Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Drexel is fine (minus the outrageous pricetag), I just dont understand how you can mention Drexel without mentioning Temple...

Well my apologies, i was going to mention temple, but i just wanted to keep the list short, but temple is a great school as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusier311 View Post
Philly's not New York City which is known for its residents being rude, starting arguments over stupid things on the streets, acting way to tough, In Manhattan its common to see fights with cab drivers, fights over subway seats, fights over people bumping into each other walking down the streets since NYC is so crowded and people alot of times are shoulder to shoulder, fights over somebody cutting you off trying to get into the Holland Tunnel etc. Philly has its rudeness like Northeast cities but its pretty tame compered to NYC. I have been to Center City plenty of times and its the most laid back city in the Northeast almost a Southern laid back type of a feel. People say Hi on the streets, act more civil like decent human beings, let you pass and get infront of them when your driving which is a god send to a New Yorker. the "City of Brotherly Love" is pretty civil and the best nicest attitude of any place in the Northeast. NYC, North Jersey, Boston, D.C. all faster paced cities, where the people are right in your face, bad ass attitude. New York City is the worse and its not even close. I which people around me acted like people form Philly. Attitude wise Philadelphia is a great place.

Again welcome to the northeast, and i agree but philly is a different kind of rude, its not even rude people in philly are just real, whether they are nice or mean they are real.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Philly is not that bad crime wise like people from philly always try to say!

Philly was ranked 30 in most dangerous cities in Amercia in 2010
Newark NJ was number 23
Camden NJ was number 2
Detroit MI was number 3
St. Louis was number 1
Irvington NJ usally has a higher crimerate then Newark but its so small it dosen't get counted in the "Most Dangerous Cities in America" you have to have over 70,000 residents to be included but Irvington NJ has less people then that living in it.

Philly has its bad and good parts like any other city. Center City is the cleanest nicest downtown of any city I have ever seen. its so clean it looks like you can eat of the streets. Has anybody been to the Newark NJ downtown area its a joke. I don't know how you can even call it a downtown. Camden NJ I don't really need to say anything their. I think people from philly get their city mixed up with Camden NJ even though its alot smaller its about 100 times worse then philly! If we are talking metropolitian cities (big cities) Detroit makes Philly look like Beverly Hills.

I agree that philly is a wonderful city and area, but i wouldnt go as far as saying you can eat off the streets lol.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
Depends where you want to live.

I think Philly is a strange city in some ways, in that most of center city is as good (or in a lot of cases far better) than most other US cities.
It is beautiful, has fantastic neighborhoods, tons of stuff to do, is walkable and when I walk around Center City on a lovely spring day I often think that there are very few places I would rather live.

However there are also neighborhoods which are downright scary. A lot of the negativity you see on here about Philly comes from people who live in neighborhoods I avoid like the plague. Then they talk about Philly as though it was all like their crappy 'hood. It's infuriating.

I think the Philadelphia experience varies dramatically depending on where you live. I would take something twice the price and half the space and live in Center City here. The good news is that compared to other cities in the North East, twice the price and half the space to bein CC is still a total bargain! It's not cheap, but cities aren't. It is however MUCH cheaper than NYC, Boston and DC and IMHO just as nice (although clearly incomparable to NYC thank goodness. NYC is too much for me!)

Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Depends where you want to live.

I think Philly is a strange city in some ways, in that most of center city is as good (or in a lot of cases far better) than most other US cities.
It is beautiful, has fantastic neighborhoods, tons of stuff to do, is walkable and when I walk around Center City on a lovely spring day I often think that there are very few places I would rather live.

However there are also neighborhoods which are downright scary. A lot of the negativity you see on here about Philly comes from people who live in neighborhoods I avoid like the plague. Then they talk about Philly as though it was all like their crappy 'hood. It's infuriating.

I think the Philadelphia experience varies dramatically depending on where you live. I would take something twice the price and half the space and live in Center City here. The good news is that compared to other cities in the North East, twice the price and half the space to bein CC is still a total bargain! It's not cheap, but cities aren't. It is however MUCH cheaper than NYC, Boston and DC and IMHO just as nice (although clearly incomparable to NYC thank goodness. NYC is too much for me!)

I agree there, many people think the city is blighted area, but that is pretty far from the truth.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
Pretty much like any other large city, except that Philly has a lot more good areas than most and the good areas are much better than what most other cities have to offer.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:12 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Again welcome to the northeast, and i agree but philly is a different kind of rude, its not even rude people in philly are just real, whether they are nice or mean they are real.
Best said by Judge Judy who said "People on the west coast think that when the Police Officer is done giving you a ticket he should hug you and tell you getting a ticket doesn't make you a bad person. Doesn't happen here" paraphrased

Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Best said by Judge Judy who said "People on the west coast think that when the Police Officer is done giving you a ticket he should hug you and tell you getting a ticket doesn't make you a bad person. Doesn't happen here" paraphrased

Awile back I saw this little interaction which is mostly innocuous but somehow stuck with me( some of this is paraphrased at this point to the best of recollection); a cop in CC was directing traffic. He had traffic stopped and signaled a lady (Who was dressed in a business suit and briefcase) to cross the street. She didnt go, he yelled "hey Lady lets go" to a prompt response from her saying "who said I wanted help". To which he said "who said I wanted to help you" and "Just move it and get accross the street". As she crossed she said something like "next time I will cross at the next block" and the cop said "have a nice day" while shaking his head at me and client from the West Coast. The Client just kinda laughed and said something to the effect of gotta love the East Coast.

I honestly wasnt sure what to say and mostly chuckled a bit but i chalk it up to her having a bad day more than anything. But still I do find that people in Philly to me are less aggressive than they are ornery. Maybe it is real but at times it does appear to a human dance and when viewed in the right light can be at least little bit entertaining.

I do enjoy the dance but I do find most remove the facades fairly quickly when you actually get them in a more initmate setting. I also find this mostly in Boston and NYC whereas i did not genrally feel the same when I lived in DC; or at least as common though met many warm people and still have many great friends from the area.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Awile back I saw this little interaction which is mostly innocuous but somehow stuck with me( some of this is paraphrased at this point to the best of recollection); a cop in CC was directing traffic. He had traffic stopped and signaled a lady (Who was dressed in a business suit and briefcase) to cross the street. She didnt go, he yelled "hey Lady lets go" to a prompt response from her saying "who said I wanted help". To which he said "who said I wanted to help you" and "Just move it and get accross the street". As she crossed she said something like "next time I will cross at the next block" and the cop said "have a nice day" while shaking his head at me and client from the West Coast. The Client just kinda laughed and said something to the effect of gotta love the East Coast.

I honestly wasnt sure what to say and mostly chuckled a bit but i chalk it up to her having a bad day more than anything. But still I do find that people in Philly to me are less aggressive than they are ornery. Maybe it is real but at times it does appear to a human dance and when viewed in the right light can be at least little bit entertaining.

I do enjoy the dance but I do find most remove the facades fairly quickly when you actually get them in a more initmate setting. I also find this mostly in Boston and NYC whereas i did not genrally feel the same when I lived in DC; or at least as common though met many warm people and still have many great friends from the area.
Born and raised in North Philly and I was a Policeman there, I then went to California and finished up my career there. I got a kick out of the fact that whenever I tried to be a little assertive Californians looked at me as if i were going to assault them.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Philly is not that bad crime wise like people from philly always try to say!

Philly was ranked 30 in most dangerous cities in Amercia in 2010
Newark NJ was number 23
Camden NJ was number 2
Detroit MI was number 3
St. Louis was number 1
Irvington NJ usally has a higher crimerate then Newark but its so small it dosen't get counted in the "Most Dangerous Cities in America" you have to have over 70,000 residents to be included but Irvington NJ has less people then that living in it.

Philly has its bad and good parts like any other city. Center City is the cleanest nicest downtown of any city I have ever seen. its so clean it looks like you can eat of the streets. Has anybody been to the Newark NJ downtown area its a joke. I don't know how you can even call it a downtown. Camden NJ I don't really need to say anything their. I think people from philly get their city mixed up with Camden NJ even though its alot smaller its about 100 times worse then philly! If we are talking metropolitian cities (big cities) Detroit makes Philly look like Beverly Hills.
Whats wrong with Downtown Newark or Newark itself. Crime is limited to the West & South wards to a lesser extent. Stop City bashing , it never works....and you don't know what your talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia