Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,599 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,

I'm 31 yr old male, married with 2 kids(3yrs and 1 month old) We will be moving to Philly area within the next couple months as I start work as a resident at Albert Einstein medical center in July. I will be there as well as spending time at Einstein One surgical center in the bustleton area of the northeast. My wife doesn't work so we will be living on my income which is around 47,000/year. We live pretty frugally but as far as rent goes I think our max would be around 1200 and we would love to find a place for 900-1000. We have been considering Rox/Manayunk areas, suburbs like Flourtown, Willow Grove, Oreland. Have also recently been looking at areas in NE philly like holmesburg/mayfair. We would like a 3 Bedroom place(townhome,single family, duplex....whatever has 3 bedrooms and 2 levels). So I guess I need help on knowing whether some of the affordable areas in the northeast will feel safe enough to have my wife and kids be able to walk around the neighborhood. I stayed in roxborough for the 1 month I spend in Philly and it seemed safe enough to me. spotcrime.com is scaring me when it comes to crime in philly. Not too worried about schools as we will only be in the area for 3 years. One area in specific I am debating is Loring St in Philadelphia which seems to be inbetween tacony and holmesburg on google maps. how is that area? Thanks for any info or tips.

FYI: I am moving from Cleveland Ohio suburbs

Last edited by Podresident; 05-14-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 34,962 times
Well for starters I would try to stay out of the city limits if possible. Eventhough you will not be staying in the area and schools is not a concern. The safety of you and your family clearly is. I lived in manayunk for years as a twenty something and unless you like parking issues, loud drunk kids roaming the streets late at night, and people peeing on your front step I would steer clear.
I was born and raised in the philly suburbs and you can find places to rent that is convenient to your work place, grocery stores, parks and entertainment. Jenkintown, Glenside, Blue Bell, Meadowbrook, even the philmont area of the northeast are still reasonable. Good luck

Old 05-19-2011, 03:09 AM

938 posts, read 2,897,540 times
I'd hit the trail up Old York and look in Jenkintown.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM

219 posts, read 674,519 times
Mayfair and Holmesburg are plenty safe... although you might have the occasional quality-of-life issue with a loud neighbor or a hoarder, and sure, some kids might be drinking 40s on the corner on a summer night, there is virtually none of the drug violence that afflicts Philly's roughest neighborhoods; in fact, I think that statistically, and perception-wise, it's one of Philly's safest.

As far as schools, if you end up staying for more than 3 years, the neighborhood elementary schools, contrary to the reputation for many Philly schools, are actually pretty decent and on par with many suburban districts... Mayfair Elementary, Edwin Forrest, and Brown are the three closest to you and they all test significantly above state average, with Forrest, especially, ranking as one of the best in the state.....

The corner of the Northeast you chose is tranquil, almost too tranquil for some. But if that is your thing, then good luck

Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 PM

120 posts, read 289,208 times
You would probably like Jenkintown as it is in between the 2 places where you will be working

Old 06-06-2011, 12:08 AM

148 posts, read 411,718 times
A big advantage to living in the city is the public transportation. If you are trying to live on a single income, it will be really helpful to use SEPTA. Bus service is pretty good in Manayunk/Roxborough during the week, but not on the weekends. Bus service is not particularly good in upper NE Philly, especially on the weekends. However, if you live near a Regional Rail line in the NE or Manayunk/Roxborough, you will have easier access to other parts of the city. Parking is really tough in Manayunk because it's so hilly and dense. There are also a lot of college students and 20 somethings in Manayunk. You may find more families in the NE or Roxborough. Most of NE Philly north of Pennypack Park is very suburban-like and car-dependent. You may want to look for a neighborhood with a lot of shopping and services within walking distance of your residence. There are a couple of grocery stores in Roxborough. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia