Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 38,868 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've been lurking and reading threads on here as much as possible, but it was time to register and make my "where to live?" post

Here's my story (and then I will answer the questions below). I'm from NJ, went to Temple University - lived on campus for two years, lived in West Philly (48th & Pine) for a year, and East Falls for about two. After graduation, I got a job in the burbs (Horsham) and moved out there 6 months later (first to Warrington and presently in Willow Grove).
Now I want to move back to the city I got a job near Center City (actually in the Cira Centre) and while the commute isn't terrible, the long-term plan has been to move back to the city. And I'm 27 now.

I've looked at condos in Center City, houses in East Falls and Fairmount area. I've liked most of what I've seen, but there's always something (no garage/parking, no outdoor area like a balcony or patio, potentially unsafe area (Francisville?), etc). So I'm asking the community for ideas for places I haven't looked (South Philly?) or any other feedback/input that might be helfpul since this will also be my first home purchase.

When are you moving?
In the next few months preferably. My lease is up at the end of June, but I can go month-to-month if necessary (just realized how close that date is, so I probably will have to go month-to-month for a bit).

Where are you coming from?
Willow Grove right now, but originally from NJ (Monmouth County)

Why are you moving?
I miss the city, looking for more to do and the city life

Where will you be working?
I am working in the Cira Centre

Have you been here yet?
Haha yes

Will you buy or rent?
Most likely buying, but I could rent if the place/price is right. Either way the budget is about $1500/month.

Buying - house or condo? House preferred, but condo acceptable.
Renting - apartment, townhouse or loft? I guess townhouse preferred and apartment acceptable. Not too thrilled about lofts.

I just want to throw a note in here, I've been looking for something at least 1000 sq ft (can go a little under if the place is right) and it seems that I can get more bang for my buck ($/sqft) by buying instead of renting.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Walk up preferred, hi-rise ok

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single. No children.

Do you prefer public or private schools?
Doesn't matter right now

Do you have pets?
Yes, 1 cat

Do you want or need a yard?
Would prefer a yard or a balcony or a patio - just want some outdoor space.

Are you keeping a car?
Yes - would like a garage or reserved parking. Not thrilled about street parking

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
I can take a little bustling, but prefer more calm and quiet I think.

What do you want to be closest to?
Public transportation and/or work (since I work right next to 30th Street)
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) would be nice, but if I have my car a little drive to these are fine.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Either is fine, but living around other young people would be good (I'm 27).

Coke or Pepsi?
Coke Zero (Cherry or Vanilla)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 AM

40 posts, read 98,981 times
I would check out Passyunk Square in South Philly and also look in Fishtown/Northern Liberties. Both are still affordable for your budget and are close to public transportation for an easy commute to Cira Center. I sent you a DM

Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM

10 posts, read 38,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max America View Post
I would check out Passyunk Square in South Philly and also look in Fishtown/Northern Liberties. Both are still affordable for your budget and are close to public transportation for an easy commute to Cira Center. I sent you a DM
Thanks! I've looked a little in South Philly, but I don't think I looked in Passyunk Square. I haven't really looked at my much in NoLibs because I'm not familiar with the area but I'll check out what's out there. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: