Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 07:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Actually, the job market in the Philly metro has definitely picked up over the past half year, with 1.5% growth at the metro level and 1.9% growth in the city itself (both are very solid numbers, and it's especially encouraging that the city is now growing faster job-wise than the suburbs).

Monthly News Releases

Certainly a lot of new apartment inventory is being added, but more competition is generally good for the market in terms of rental rates and quality product, and if this level of job growth remains (and there's no reason to believe at the moment that it won't), the absorption rate will be just fine, if not even faster than anticipated.
Question is around the quality of the jobs. We need good paying jobs, not just service jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Question is around the quality of the jobs. We need good paying jobs, not just service jobs.
Completely agree, and although it's a little bit harder to determine job "quality" through jobs numbers data (assuming we're talking about full-time, middle-class jobs), you can "ballpark" the salary numbers.

Using the same source I cited, of the 13,700 jobs created in Philadelphia itself over the past year, the majority (8,800) are in Education and Health Services or Professional and Business Services, which tend to be pretty solidly living wage jobs: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.t04.htm. The same can also be said for the metro level.

There's also a good chunk of lower-paying leisure and hospitality jobs being created, although still not the majority. But I also find there to be a silver lining in that the boom in those jobs means that the city has truly taken off as food/dining and overnight destination, which is an important amenity for the attraction of very lucrative companies.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Completely agree, and although it's a little bit harder to determine job "quality" through jobs numbers data (assuming we're talking about full-time, middle-class jobs), you can "ballpark" the salary numbers.

Using the same source I cited, of the 13,700 jobs created in Philadelphia itself over the past year, the majority (8,800) are in Education and Health Services or Professional and Business Services, which tend to be pretty solidly living wage jobs: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.t04.htm. The same can also be said for the metro level.

There's also a good chunk of lower-paying leisure and hospitality jobs being created, although still not the majority. But I also find there to be a silver lining in that the boom in those jobs means that the city has truly taken off as food/dining and overnight destination, which is an important amenity for the attraction of very lucrative companies.
+1 Thanks for the analysis!

Old 01-05-2017, 11:23 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'm screaming with joy!

I've been staring at that parking lot for 20 years!

Also this was part of the parcel of land that idiots(sorry, that's what I thought of them) wanted to build the new Phillies stadium years ago. What a waste that would have been...a completely useless "box" for months at a time.

Now there will PEOPLE living there.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Does this further reduce the possibility of anything happening to the Inquirer building? Residential must be becoming saturated, especially once this gets built.
Because there had been zero development around there(I live near this new development) for SO long, I'd say "No" , it's not saturated yet.

The Inquirer Bldg situation is so tragic. It still looks great in city skyline shots with its tower.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I would assume that will continue to sit. I love all the construction, but I do not think there are enough jobs to keep up with the amount of residential units going up, I hope rental prices don't tank as a result.
Maybe more(some) people, who work in 1500 Spring Garden, will bag their suburban commutes and move closer to work.

Listen up CBS10 workers/tv personalities why fight traffic conditions when you can literally roll out of bed and be at work in minutes from the Divine Lorraine, The Alexander, the new rentals going up at Broad and Callowhill and this new project.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:27 PM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm screaming with joy!

I've been staring at that parking lot for 20 years!

Also this was part of the parcel of land that idiots(sorry, that's what I thought of them) wanted to build the new Phillies stadium years ago. What a waste that would have been...a completely useless "box" for months at a time.

Now there will PEOPLE living there.
Not to derail this thread, and I really like the sports complex setup, but a downtown ballpark would have been spectacular (traffic, parking, etc. be damned). I would say that for any city (excluding football stadiums, which I agree is much closer to a useless, huge box most of the year).

Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Not to derail this thread, and I really like the sports complex setup, but a downtown ballpark would have been spectacular (traffic, parking, etc. be damned). I would say that for any city (excluding football stadiums, which I agree is much closer to a useless, huge box most of the year).
Take it from me, you probably would not have liked living, pretty much, across from it ( like I would have been) if it had been built at Broad and Spring Garden St. Chances are it would have forced me to move ....reluctantly. And that would have been pretty ironic since baseball is the only sport I really care about.

The initial idea, probably, was to help, what was, a somewhat sketchy area in need of help years ago. Time has proven that real development(housing!) will be the best thing instead.

I'm in the minority. I never liked the idea of a downtown ballpark. The other old idea was to put it next to Chinatown. Ugh...

Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Offices, apartments and shops planned for large N. Broad St. parking lot site

I don't know if this has been shared, but another new building coming to N. Broad.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Offices, apartments and shops planned for large N. Broad St. parking lot site

I don't know if this has been shared, but another new building coming to N. Broad.
Yeh, yeh, YEH! Did I say, "Yeh"!

Another large parking lot finally biting the dust near where I live.

Interestingly enough Parkway recently bought and renovated that lot only to decide to develop it.

Folks who use that lot will be angry(shrugs) because it gets filled with weekday commuters probably to 1500 Spring Garden. It's primarily empty on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia