Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 04:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

Concerning Philly's grittiness: in a way it gives Philly some it's unique charm. I'm not arguing in favor of crime or drug corners or abandoned factories that morphed into crack dens. To me Philly always had much more of a working class industrial vibe than Boston or DC. But it's our Philly.

While the Rocky movies utilizes that blue collar ambiance, I was somewhat annoyed by the portrayal of Philly in the 2004 movie National Treasure. A small part of that movie takes place in Philly and what do we see ... Independence Hall and it's verdant Mall, leafy streets in Society Hill, the Franklin Institute, the Swan Fountain in Logan Circle? Also a tasteful Colonial Revival home in the suburbs. Looks like a travel brochure designed by the local visitor's bureau.

Philly is like our mother. Beautiful in some ways and shabby in others. I love her nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Concerning Philly's grittiness: in a way it gives Philly some it's unique charm. I'm not arguing in favor of crime or drug corners or abandoned factories that morphed into crack dens. To me Philly always had much more of a working class industrial vibe than Boston or DC. But it's our Philly.

While the Rocky movies utilizes that blue collar ambiance, I was somewhat annoyed by the portrayal of Philly in the 2004 movie National Treasure. A small part of that movie takes place in Philly and what do we see ... Independence Hall and it's verdant Mall, leafy streets in Society Hill, the Franklin Institute, the Swan Fountain in Logan Circle? Also a tasteful Colonial Revival home in the suburbs. Looks like a travel brochure designed by the local visitor's bureau.

Philly is like our mother. Beautiful in some ways and shabby in others. I love her nonetheless.
Keep in mind that many people only see snippets of unpleasant views of Philadelphia in news stories. I love it when people see shots of the city that blow their minds. The 6th Sense was my favorite for really showing the city.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:37 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I have no doubt that Dranoff will complete this project. That said, it must be a pretty significant sum of money from Harrisburg if the completion of this project depends on the whims of legislators from Erie, Scranton, Renovo and elsewhere. In the meantime, he owns a taxable hole in the ground.
Dranoff has a tremendous history of successfully re-habbing used buildings in the city going back to, at least, the 1980s. I may be wrong but his first "from scratch" project was the Symphony House at Broad and Pine. Inga S. hates it but nothing she said affected sales in building which were probably based on his reputation alone. I have no doubt that he will finish this new project.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

I'm sure you're aware that the garment "industry" also existed in Center City. The After Six formal wear factory was at 22nd and Market where Trader Joe's is now. And Botany 500 suits were made at 22nd and Walnut. Further north, at Broad and Wallace, afaik, Albert Nippon was making his high fashion garments. And, Bill Blass clothes were made 5th and Race in Old City.

Creed ignored all of the "travelogue" parts of Phila., btw.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Default Let the era of SEPTA Key...BEGIN!

SEPTA Introduces SEPTA Key Cards For Easier Travel | NBC 10 Philadelphia

SEPTA has officially commenced the transition into SEPTA Key, and, effectively, a new era in transportation throughout the Delaware Valley!

Old 12-31-2015, 04:31 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

SEPTA has officially commenced the transition into SEPTA Key, and, effectively, a new era in transportation throughout the Delaware Valley!

How many months is march from the original date? I think it is 15 months overdue by than. Nothing annoys me as much as the subway station right next to the Dilworth Park doesn't accept tokens if nobody is working the both. Like great, make people walk down the pee tunnel. Happy it is here though. Nothing like having to wait for a token machine.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:15 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
How many months is march from the original date? I think it is 15 months overdue by than. Nothing annoys me as much as the subway station right next to the Dilworth Park doesn't accept tokens if nobody is working the both. Like great, make people walk down the pee tunnel. Happy it is here though. Nothing like having to wait for a token machine.
Don't know whether it's proper protocol not, but almost anytime a subway station is unstaffed a gate is left unlocked so you can go in without paying.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

I'll believe it when I see it. And I do not like what they plan to do with senior access. It won't mean easier access for some of us because a lot of us won't know that they will need to change something eventually.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I never use those for a similar reason: can't get "buzzed" through the gate if no one is there to see my senior transit card.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:08 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Dranoff has a tremendous history of successfully re-habbing used buildings in the city going back to, at least, the 1980s. I may be wrong but his first "from scratch" project was the Symphony House at Broad and Pine. Inga S. hates it but nothing she said affected sales in building which were probably based on his reputation alone. I have no doubt that he will finish this new project.
I know you're no fan of Inga's*, but I share her low opinion of the Symphony House as architecture: leaving aside the choice of color for the concrete, the building desperately wants to be the Drake just to its northwest but doesn't really have the proper Moorish Revival mojo to pull it off - and the faux-classical gimcracks attached to its lower-floors facade also do a disservice to what could have been a decent building if the architect, or Dranoff, were willing to let the building just be its Modernist self the way the attached Philadelphia Theatre Company is. As far as its sales are concerned, I'm glad the building was a hit - but we've got lots of people living in blander and tackier new buildings than Symphony House while we're at it (I'm looking at you, you brick box with metal-clad boxy protrusion that can be found all over Point Breeze and parts of G-Ho).

The new buildings Dranoff's built since have IMO been better. I like the South Philly-meets-South Beach mix of brick and Art Deco that characterizes 777 South Broad. Southstar Lofts is a decent building that plays well with its neighbors. SLS will be a show-stopper. One Riverside looks awfully sleek to me as well based on the renderings.

Dranoff knows what will appeal to Philly urbanites. That's the secret of his success. They're not looking for jaw-dropping architecture as much as they are classy amenities, and he gives them those.

*Perhaps I should also disclose here, though, that Inga likes my stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. And I do not like what they plan to do with senior access. It won't mean easier access for some of us because a lot of us won't know that they will need to change something eventually.
Once you all have the new ID cards, the only thing will be that you'll have to wave them over the reader screens. Your state-issued ID can be swiped through the mag-stripe readers. Maybe not as quick as flashing the driver or booth clerk your paper ID and shoving a dollar bill down the slot, but hardly a PITA IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia