Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:11 AM

8 posts, read 17,009 times

Advertisements

After so many mentions we are definitely going to take a drive around Wyndmoor. How is the school system? The reason I haven't considered any type of public transportation is my hours, I'm at work by 4:30am, so not only do I avoid most traffic anyway, but I don't think the trains are running yet. She works for Merck at West Point, and as far as we know no trains can take her close enough. Today she's going to drive from work to Wynnewood, and I'll meet her, so we'll check out drive times and look over the neighborhood again.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
i don't know why anyone would want to live in narberth or anywhere else in Delco if they were going to have to take horribly congested roads (30, 476, 76) to Lansdale every day. i've got to think you'd be looking at an hour commute. what about southern Montco near the Ft Washington expressway - places like Glenside, Jenkintown, and Wyndmoor?

Media to Landsdale in the heat of rush hour would take 45 minutes at the max, unless there is some sort of disaster on the blue route (476).

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtycho View Post
After so many mentions we are definitely going to take a drive around Wyndmoor. How is the school system? The reason I haven't considered any type of public transportation is my hours, I'm at work by 4:30am, so not only do I avoid most traffic anyway, but I don't think the trains are running yet. She works for Merck at West Point, and as far as we know no trains can take her close enough. Today she's going to drive from work to Wynnewood, and I'll meet her, so we'll check out drive times and look over the neighborhood again.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Yeah - The train doesn't start until closer to 6. But you're right, you won't be hitting traffic at that time. I often drove into work and left at 6:30 and would arrive within 25 minutes. During rush hour it wasn't a fun drive though.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Media to Landsdale in the heat of rush hour would take 45 minutes at the max, unless there is some sort of disaster on the blue route (476).
According to google, media to lansdale is 32.7 miles and takes 40 mintues with no traffic. I don't commute on 476 so i don't personally know what traffic is like, but i've heard a lot of people complain about it so i would have thought it would be more than 5 minutes worth.

Regardless, if you're doing that commute 300 days a year, you're talking about 20,000 miles a year on your car. so again, i'm sure media is nice and everything, but i don't know why anyone would go into that situation when there are plenty of good alternatives that are closer to both center city and lansdale. wyndmoor, for example, is only 14 miles from lansdale and most of that is on 309 which has no traffic.

To answer the question above, Wyndmoor is in the Springfield school district which, like virtually every other district in Montgomery County, is very good.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
According to google, media to lansdale is 32.7 miles and takes 40 mintues with no traffic. I don't commute on 476 so i don't personally know what traffic is like, but i've heard a lot of people complain about it so i would have thought it would be more than 5 minutes worth.

Regardless, if you're doing that commute 300 days a year, you're talking about 20,000 miles a year on your car. so again, i'm sure media is nice and everything, but i don't know why anyone would go into that situation when there are plenty of good alternatives that are closer to both center city and lansdale. wyndmoor, for example, is only 14 miles from lansdale and most of that is on 309 which has no traffic.

To answer the question above, Wyndmoor is in the Springfield school district which, like virtually every other district in Montgomery County, is very good.
not that it matters but how did you get 20k miles on your car per year traveling to work? I got 13k.. 240 work days - vacation days = about 220 day of work a year.. Am I missing something?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
not that it matters but how did you get 20k miles on your car per year traveling to work? I got 13k.. 240 work days - vacation days = about 220 day of work a year.. Am I missing something?
I think s/he was calculating roughly 66 miles round trip X 300 days / year, which works out to be about 20,000 miles a year (assuming one works 300 days).

Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:

Wyndmoor is another great option, but i was suggesting delco because of its close proximity to philly, especially for the train but one of them has to be in work too early for the train.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
I would still go with the Main Line, Narberth or Wayne. Phoenixville and Doylestown are worth looks as well...

Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Doylestown is great and is pretty close to Lansdale but commute to CC would be brutal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia