Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 22,780 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I'm a semi-new philly resident and I moved to South Philly. I'm near Broad/Snyder so deeper South Philly. I was just wondering if you guys have any tips on nice places to jog that are near my area? Or do you guys who live near me take the subway to jog in Center City?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
FDR Park is a pretty good spot for a long jog. Just head down Broad and make a right on Pattison and the entrance to the park is on the left side of the street.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSanity View Post
Hey there, I'm a semi-new philly resident and I moved to South Philly. I'm near Broad/Snyder so deeper South Philly. I was just wondering if you guys have any tips on nice places to jog that are near my area? Or do you guys who live near me take the subway to jog in Center City?

Thanks in advance!
nah i would never take the subway to go jog somewhere else. nothing beats being able to jog in your own neighborhood.

by nice places to jog i'm guessing you don't want a monotinous jog through a continuous cavern of south philly row homes?

i used to live in the area except i was a little further south so I could get to FDR park fairly easily. FDR park is about a mile or so from broad and snyder, due south on the west side of broad. fairly nice park, has a lake, has a jogging trail. pretty huge. i always preferred running in parks as opposed to the streets.

There's also marconi plaza at broad and oregon... though it's not nearly as big as fdr park it's a pretty huge swatch of park land on either side of broad on oregon. it'd probably serve as good place to stretch after an initial warm up run down to it.

you could also head up passyunk to the italian market and get your rocky on.

what exactly are you looking for? a run that provides interesting scenery? a run that is safe?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSanity View Post

Thanks in advance!
I'm guessing you want a route that isn't too full of stops and starts and one where you don't have to dodge pedestrians, double parked cars, and loading trucks in the middle of the street. If that's the case, your best bet is to jog to the closest main street (sounds like Snyder) and head East toward the river. You can take it all the way down to Del Ave and have a traffic-free experience bc there are sidewalks, or run around Front and 2 streets South of Snyder which is an old industrial area now mainly empty. Both options should be safe enough in the daylight. I almost exclusively run on Del Ave since it's easy and no traffic concerns, but I'm also a good mile North and East of you so it's easier for me. I suggest you drive or bike along those routes (clock the mileage if you're in a car) and see what works for you in terms of direction and distance.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:19 PM

219 posts, read 674,681 times
Good to hear others are jogging in South Philly too! I'm a regular jogger and I pretty much have stuck to two triangular routes, which I've mapped on this google maps:

South Philly Running Routes - Google Maps

The Western Run, if you start at Broad and Snyder, takes you down West Passyunk, which is a solid commercial corridor without too much of the glitz and glamor of East Passyunk, then south through Girard Park and the lovely, affluent Girard Estates, into the super tight-knit, super Italian neighborhoods around Oregon, through Marconi, and then up 13th through the rapidly gentrifying East Passyunk neighborhood, and then down quiet Juniper in the same neighborhood. At no point will you be anywhere near a bad neighborhood, and it's quite scenic too.

The Eastern Run, also starting at Broad and Snyder, takes you through the super-dense and also super-Italian Lower Moyensing neighborhood, and then continues eastwards until you get to Pennsport, when you run up Moyamensing Ave in this blue-collar but also gentrifying Irish enclave, and then south via the glory of Passyunk Ave. These neighborhood are also all safe, although you are not too far from a dodgy neighborhood to the North between about 9th and 5th and Porter.

I picked all these routes for their safety, their streetscape scenic-ness, and the parks you get to run to, and I hope you, too, will enjoy them!

Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
good luck w/ all that

treadmill for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia