Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 12:40 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
You do know that most of the land covered in the Big Dig actually can't have dense development on top of it, for structural reasons. So, even billions of dollars of state funds and decades of work might not make all dreams come true!
Not on top of it. I know the structures constructed during the Big Dig, or anything similar to it, would not be able to support such dense development. I'm talking about development on either side of Vine. I'm talking about those surface lots in Chinatown North/Callowhill. I would envision some type of median with green space in the middle. When it comes to I-95, I envision it tunneled from Arch to Oregon. Rowhouse development could occur in those areas. Columbus Boulevard, particularly on the Delaware River side, would have the dense development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 01:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Not on top of it. I know the structures constructed during the Big Dig, or anything similar to it, would not be able to support such dense development. I'm talking about development on either side of Vine. I'm talking about those surface lots in Chinatown North/Callowhill. I would envision some type of median with green space in the middle. When it comes to I-95, I envision it tunneled from Arch to Oregon. Rowhouse development could occur in those areas. Columbus Boulevard, particularly on the Delaware River side, would have the dense development.
The Vine St. Expressway is not what was originally proposed for Vine St. It was originally supposed to be a surface road that would have cut Chinatown in two. The Chinese community protested. When they were still ignored a petition was circulated. I know this because I signed that petition when I was in college. That's why the Vine St Expressway was sunk. Don't look at surface lots in Chinatown with greedy eyes, dreaming of putting tall buildings there. If you think that there would not be a backlash you are mistaken.

I already told you what happened when they dug the Vine St Expressway. If they tunnel for 95 there is little chance that they wouldn't end up stopped with archeologists crawling all over the area multiple times. That's a real possibility east of City Hall.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:23 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not the main takeaway, but I can't believe its going to take Penndot over 4 years to replace a few bridges, not even any capping work aside from a small sliver..Rome was built faster than that.
Maybe more important than what kyb01 said about the project, and what added time to both it and the Big Dig, is that the work has to be done while keeping the road beneath it open (just as the elevated freeway over the tunnel in Boston had to be kept open). You can always get the work done faster if you don't have to maintain service on an existing facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamcity View Post
Does anybody see Frankford improving i've always thought that neighborhood has potential. Great transit and the homes especially towards Northwood are really nice. BTW what do people think of Northwood?
Northwood is the tony part of Frankford. It's still a pretty nice neighborhood, if frayed around the edges.

Frankford has strong bones and great transit service, but it's hollowed out far more than Germantown has, and despite the heroic efforts of the Frankford CDC to date to get people to view the place with fresh eyes, I don't see any major transformation taking place there soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Vine St. Expressway is not what was originally proposed for Vine St. It was originally supposed to be a surface road that would have cut Chinatown in two. The Chinese community protested. When they were still ignored a petition was circulated. I know this because I signed that petition when I was in college. That's why the Vine St Expressway was sunk. Don't look at surface lots in Chinatown with greedy eyes, dreaming of putting tall buildings there. If you think that there would not be a backlash you are mistaken.
Sure about that?

Vine Street was already a 10-lane-wide surface arterial when the Expressway extension was proposed; the street was widened from 16th Street east to Franklin Square in 1955. (I remember that on my first visit here in 1971, eastbound traffic headed for the bridge actually went from 9th and Vine down Ridge Avenue to 8th Street, then along Arch to the bridge.)

I'm pretty sure what the petitioners were objecting to was the sunken expressway itself. (Vine was still that 10-lane behemoth when I moved here in 1983. I think the expressway actually improved things by taking most of the through traffic into the trench and making Vine easier to cross.)

Quote:
I already told you what happened when they dug the Vine St Expressway. If they tunnel for 95 there is little chance that they wouldn't end up stopped with archeologists crawling all over the area multiple times. That's a real possibility east of City Hall.
In the vicinity of Center City, 95 is already partially buried, so I don't think there'd be more major finds. Pennsport is probably a different story.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Maybe more important than what kyb01 said about the project, and what added time to both it and the Big Dig, is that the work has to be done while keeping the road beneath it open (just as the elevated freeway over the tunnel in Boston had to be kept open). You can always get the work done faster if you don't have to maintain service on an existing facility.

Northwood is the tony part of Frankford. It's still a pretty nice neighborhood, if frayed around the edges.

Frankford has strong bones and great transit service, but it's hollowed out far more than Germantown has, and despite the heroic efforts of the Frankford CDC to date to get people to view the place with fresh eyes, I don't see any major transformation taking place there soon.

Sure about that?

Vine Street was already a 10-lane-wide surface arterial when the Expressway extension was proposed; the street was widened from 16th Street east to Franklin Square in 1955. (I remember that on my first visit here in 1971, eastbound traffic headed for the bridge actually went from 9th and Vine down Ridge Avenue to 8th Street, then along Arch to the bridge.)

I'm pretty sure what the petitioners were objecting to was the sunken expressway itself. (Vine was still that 10-lane behemoth when I moved here in 1983. I think the expressway actually improved things by taking most of the through traffic into the trench and making Vine easier to cross.)

In the vicinity of Center City, 95 is already partially buried, so I don't think there'd be more major finds. Pennsport is probably a different story.
Yes, I'm pretty sure about it. I used to maneuver through the Vine St. mess, regularly. There were lights to allow cross traffic & some islands for pedestrians. You could see the little kids from Chinatown, in their uniforms, on the islands, going to & from school if you went at the right times. do you remember that? That was the cause of the uproar about an expressway on the surface. The petition took it back to the drawing board. Eventually, they decided to sink the road.

I graduated in 1973, so the petion was about 71 or 72. The Chinatown community sent copies of the petion to the local colleges with their college students to collect signatures.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Wasn't there some plan to actually "get rid" of I-95 in the CC portion, reclaim/infill the land and build on it to reconnect that portion of the city, more directly,to the riverfront?

I remember Inga S writing about it and it may have come out of some Penn Praxis idea.

If the Viaduct Park(high line)happens, those surface lots along Callowhill and Vine may be more primed for development. There's already some along 13th and 11th toward Spring Garden St.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:02 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure about it. I used to maneuver through the Vine St. mess, regularly. There were lights to allow cross traffic & some islands for pedestrians. You could see the little kids from Chinatown, in their uniforms, on the islands, going to & from school if you went at the right times. do you remember that? That was the cause of the uproar about an expressway on the surface. The petition took it back to the drawing board. Eventually, they decided to sink the road.

I graduated in 1973, so the petion was about 71 or 72. The Chinatown community sent copies of the petion to the local colleges with their college students to collect signatures.
Well, that explains it - the fight had already ended, with the Chinatowners winning, by the time I arrived here in 1983.

An at-grade freeway would have been a disaster for Chinatown. Imagine how it would have looked with a standard-grade pedestrian bridge at 10th or 9th and Vine. It would have cut the neighborhood off from its Catholic church and school, and it would have prevented the development of what we now call "Chinatown North."

Old 11-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, that explains it - the fight had already ended, with the Chinatowners winning, by the time I arrived here in 1983.

An at-grade freeway would have been a disaster for Chinatown. Imagine how it would have looked with a standard-grade pedestrian bridge at 10th or 9th and Vine. It would have cut the neighborhood off from its Catholic church and school, and it would have prevented the development of what we now call "Chinatown North."
That's it in a nutshell. I signed that petion. It would have been terrible for the people in Chinatown. That's why I made the comment that I made concerning Chinatown. The college students who got signatures may be there still or may have gone to the suburbs. If you know reasonably recent history, I wouldn't eyeball surface parking lots in Chinatown unless the community got behind the project.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:25 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Changing Skyline: We can't treat our historic buildings as hardships

Possibly another historic loss for new development. I am excited for this project, but there is no reason why these buildings need to be demolished.

Still can't believe the PPA planned a parking garage for the site in the 90s. The city will never learn.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:16 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I walked past the Study Hotel construction site today (it's on the corner of 33rd and Chestnut.) It's already 10 stories high, only one more story to go and it's topped off. That thing is going up fast!

Old 11-22-2015, 07:51 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Southound, MarketSt & kyb - reps all around! Thanks for the history lesson on the Vine Expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia