluded" area, we will run out of such places.

You're moving from a city (Austin), so why not live closer to the city, and leave the "secluded woods" for fauna and flora.

The want for suburban life breeds more suburbs, which end up ruining the very place that attracted you to it in the first place. Better to leave it as untouched as possible.

I know, those 999,999 people might still go for it, but it takes 1 person making the right decision, to start changing our living environment.

sorry for the soap box moment.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You know Medford lakes is a seperate little community from Medford, which is a newer developed upscale area, lots of McMansions but no lakes. Medford Lakes was once a summer resort that is very old and was eventually swallowed up by suburbia.
make me feel ill reading things like this.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:58 PM

27 posts, read 49,768 times
Blue marsh Dam has a sprawling lake area just north of Reading on rte. 183
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia