U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,490 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We are moving to Philadelphia with 3 kids in the elementary, middle, and high schools. We are looking to find GREAT public schools and a great housing .
I would like to know if West Chester, Chadds ford are a good choice or not? who is best?

I also would like to know if I can rent a full furnished apartment for a month until we find a home. If you know some places were I can find a good apartment with a reasonable prices please share here.

I will appreciate your help and will be more than thankful if you help me to find any information about that.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Elegant; 06-05-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 PM

These are more info about me:

When are you moving?
On the end of July .

Where are you coming from?
San Diego

Why are you moving?
For studding

Where will you be working?
I will be a Ph.D. students at Widener University in Delaware

Have you been here yet?
No.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent .

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
I am looking for a townhouse from $1400 to $1700.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
I am married and I have three children.

Do you prefer public or private schools?
Public.

Do you have pets?
No .

Do you want or need a yard?
I want it if that possible.

Are you keeping a car?
Yes .

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
I prefer a diverse neighborhood
Coke or Pepsi?
Coke

Thanks

Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 20,140,941 times
West Chester and Chadds Ford is most certainly NOT Philadelphia. Both very nice, clean, safe area with great public schools.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:22 AM

7,651 posts, read 6,834,289 times
When i first saw this thread i was going to tell you that philly would not be the best choice to send your kids to public school. But then i saw that you are looking in the suburbs.. much better. There have been quite a few threads regarding chadds ford and west chester recently. I live in the area, and i strongly suggest a move to either area, they are both great communities, with great public schools, there are some difference that ill explain.

Chadds Ford, is a lot more spacious than west chester. When driving through the Chadds Ford area you see a lot of large homes on large lots, it almost feels like the country side, but you are minutes away from major shopping highways, and dining. Chadds Ford is an expensive area, very wealthy, yet people there are not as stuck-up as other philly burbs, people are generally friendly and down to earth. The school district: Unionville-Chadds Ford is one of the top districts in the state, you really cant go wrong with it. The only thing that would be a problem for anyone considering a move to chadds ford is the price of homes, most homes are the market are larger and expensive, because that is all that is being built in that area, but if price isnt that big of an issue than chadds ford would be my top choice.

West Chester is more densly populated than chadds ford, not far away though. A big plus for WEst Chester is that there is a nice walkable downtown with great restaurants, boutique, and gallery type stores. The WEst CHester area school district is also a strong district, not quite on the level as Chadds Ford but still very strong. West Chester is still expensive, but more affordable than Chadds Ford, and there is definately more options when it comes to housing. There are a lot of aparements in and near downtown west chester that would be a good starting place, even if you do move to chadds ford the drive between the 2 areas is pretty direct, traffic is only issue.

Lastly, both are these communities are located near route 202 and route 1. Both of these roads have a lot of traffic, but offer tons of shopping, restaurants, and basically anything you need all minutes away.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
West Chester and Chadds Ford is most certainly NOT Philadelphia. Both very nice, clean, safe area with great public schools.
Thank you Frank for your help.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
When i first saw this thread i was going to tell you that philly would not be the best choice to send your kids to public school. But then i saw that you are looking in the suburbs.. much better. There have been quite a few threads regarding chadds ford and west chester recently. I live in the area, and i strongly suggest a move to either area, they are both great communities, with great public schools, there are some difference that ill explain.

Chadds Ford, is a lot more spacious than west chester. When driving through the Chadds Ford area you see a lot of large homes on large lots, it almost feels like the country side, but you are minutes away from major shopping highways, and dining. Chadds Ford is an expensive area, very wealthy, yet people there are not as stuck-up as other philly burbs, people are generally friendly and down to earth. The school district: Unionville-Chadds Ford is one of the top districts in the state, you really cant go wrong with it. The only thing that would be a problem for anyone considering a move to chadds ford is the price of homes, most homes are the market are larger and expensive, because that is all that is being built in that area, but if price isnt that big of an issue than chadds ford would be my top choice.

West Chester is more densly populated than chadds ford, not far away though. A big plus for WEst Chester is that there is a nice walkable downtown with great restaurants, boutique, and gallery type stores. The WEst CHester area school district is also a strong district, not quite on the level as Chadds Ford but still very strong. West Chester is still expensive, but more affordable than Chadds Ford, and there is definately more options when it comes to housing. There are a lot of aparements in and near downtown west chester that would be a good starting place, even if you do move to chadds ford the drive between the 2 areas is pretty direct, traffic is only issue.

Lastly, both are these communities are located near route 202 and route 1. Both of these roads have a lot of traffic, but offer tons of shopping, restaurants, and basically anything you need all minutes away.
Thank you so much Cpomp for your help, I appreciate that.

I'm international student and I think it is really important for me to live in friendly neighborhood and after reading your response I will go with West Chester.
Thank you again and have a wonderful day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia