Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I actually find SLS international at broad and spruce more attractive than FMC. FMC is nice and tall, but an uninspiring design. I also love 500 Walnuts design.

I actually think one and two penn center are far worse than the MSB. They are stubby ugly boxes with oversized courtyards where low lives hang all day. But we should worry about filling up the parking lots first before we start tearing down midrises... That is becoming very common in Manhattan though.
I meant to add 500 Walnut to that mix. It's good to see some density being added east of Broad.

I also like SLS, but it's not going to be as skyline-altering as FMC. SLS will alter the skyline as it will be the tallest building on Broad Street when completed. FMC, however, will change the view when coming in on the Schuylkill Expressway in either direction. Plus, it will stretch the height of our skyline into West Philly. , I find that FMC fits into the Cira complex nicely. I wish that Cira IV was still going up because it would essentially complete the Cira complex.Both are great towers, don't get me wrong. I just give the slight edge to FMC.

I don't know if it was you or another poster, but I don't ever recall seeing the intricate features on the MSB. I'll have to check them out when I return to Philly. What I will say though is that the plaza ruins it. I think the MSB would look much better with an updated plaza with urban elements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
I don't know if anyone had the time to read this article in depth. But I would love to hear everyones opinion as to what they like/dislike about the current proposals and diagrams.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
I don't know if anyone had the time to read this article in depth. But I would love to hear everyones opinion as to what they like/dislike about the current proposals and diagrams.
I like the CBD 2 design (No.1) for one simple reason - it offers the most green space adjacent to the river. University City could use a nice beautiful park as its entry way from Center City. However, I prefer the build that is proposed in scheme No. 2 - a mixed-use development. This will help ensure a much more active and vibrant evening environment as opposed to a sterile office campus that closes down after 5 PM. I'd propose the Pearl District in Portland, OR could serve as a good model for this fantastic opportunity, if anyone is familiar with that.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:39 PM

4,509 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Quote:
Ultimately 1 is best, the area should be another major business district. The regional rail network is not catering to the reverse commuter so it makes no sense for it to be another residential neighborhood. Also the colleges don't need regional rail access, it's a complete disaster that they are that close to begin with.

I think 1 should take the bridges from 2 though. Also it should have the bigger covering of the rails in the lower left as 2. I'm undecided about if the long park on the left of 2 is better however it's probably not worth it if it's going to be interrupted on four sides by roads. Crossing a road while walking through a park normally kills the whole experience.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Distr...oncepts_Survey

Link for feedback on the 30th Street proposals

Old 06-19-2015, 01:20 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I like the CBD 2 design (No.1) for one simple reason - it offers the most green space adjacent to the river. University City could use a nice beautiful park as its entry way from Center City. However, I prefer the build that is proposed in scheme No. 2 - a mixed-use development. This will help ensure a much more active and vibrant evening environment as opposed to a sterile office campus that closes down after 5 PM. I'd propose the Pearl District in Portland, OR could serve as a good model for this fantastic opportunity, if anyone is familiar with that.
I agree with this, especially since it's not one diagram or another- they will hopefully incorporate the best ideas from each.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:40 PM

311 posts, read 314,141 times
Any word on the proposed height increase for CITC?

Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Distr...oncepts_Survey

Link for feedback on the 30th Street proposals
Thanks so much for this! I offered my opinions, which were basically in favor of CBD 2. The only thing that I added was that the cap over SEPTA's Powelton Yard from Schuylkill Crossing and the large extension of The Porch from Innovation City should be incorporated into CBD 2. Another thing I would really like to see in CBD 2 is a large intercity bus terminal, similar to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York. While I'm not really referencing its size, I believe that we need more capacity. A bus terminal next to the Cira Center would be perfect due to the proximity to 30th Street Station and I-76. Plus, a prime parcel of real estate would open up where the current Greyhound bus terminal stands at 10th and Filbert. Other than that, CBD 2 is the main general idea that we should go with. We need to worry about tax revenue generation before public space. This will bring in 15-20 million available square feet.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
TWe need to worry about tax revenue generation before public space. This will bring in 15-20 million available square feet.
that's assuming they don't make all the new development a tax haven, a la the cira centre & the navy yard...

Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Big news on the billboard advertising front:

"One of the country’s biggest cities is about to have a lot less outdoor advertising space, as the Philadelphia City Council moves to reduce the number of billboards as part of a campaign against “visual clutter” in the City of Brotherly Love.
According to the bill passed by the council after two years of debate, for every new digital billboard erected in the city, two old billboards must be demolished, which should reduce the total number of billboards considerably, as outdoor advertisers continuing replacing static boards with digital displays."

Philadelphia Reins In OOH Ads, Reduces Billboards 06/22/2015

I personally find this to be a very good and important policy change. The over-saturation of billboards on highways is a blight to the city, plain and simple, and their effectiveness is very much questionable. You'd think advertising companies would catch on the this fact and try to eliminate them for PR and money purposes, as opposed to fighting tooth-and-nail to keep them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia