Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 11:20 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Ah, that would explain it.

There's a lot at the sw corner of 19th and Callowhill if that's where you mean.
The parking lot at on the SW corner of 19th and Callowhill is owned by the city, and was going to be used as an expansion of the Free Library a few years back. I don't think those plans are in the works any longer.

The lot he is talking about is on the Northwest corner of 18th and Callowhill. It is a grass empty lot and needs environmental remediation. Therefore, it will be expensive to build on the lot unless something significantly tall is built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 02:55 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Impressive rundown of mid- to high-rise construction set to open next year: http://philly.curbed.com/maps/philad...pment-map-2017

Old 12-30-2016, 12:01 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Impressive rundown of mid- to high-rise construction set to open next year: http://philly.curbed.com/maps/philad...pment-map-2017
There's also an article on there today about Philly being the 10th highest(expensive ?) rental market now or something like that.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:25 PM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
It's based on this end of year report from Zillow: How Much is Every Home in America Worth? A Lot. - Zillow Research

From Curbed:
Quote:
...the U.S. housing stock grew to a record-high $29.6 trillion in this past year. In Philly, the total value of all homes is $589.2 billion, a 3.2 percent change from last year, or $18.4 billion ... In Philly, the total rent paid was $8.5 billion, up 4 percent from 2015.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:39 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
There's also an article on there today about Philly being the 10th highest(expensive ?) rental market now or something like that.
Seems like a trend that will continue for the entire area. I think the biggest setback is the lackluster job market.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Philadelphia's No. 10 ranking is for the total value of all the homes in the market. That's stated in the Zillow research report linked above. By the way, that total - not mentioned in the article, but passed on to me by a Zillow PR rep in hopes I'll write something about this (and I probably will once our Christmas/New Year's break is over) - is $589.2 billion, up $18.4 billion, or 3.2 percent, from last year.

The rental figures in the article are, like the house values, totals - they represent the total amount of rent paid by tenants in those markets. The report lists the nine markets where tenants paid a total of $10 billion or more in rent, then gives Phoenix's $7.4 billion figure for purposes of comparison to another large sum. Tenants in Philadelphia paid a total of $8.5 billion in rent in 2016.

Neither of these sets of statistics tell you how expensive a housing market is. The figure that most surveys use to determine that is the median sale price of a house or the median rent for a one-bedroom apartment (that is, the figure where half the units sold/rented for more and half for less). You could get average values by dividing these totals by the total number of homes (or apartments) in the market.

One of the apartment search engines, Zumper, has also released its latest monthly survey of rents in the 100 largest US markets, based on more than 1 million apartments listed in its database (which may not include all the apartments available in a market). According to Zumper, Philadelphia is the 17th most expensive rental market in the country, down two spots from last month's survey. But rents here have shot up from year-ago levels: while the median rent for a one-bedroom apartment of $1360 is down 2.9 percent from last month, it's up 14.3 percent from one year ago. The median rent for a two-bedroom apartment, $1500, is up 10.3 percent from one year ago.

My explanation for the sharp rise: There's been a lot of new apartments added at the upper end of the market over the last year. Almost all of the new apartment buildings that have come on line in the last 12 months - 3601 Market, Cathedral Tower, 2120 Chestnut, 1919 Market, the Granary - are positioned as "luxury" buildings with many extra community amenities, and even those not explicitly being marketed as luxury buildings have rents in the upper end of the market. All that new supply being added at the top will, of course, send the median rent skyrocketing.

Adding to this, however, may also be a shrinkage in the number of units at the lower end of the market. The Philly Fed recently released a study that found that the city lost one-fourth of its inventory of apartments renting for $750 or less a month - the figure the researchers consider "affordable" to a low- to moderate-income Philadelphian - between 2000 and 2014. If that shrinkage is continuing, it too will add to the upward spike in median rents.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:37 PM

More Residential Towers Coming Near North Broad - Philadelphia Magazine

More development on North Broad.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Does this further reduce the possibility of anything happening to the Inquirer building? Residential must be becoming saturated, especially once this gets built.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Does this further reduce the possibility of anything happening to the Inquirer building? Residential must be becoming saturated, especially once this gets built.

I would assume that will continue to sit. I love all the construction, but I do not think there are enough jobs to keep up with the amount of residential units going up, I hope rental prices don't tank as a result.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:18 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would assume that will continue to sit. I love all the construction, but I do not think there are enough jobs to keep up with the amount of residential units going up, I hope rental prices don't tank as a result.
Actually, the job market in the Philly metro has definitely picked up over the past half year, with 1.5% growth at the metro level and 1.9% growth in the city itself (both are very solid numbers, and it's especially encouraging that the city is now growing faster job-wise than the suburbs).

Monthly News Releases

Certainly a lot of new apartment inventory is being added, but more competition is generally good for the market in terms of rental rates and quality product, and if this level of job growth remains (and there's no reason to believe at the moment that it won't), the absorption rate will be just fine, if not even faster than anticipated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia