Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm a younger X'er, and I'm not sure if others on this board feel the same, but the local political system is such a disgrace, I can't imagine getting involved. Personally, I don't have the desire to spend my life arguing and getting threatened by the trash bags currently in office. And the truth is that you have to play ball to some extent to get in and make allies. Nobody's hands are truly clean if we're being honest.

I feel the same about the state and federal level. The whole thing is a disgrace and these career politicians are hard to beat. You'd have to become a career politician yourself to make real difference, and that's assuming a difference can be made at this point. Basically, politics is a life sentence. No thanks.
I concur with everything you've said. But it doesn't stop me from hoping for a different and brighter future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Wow! Had anyone heard about this before?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
29 mins from NYC to DC. Wouldn't that be great? At least if there's a crash, you'll just incinerate. haha.
This news is phenomenal!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 AM

377 posts, read 474,836 times
I'm 32. I'll be surprised if that's a reality in my working life. However, it's really cool. If this was some random startup founder I wouldn't take any stock in it, but considering what he's done with Tesla and SpaceX (and others) you have to take notice.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
If anyone's going to accomplish rapid, inter-city mobility on a massive scale and in a reasonable timeframe, it needs to come from the private sector at this point. And if anyone's up to the task, Elon Musk is it.

This would also very likely put Philadelphia on a whole other level in terms of investment across the board. Let's cross our fingers!

Last edited by Duderino; 07-20-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Wow! Had anyone heard about this before?
Yea, it's been talked about for a few years. They have been holding an annual competition in San Francisco to demonstrate the latest hyperloop tech.

Musk owes Philly something! Must biographies say that he really came out of his shell while living in Philly.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
I'm a younger X'er, and I'm not sure if others on this board feel the same, but the local political system is such a disgrace, I can't imagine getting involved. Personally, I don't have the desire to spend my life arguing and getting threatened by the trash bags currently in office. And the truth is that you have to play ball to some extent to get in and make allies. Nobody's hands are truly clean if we're being honest.

I feel the same about the state and federal level. The whole thing is a disgrace and these career politicians are hard to beat. You'd have to become a career politician yourself to make real difference, and that's assuming a difference can be made at this point. Basically, politics is a life sentence. No thanks.
Back in the 60s, there was a saying that if you don't like how things are going, get involved. That can mean a lot of things. Calling, writing, or showing up at representatives' offices. Going to protests, helping a campaign, or going out on a registration drive. Most of all, it means voting. You might have to hold your nose & pick the better of the choices available.

Boomers were born into a world where, in this country, there were various degrees of segregation. Women had less rights, were not allowed to hold many jobs that had better pay & it was perfectly legal to pay a woman far less than a man doing the exact same job.

Do you think that the laws in this country changed on their own? People didn't just suddenly "see the light". As an adult, you don't get a trophy for showing up. Whether it's running for office, helping a campaign or some other involvement, you reap what you sow.

If you want change, make change.

Do you think that Corey Booker is crooked?

Old 07-20-2017, 12:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Back in the 60s, there was a saying that if you don't like how things are going, get involved. That can mean a lot of things. Calling, writing, or showing up at representatives' offices. Going to protests, helping a campaign, or going out on a registration drive. Most of all, it means voting. You might have to hold your nose & pick the better of the choices available.

Boomers were born into a world where, in this country, there were various degrees of segregation. Women had less rights, were not allowed to hold many jobs that had better pay & it was perfectly legal to pay a woman far less than a man doing the exact same job.

Do you think that the laws in this country changed on their own? People didn't just suddenly "see the light". As an adult, you don't get a trophy for showing up. Whether it's running for office, helping a campaign or some other involvement, you reap what you sow.

If you want change, make change.

Do you think that Corey Booker is crooked?
This is an ongoing saga. As a recap, I vote, I volunteer, I've done voter registration drives, I've been a delegate, etc. The constant push is to get involved in politics, but of course, this conversation's focus is on a larger level.

The 60s were nearly 60 years ago and the political landscape in America has changed dramatically. The establishment is much more corrupt, complicated, and controlled by big business and the two political parties. All action is drum-able to marketing campaigns and 24-hour news networks, putting the system on auto-pilot IMO. In other words, what was done in the 60s cannot necessarily be done in 2017. And what needs to be done in 2017 is far different than what was done in the 60s.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 07-20-2017 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
I'm 32. I'll be surprised if that's a reality in my working life. However, it's really cool. If this was some random startup founder I wouldn't take any stock in it, but considering what he's done with Tesla and SpaceX (and others) you have to take notice.
I certainly won't see it. Maybe my youngest great-nephews(12 and 3 years old) will.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yea, it's been talked about for a few years. They have been holding an annual competition in San Francisco to demonstrate the latest hyperloop tech.

Musk owes Philly something! Must biographies say that he really came out of his shell while living in Philly.
Heavens, I had no idea he lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia