Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
This is random but I crossed off a “Philly bucket list” item the other day. During the Free Streets event on North Broad, I got the chance to meet Jane Golden and help paint a new mural on the front of the Uptown Theater. I got to also take a tour of the theater which was really cool. Learned about the ‘chitlin circuit’. I was happy to see the main stage was still in relatively good shape.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitlin%27_Circuit

Sadly there is no timeframe for rehabbing the entire building. Shoring up the roof is the next step.
Like many people(especially black people), of a certain age, I went to shows in that theater. Believe me when
I say you all really missed something! Try to imagine seeing James Brown live in his prime. Nothing you see in a video even gets close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 11:15 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
My parents say the same thing. Even that part of Philly was the "Original" Uptown.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
My parents say the same thing. Even that part of Philly was the "Original" Uptown.
It was Philly's version of the Apollo theater. The Motown Review is what I usually went to see.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...-headquarters/

From a week ago, but what do you all think of this? Why isn't Comcast revered like Amazon or Apple?
All equally evil corporations.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:24 AM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
When people think of Apple, they think of iPhones, Macbooks, and Steve Jobs.
When people think of Amazon, they think of rapid delivery of just about anything you could want and Jeff Bezos.
When people think of Comcast, they think about high bills and frustrating phone conversations.

Apple and Amazon are also both thought of as cutting-edge tech companies, while Comcast is often viewed as a a more corporate, slow moving telecom company. This isn't entirely true or fair, but it takes a long time to shift public perception.

Regardless of public opinions though, Comcast is setup to be one of the dominant media and tech companies moving forward.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

From a week ago, but what do you all think of this? Why isn't Comcast revered like Amazon or Apple?
Because people take the familiar for granted.

Comcast remains in the hunt for Sky News, a BBC competitor. Landing them would gain Comcast a foothold in the EU.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:

We can live without amazon and Apple if need be although I would argue amazon is a lot more evil than Apple. BUT depending on where you live you might be stuck with Comcast. I hate Comcast but I actually hate ATT more .

Old 08-16-2018, 09:54 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
We can live without amazon and Apple if need be although I would argue amazon is a lot more evil than Apple. BUT depending on where you live you might be stuck with Comcast. I hate Comcast but I actually hate ATT more .
I don't hate any of them, its corporate America. But I don't praise any of them either. I actually try to avoid shopping on Amazon.

I think because Comcast is more customer service oriented (which they have struggled in), it makes them more susceptible to hate.

I wish people would be slightly more appreciative that they have planted major roots in Philadelphia, they could have easily left for New York years ago.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:58 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
I don't hate any of them, its corporate America. But I don't praise any of them either. I actually try to avoid shopping on Amazon.

I think because Comcast is more customer service oriented (which they have struggled in), it makes them more susceptible to hate.

I wish people would be slightly more appreciative that they have planted major roots in Philadelphia, they could have easily left for New York years ago.
Comcast has succeeded with me re customer service. That’s where ATT lost me. If I thought it would have done any good, I would have filed a formal complaint but honestly I was so worn out and down I didn’t bother. Which is what I’m sure they count on.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:53 AM

95 posts, read 180,621 times
Quote:

Apple and Amazon have worked on cultivating excellent customer experiences. Amazon has hugely reliable fast delivery, and will reship lost orders no questions asked. Apple makes pretty, easy to use products.

Because they have a monopoly in many areas, Comcast hasn't had to focus on customer delight, and they haven't. This hurts their public perception.

As much as they aspire to be a tech company, they are also way behind. Xfinity web streaming is far less reliable than Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. They have to catch up, but it is hard. Because they don't have a reputation as a hot tech company, they have trouble hiring talented software engineers of the sort who might go work for Amazon or Google. But because they can't hire the best talent, they have trouble burnishing their reputation and improving their product. They need to get out of the cycle somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia