Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times

Advertisements

These things may be widespread, but I think they are worse in Philadelphia than in at least some other places. People who have spent no, or minimal, time in Philadelphia may be getting their negative impressions from the national media, but my own negative impressions were based on living in Philadelphia for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
That ghetto attitude is here in Scranton as well, i can't stand it either

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Like others have said, it's not specific to Philadelphia or even that bad here.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say I notice less here than in other places I've lived.

I also wouldn't personally be surprised (although I'm not saying it's the way thing is - I have limited experience in Bucks County) if Bucks County had more people spitting and staring and driving loud cars in an attempt to appear to be a thug. That's the way it was in Berks County anyway. There was actually just a thread about that in the PA forum - people complaining about thuggish behavior in Reading.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:33 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
These things may be widespread, but I think they are worse in Philadelphia than in at least some other places. People who have spent no, or minimal, time in Philadelphia may be getting their negative impressions from the national media, but my own negative impressions were based on living in Philadelphia for many years.
Agree.
I lived in Philly (city not burbs) for over 30 years, am a big booster, and plan to move back at some point, but this is a thing about Philly you kind of have to accept and/or deal with. We could get into speculating about some historical reasons for this stuff, but really, what's the point? Hey...it's character building! (for better and for worse haha)
The city's positives outweigh the negatives though, imo.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM

134 posts, read 475,016 times
Honestly I would love to get into the history of it. I find things like that fascinating. If you would care to elaborate I would be interested in what you had to say on the subject.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Agree.
I lived in Philly (city not burbs) for over 30 years, am a big booster, and plan to move back at some point, but this is a thing about Philly you kind of have to accept and/or deal with. We could get into speculating about some historical reasons for this stuff, but really, what's the point? Hey...it's character building! (for better and for worse haha)
The city's positives outweigh the negatives though, imo.
It's alot of things, but character building it is not. Just today, at a local Wawa some construction contractor type is standing beside the line looking for a way to "Get In". Naturally, instead of trying to butt in on the two large beefcake guys in front of me, he decideds he'll barrel right in front of me (the glasses wearing dork). So Brave. And to top it all off, he continually takes his sweet ass time actually getting to the front.

I know someone is going to pipe up and say "Stop being a Pu##y and do something". Like what? Get decked out or better yet have him wave his CCW piece in my face. Not for a $1.69 cup of coffee. And for the next reply of "You're just jealous/have a problem with "real men"", Some of the guys I've gotten along most with were military. One teacher in tech school in particular was a Ranger. It doesn't get more man than that.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM

443 posts, read 600,341 times
No People, this is not just every city, this is really a South Eastern, PA thing. I'm from Pittsburgh, lived on the main line outside of Philly, did the west for my mid 20s, came home to Pittsburgh, and now in Reading. Trust me, you can tell the, "yo, I'm hard brah" mentality. People stare at you trying to look like they are tough, kids driving around like their bad. Pittsburgh had it's "hard" areas, but the area as a whole was much more laid back. Most of these kids are just obnoxious. There seems to be a ton of meat heads in Eastern, PA. Dudes that need to prove themselves by building muscle at the gym all day. It's lame, read a book.

But all in all, this area is nice. It has many positives you can't find elsewhere. But Philly and SE PA people, chill. Life is to short to act like a tough douche.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
It's alot of things, but character building it is not. Just today, at a local Wawa some construction contractor type is standing beside the line looking for a way to "Get In". Naturally, instead of trying to butt in on the two large beefcake guys in front of me, he decideds he'll barrel right in front of me (the glasses wearing dork). So Brave. And to top it all off, he continually takes his sweet ass time actually getting to the front.

I know someone is going to pipe up and say "Stop being a Pu##y and do something". Like what? Get decked out or better yet have him wave his CCW piece in my face. Not for a $1.69 cup of coffee. And for the next reply of "You're just jealous/have a problem with "real men"", Some of the guys I've gotten along most with were military. One teacher in tech school in particular was a Ranger. It doesn't get more man than that.
like I said...for better and for worse!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Im confused, is everyone talking about the thugish attitude in the city, or the suburbs? Because where i live i dont see thugish behavior, of course there are teens (usually guys ages 15-25) that act like jerks , but that is found anywhere, often times, kids from wealthy suburban communities think they can do anything because of their parents success, that attitude of entitlement, but that can be found in any suburb, i dont think it is a strict issue to SE Pa. As far as cities, thug behavior is not limited to philly at all.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
To the OP. Just move further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia