Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 04:39 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I post links to developments all the time that no one responds too... like the Toll Brothers project n Jewelers Row.
That went viral outside this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 12:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
This could be the momentum Camden needs, or just a continuation of impoverished residents, just a different color.

But, one quote that seems promising: "City Councilman Angel Fuentes, 55 - who left the island as a child and noted that the first wave of Puerto Rican migration to Camden was back in the 1950s - expects the new arrivals to find jobs with the companies being lured to Camden by tax breaks.

"I'm sure Puerto Ricans hear that Camden right now is experiencing a sort of renaissance with all these big companies coming to the city," he said."

Puerto Ricans fleeing island's troubles find an unlikely haven: Camden

Are there a lot of "big companies coming to the city" that could allow the Puerto Ricans to revive the city? It would be really great if they could. But that's also terrifying that they find Camden safer, more family-friendly, and it has better education than Puerto Rico. I didn't realize PR was THAT bad, but if they like Camden more, it's gotta be pretty bad down there!

Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This could be the momentum Camden needs, or just a continuation of impoverished residents, just a different color.

But, one quote that seems promising: "City Councilman Angel Fuentes, 55 - who left the island as a child and noted that the first wave of Puerto Rican migration to Camden was back in the 1950s - expects the new arrivals to find jobs with the companies being lured to Camden by tax breaks.

"I'm sure Puerto Ricans hear that Camden right now is experiencing a sort of renaissance with all these big companies coming to the city," he said."

Are there a lot of "big companies coming to the city" that could allow the Puerto Ricans to revive the city? It would be really great if they could. But that's also terrifying that they find Camden safer, more family-friendly, and it has better education than Puerto Rico. I didn't realize PR was THAT bad, but if they like Camden more, it's gotta be pretty bad down there!
All its doing is flooding an already poor area with (mostly) more poor people. Camden needs people who aren't dependent on welfare and have disposable income to spend in order to revive itself. I don't think that demographic is going to be coming to Camden anytime soon.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:48 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

There's a pattern with the Puerto Rican community in Camden. As one family moves up to Pennsauken, another family moves up from the island. Camden is not seen as a destination as much as a stepping stone.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Sponsor Content Promo - Philadelphia Magazine

Not exactly Philly related, but the Hudson Yards development in NYC is in full swing, absolutely incredible and city changing project. If 30th St turns out half as good, it will forever change Philadelphia. (for the better)

Old 10-26-2016, 10:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Sponsor Content Promo - Philadelphia Magazine

Not exactly Philly related, but the Hudson Yards development in NYC is in full swing, absolutely incredible and city changing project. If 30th St turns out half as good, it will forever change Philadelphia. (for the better)
Every time I'm in that area I'm blown away by it. It's already spectacular unfinished. If the 30th project turns out as well, we will experience the true connection between UC and CC. They will become one in ways they're not now.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Every time I'm in that area I'm blown away by it. It's already spectacular unfinished. If the 30th project turns out as well, we will experience the true connection between UC and CC. They will become one in ways they're not now.
It won't turn out that well lol, but it certainly would connect the 2 regions of the city.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:54 PM

Two Apartment Buildings Could Revitalize a Neighborhood | Naked Philly

Updates, this better happen and not get scaled down due to some height phobia.

Just wish the parking garage was under ground.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:25 PM

Cash-strapped Archdiocese sees high-rise towers for Cathedral campus

Still in the very early stages, but another huge residential project.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:13 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Two Apartment Buildings Could Revitalize a Neighborhood | Naked Philly

Updates, this better happen and not get scaled down due to some height phobia.

Just wish the parking garage was under ground.
Hopefully that won't happen because of how fairly desolate it is around there. And I think Yard's is moving to the old Destination Maternity factory at 5th and SG. The Lagos jewelry factory was at 5th and Callowhill. Not sure if it's still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia