Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Totally with you, except for the Rutgers comment. They never would have gotten in the Big Ten with the stadium they had prior to the mid-90's and while the expansion was maybe a bit premature you need to strike when times are good with these things (like Temple is trying to do). Anyway, back to Philly...

Not saying Temple will become a football power - they certainly never will be without further conference realignment that benefits them - but being in a city does not automatically prevent them from elevating the program.

It's true the Northeast is not a hotbed for college football enthusiasm, but they aren't proposing to build a massive stadium. Seems perfectly reasonable, especially if the funding is there.

City stadiums are the best - it would be great if the Union stadium was somewhere within the city limits instead of in Chester.
I'm sorry, but I don't really ever see them sustaining their success. If I remember right, they want something like 35,000 seats. That would be tough to fill even in good times. Again, the fan base isn't really there outside alumni, students, and a few outside fans. Also, imagine the nightmare that area will become on game day with traffic, congestion, tailgating, etc.

I've been to games at Penn State, Michigan, West Virginia, and Ohio State. Its an ingrained part of their culture there, and the entire town shuts down on game day. Its an amazing, uniquely American thing. But those are all in smaller, less urbanized areas with long traditions of success in college football. I just don't see the sustainable interest from an already small fan base where college football isn't popular. When they go back to sucking again (which they eventually will), they'll have an oversized, mostly empty stadium taking up a huge chunk of land in a very dense neighborhood.

They built the Sports Complex right; far away from big neighborhoods, with plenty of parking. Stadiums don't belong in the heart of urban, city neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 12:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,827,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Why do people say stuff like this when they didn't even take the time to research that Temple has the money for the entire stadium through private donations and an unused recreational building grant from the State.

It's ironic that Temple already built a building on the end of the block that faces the only actual neighbors. Does the new gym hurt students and the neighbors too?

Do people feel the same way about Franklin Field?
Try reading this:

College Football: Public Universities Spend Millions On Stadiums, Despite Slim Chance For Payoff

You think the financing for the initial build is all there is? Try reading more about it instead of gobbling up news stories written off of press releases from Temple's PR department.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Why do people say stuff like this when they didn't even take the time to research that Temple has the money for the entire stadium through private donations and an unused recreational building grant from the State.

It's ironic that Temple already built a building on the end of the block that faces the only actual neighbors. Does the new gym hurt students and the neighbors too?

Do people feel the same way about Franklin Field?
Franklin Field is like the Palestra. Both are totally historic, iconic and associated with the premier university in the Philadelphia metro area. Stuff Temple can never claim or will ever be.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,442,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Try reading this:

College Football: Public Universities Spend Millions On Stadiums, Despite Slim Chance For Payoff

You think the financing for the initial build is all there is? Try reading more about it instead of gobbling up news stories written off of press releases from Temple's PR department.
Try learning that stupid basis fluff pieces don't equate to similar circumstances across different states and schools.

i know this is tough for someone who has taken zero time to research the topic to understand this, but Temple pays A LOT in rent to play at the Linc. The Eagles would like to almost double the rent and have a one time 20 million dollar payment upfront. The contract expires at the end of next season with 10mn dollar options to tack on an additional two years to the current contract.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that if you have $130mn in cash and grants and the stadium costs $130mn and you are always going to have to pay rent, that the stadium will pay for itself in a little over a decade or so. I challenge you to back up your claim that financing isn't in place.

The size is estimated between 32-35 thousand with additional classrooms and facilities attached.

It's alright. Fight against develop of an on campus facility that you have nothing to do with. Keep fighting to keep investment from coming to other sections of the city. Temple should never have a real restaurant or support more than just a couple college bars. The school doesn't deserve to grow because it isn't the premier university in Philadelphia. /Saracasm

Old 02-23-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Franklin Field is like the Palestra. Both are totally historic, iconic and associated with the premier university in the Philadelphia metro area. Stuff Temple can never claim or will ever be.
This is a very ignorant statement. It literally has nothing to do with the topic either. I could go on a long tangent about Penn's unwillingness for many many years to actually help Philadelphia has done more damage than any other institution in the city including city council.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,827,966 times
Quote:
Try learning that stupid basis fluff pieces don't equate to similar circumstances across different states and schools.

i know this is tough for someone who has taken zero time to research the topic to understand this, but Temple pays A LOT in rent to play at the Linc. The Eagles would like to almost double the rent and have a one time 20 million dollar payment upfront. The contract expires at the end of next season with 10mn dollar options to tack on an additional two years to the current contract.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that if you have $130mn in cash and grants and the stadium costs $130mn and you are always going to have to pay rent, that the stadium will pay for itself in a little over a decade or so. I challenge you to back up your claim that financing isn't in place.

The size is estimated between 32-35 thousand with additional classrooms and facilities attached.

It's alright. Fight against develop of an on campus facility that you have nothing to do with. Keep fighting to keep investment from coming to other sections of the city. Temple should never have a real restaurant or support more than just a couple college bars. The school doesn't deserve to grow because it isn't the premier university in Philadelphia. /Saracasm
Try bringing it down a notch. Ultimately, it's a f***ing stadium for a mediocre team. And you've proven nothing about ongoing maintenance and spending that will accompany the stadium in the coming decades. You come across as naive regarding costs that follow initial build. They are substantial, sometimes significant enough to change how the school prioritizes its spending in future years (e.g. salaries).

And I'm not fighting anything. I'm just a proponent of a university focusing on its duty (yes, duty) to its students and not real estate transactions or football stadiums.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Try bringing it down a notch. Ultimately, it's a f***ing stadium for a mediocre team. And you've proven nothing about ongoing maintenance and spending that will accompany the stadium in the coming decades. You come across as naive regarding costs that follow initial build. They are substantial, sometimes significant enough to change how the school prioritizes its spending in future years (e.g. salaries).

And I'm not fighting anything. I'm just a proponent of a university focusing on its duty (yes, duty) to its students and not real estate transactions or football stadiums.
I can't lie. I get fired up talking about this.

I am a sports fanatic. My family gives quite a bit of money to Temple. I personally think that a stadium will add to the liveliness and cohesiveness to the campus along with drawing millions of consumer dollars to go right into businesses around it. Temple has done a lot and continues to do a ton to improve its academics. It can build a stadium and make the academics better at the same time.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times
A topic change. Inga actually writes a forward thinking piece about the never ending fear of heights in Philadelphia.

Message to Society Hill: Building's height isn't the problem

Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
This is a very ignorant statement. It literally has nothing to do with the topic either. I could go on a long tangent about Penn's unwillingness for many many years to actually help Philadelphia has done more damage than any other institution in the city including city council.
Wow, I suppose being the largest private employer in the city means nothing. But, please do go on with whatever rant you want.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A topic change. Inga actually writes a forward thinking piece about the never ending fear of heights in Philadelphia.

Message to Society Hill: Building's height isn't the problem
Kinda makes you wonder whether the Society Hill Towers would be built today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia