Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I do not really have high hope about this new Gallery to be honest. Let's just wait and see.
And after what happened to 15th and Walnut, I won't be surprised if this new Gallery will be filled with phone carrier stores, Five Below and perhaps Dollar Store.
On the other hand, I have high hope on East Market Development.
A wireless phone store isn't what I'd consider a highest and best use for the 15th and Walnut corner either, but c'mon, The Cheesecake Factory is hardly McDonald's.

Once again, remember where the money is in this region, which, it turns out, is the most highly segregated large metro by income in the country. Take a look at this Urban Institute map of household income distribution in the region and you tell me where YOU would put your one high-end boutique serving your Pennsylvania customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:30 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
A wireless phone store isn't what I'd consider a highest and best use for the 15th and Walnut corner either, but c'mon, The Cheesecake Factory is hardly McDonald's.

Once again, remember where the money is in this region, which, it turns out, is the most highly segregated large metro by income in the country. Take a look at this Urban Institute map of household income distribution in the region and you tell me where YOU would put your one high-end boutique serving your Pennsylvania customers.
I actually think most posters don't mind the Cheesecake Factory as it is a huge tourist magnet on the more upscale side. People were upset about a Verizon store coming to the Southwest corner and an AT&T coming to the Southeast corner of a very prominent shopping block.

But I do agree with you. King of Prussia always steals the luxury retailers, its frustrating, but it comes down to where the money is at...

I looked at that map, and it seems like the creator left out some of highest 10% (blue area) in the Rose Valley and Glen Mills area. So that is essentially a sea of blue around Philly.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:08 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.
Although one thing: We do not mind Cheesecake at all. I used to eat at Cheesecake F. back home.
So it is nice to just to be able to walk there now.

The big bummer is the ground retail for it, which is occupied by Verizon. And now across the street: AT&T.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 07-07-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:

The Cheesecake Factory, is getting a "thumbs up" from most folks here, I think. It's what's happening on the ground floor of that bldg that is disappointing to some posters including me.

Actually I would try to have some vision, like the late Tony Goldman did, about 13th St which was in total decline when he proposed what he did. A lot of people probably thought he was crackers to see past the decay.
Turns out he was right, of course.

What some are saying is someone, we hope, will have a more "build it they will come" attitude about having more upscale retail in CC.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The Cheesecake Factory, is getting a "thumbs up" from most folks here, I think. It's what's happening on the ground floor of that bldg that is disappointing to some posters including me.

Actually I would try to have some vision, like the late Tony Goldman did, about 13th St which was in total decline when he proposed what he did. A lot of people probably thought he was crackers to see past the decay.
Turns out he was right, of course.

What some are saying is someone, we hope, will have a more "build it they will come" attitude about having more upscale retail in CC.
Note, however, that Goldman controlled all the real estate on that block of 13th Street and courted small local business owners and entrepreneurs (one lesbian couple in particular proved key to his successful redevelopment strategy).

In other words, mall management combined with willingness to take a risk.

We have neither of these in place along Rittenhouse Row.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Note, however, that Goldman controlled all the real estate on that block of 13th Street and courted small local business owners and entrepreneurs (one lesbian couple in particular proved key to his successful redevelopment strategy).

In other words, mall management combined with willingness to take a risk.

We have neither of these in place along Rittenhouse Row.
Exactly. Goldman was a guy who took a huge risk. He didn't have to buy/control that real estate. And luckily he really intended to follow through and was no Rapportport. It's a tragedy, for the city, that he's dead.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
Two HUGE surface parking lots are getting ready to bite the dust! North Broad is getting ready to be infused with life!

Dual Apartment Buildings at Broad and Callowhill on Track for Groundbreaking

Old 07-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Two HUGE surface parking lots are getting ready to bite the dust! North Broad is getting ready to be infused with life!

Dual Apartment Buildings at Broad and Callowhill on Track for Groundbreaking
That's great news. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Brandywine buys site of Market Street building collapse

Lets hope Brandywine makes something of this mess.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Brandywine buys site of Market Street building collapse

Lets hope Brandywine makes something of this mess.
That's EXCELLENT news! I'm glad to hear that. I hope Brandywine builds tall as it would really fill in the height drop gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia