Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 09:10 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
It must be double negative week. Quote from the article chris mentions. Article below.

“The Parkway is very important to Jay,” Perez said, “so I’m not sure that not having the Parkway will work.”

Mayor Kenney: 'I love Jay-Z' and want to keep Made in America in Philly
What I don't understand is why the Parkway will no longer work? There are not other spaces in Philadelphia (besides the stadiums) that can accommodate an event like this... except maybe the Delaware River, but how would that require any less preparation?

And if this simply comes down to neighbors complaining, then hire more security.

Or the city getting short changed by a few hundred thousand, that can EASILY be worked out between the parties. Simply cancelling or relocating is an illogical "fix"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:16 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What I don't understand is why the Parkway will no longer work? There are not other spaces in Philadelphia (besides the stadiums) that can accommodate an event like this... except maybe the Delaware River, but how would that require any less preparation?

And if this simply comes down to neighbors complaining, then hire more security.

Or the city getting short changed by a few hundred thousand, that can EASILY be worked out between the parties. Simply cancelling or relocating is an illogical "fix"
Agree. Based on that article it looks like they might walk it back. I also get the mess, cost of the mess, etc., but that should be able to be worked out. I'm sure JayZ could cough up some money towards the cleanup if necessary. The light from the Superbowl win faded fast. It would be nice to have this although $175 for a two day general admission pass seems a bit steep.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Agree. Based on that article it looks like they might walk it back. I also get the mess, cost of the mess, etc., but that should be able to be worked out. I'm sure JayZ could cough up some money towards the cleanup if necessary. The light from the Superbowl win faded fast. It would be nice to have this although $175 for a two day general admission pass seems a bit steep.
I don't care about the concert one way or another, but what doesn't make sense is Kenney's explanation. He stated something along the lines of "Philly tourism is in great shape, so we don't need this anymore". Seems like a layman's logic or a lousy excuse (both?). Since when shouldn't we care about all of the things that contribute to the city? And in case he hasn't noticed, the city and its establishments are exactly at the pinnacle of financial well-being. Kenney's a dope.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I don't care about the concert one way or another, but what doesn't make sense is Kenney's explanation. He stated something along the lines of "Philly tourism is in great shape, so we don't need this anymore". Seems like a layman's logic or a lousy excuse (both?). Since when shouldn't we care about all of the things that contribute to the city? And in case he hasn't noticed, the city and its establishments are exactly at the pinnacle of financial well-being. Kenney's a dope.
Dope, doofus, buffoon who doesn't give a crap about the majority of people he serves. That's why I'm angry Karen .

Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Exactly. I have never heard a mayor from another major city state that they "don't need an event anymore" what an idiotic logic.

Philadelphia tourism is doing well, but still has plenty of room to improve.

I also don't care about the concert, I am just looking at the bigger picture.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:39 AM

On a lighter note, here is a fun article about Diner en Blanc (another event I don't care about, but its a fun event for the city).

https://www.phillymag.com/business/2...natanya-kayli/

Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:

Is a 2-3 day concert really alienating residents?.... These people live on or near the Parkway, its not a country pasture, its a major boulevard that hosts major events from time to time. I feel no pity for people who live in that area, they CHOSE to live there. If people pissing on their step a few times a year is their biggest problem, then I rest my case.

The only suggestion I would make is to increase police/ security in surrounding neighborhoods to prevent any rowdiness from spilling over.

I gave Hannah my views about it in my reply to her.

It's fine that you disagreed as others have. And I do see your pov. But mine is just as valid because I actually live there.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I gave Hannah my views about it in my reply to her.

It's fine that you disagreed as others have. And I do see your pov. But mine is just as valid because I actually live there.
I have several friends who live minutes from the art museum and they have hardly any complaints about the event. Some just go to the beach for the weekend and its done.

I also live on 5th Avenue in Manhattan, there is a parade or some sort of event every other week, so I am not talking out of my a**. I knew what I was getting myself into when I moved to 5th Ave, just like how these people should know when they move near the Parkway.

The difference I see in New York is that there are 4 cops at every corner (NYC obviously needs more of a police presence), but I see the petty neighborhood complaints as first world problems at their finest.

Where do neighbors suggest the event goes? There are no other suitable alternatives for events of this scale, if the only reason of no events on the Parkway is because neighbors complain?... That is not good enough for me. I would however try to work with neighbors to see what could be done to minimize the event impact on the neighborhood.

Now if there was a shooting or years of violence or open drug trade around this event, I would be in support of changes, but this event goes on year after year with very few criminal disturbances, so again I do not see the huge alienating problems neighbors are facing with this event.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Nutter was a very good mayor (visionary by Philadelphia standards), since his departure, the administration has been unconcerned with raising Philadelphia's vision and profile. Nutter knew we were in a league with DC, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Kenney... idk what he thinks, but not that, and the rest of the administration doesn't help much.

If Nutter had lost the summit or any other major event due to the city's wrong doings, he would fight to get it back. Kenney has a s*** happens view, which might work in small-town West Virginia, but not Philadelphia.
I'm not giving you this "assignment" but for those who have the resources to find out( Sandy? ) where the devil is
Nutter? What is he doing and what does his noninvolvement in this city today mean? When you "disappear" the way he has how much did he actually care in the first place? Does anyone ever question Rendell's love for Philadelphia? He stayed involved and engaged.

And, Nutter stumbled during his first term. No one remembers that now. Granted his first term was deeply affected by the financial crisis.

I liked Nutter a lot because Street was the very definition of corruption.

As I said, I would rather "lose" Kenney but he could have really screwed up the Amazon hq2 request and obviously that didn't happen.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
So will someone please talk Brian Simms into leaving Harrisburg, coming home, and challenging him next year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia